Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PHL-LHR flights

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2001, 4:17 am
Original Poster

PHL-LHR flights

Just a quick question? What are the load factors normally like for these flights? Are they profitable for BA? Not many airlines use PHL...since it's in between Washington DC and New York. I'm just interested in whether they get good loads in and out in any class. Thanks
Old Mar 13, 2001, 6:13 am
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
I don't know about the current situation, but I used to fly BA from PHL to LHR once or twice a year up until they split with USAir. USAir used to fly a lot of connecting flights into PHL and most of the flights I was on were always quite full (even though I tend to fly late March/early April and then mid to late October).
Old Mar 13, 2001, 10:24 am

Between mid-1999 and mid-2000 I was flying at least 1x per month from PHL-LON (and sometimes onward to the continent) to complete a project for work. BA was often full (if not overbooked) in Y class and sometimes full in Club World. Typically I would fly on Saturday evenings and there were many business passengers heading over, presumably on high priced tickets.

I was almost always on full Y fare (over $1000 one way) and managed to get upgraded just once to Club due to an oversale. I was normally lucky enough to get row 26, which is the door 3 exit row in coach.

Their check-in facilities at PHL are poor. Sometimes only 2 agents for Y, 2 for Club and 1 for F. Since everyone originates in PHL (no connections) they are checking in 2 777 flights with minimal staff. Y class lines were often a 30 minute ordeal.

Thankfully they stopped using T3 at LHR for PHL flights, as that was a poor facility and made connections difficult. The a/c was often remote parked requiring a bus to the terminal.

I have come to prefer US Airways' service to LGW, even though it is farther from my company's London office. The A330 is comfortable, LGW is easier to navigate, and I can maximize my miles on US. It also allows me to do open-jaws when elsewhere in Europe (e.g., fly into London, work a few days, head to MAD, GVA, or CDG with UK coworkers and then back home on US from another city without going via LHR).

PHL is doing very well overall with their international service. BA operates 2 non-stop flights daily (unlike the days of the 1-stop via EWR or PIT from 10 years ago), LH reintroduced the FRA service that they had dropped in 1992/93, and AF has come back after leaving the market in 1989 (and recently upgraded from A310 to 763 on the route). BA even upgraded one of their flights last summer to a 742 to handle the loads. Not bad for mostly O/D traffic.

US' load factors are also good, however they pick up more connecting traffic.
Old Mar 16, 2001, 10:21 pm

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
US does a nice job with it's LGW flights. Between US and BA, PHL is a great place to head on over.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.