Web of (not so) intrigue

Old Mar 1, 1999, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Web of (not so) intrigue

When I am actually able to access my account via the web site (I'm a US Exec club member) it gives me out of date info (like October last year). Any ideas what's up?
Old Mar 1, 1999, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Has anyone actually accessed their account on the web this year? Every time I check it, the page says "this service is unavailable".

Does anyone know when BA plans to get this running again?
Old Mar 2, 1999, 3:25 am

Stimpy: Until last week the account information has been available during UK working times, so if you were early enough in the US you could get it.

The updates were done outside UK working time to limit disruption to the majority of the Exec Club's members.

However, since last week, BA have been in the final stages of updating their systems for the integration of OneWorld. So there is no availability at all.

BA say they need to do this and there is no way 'round it.

Personally - and I am speaking with no IT knowledge what so ever here - I fail to believe that they can't sort it out without loosing the on-line balance facility.

I think they need a good kick up the arse over this!
MF
Old Mar 2, 1999, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Ah, I had only been spot checking occasionally so I must have missed the site when it was up.

Interesting that the message on the web site says that it doesn't work "Due to circumstances beyond our control". What, are Martians interfering with the data? What could possibly be beyond BA's control?
Old Mar 2, 1999, 10:20 am
Original Poster

I've had intermittent access to it this year, but there was some IE 4.0 bug earlier (those **** cookies). Most of the other major airlines online seem to get it right, but BA just continues an amatuerish approach to the whole thing.

There was a time when the web gave my balance 40K miles more than the phone system, but nobody could tell me how I might get those actual miles! Some story about how it was "out of their control" since the miles came from the UK. No excuses, just get it sorted out I say.
Old Mar 2, 1999, 11:03 am
Original Member

They've been redesigning their site during the past several months, and there are some bugs in the new scripts.

One of the problems I noticed was that after the initial 'improvements' I couldn't access my account info via Netscape 4.5 on a Mac platform. It worked with IE 3.01, which I use when checking cross-browser compatibility...

Hopefully they will fix their scripts - but getting a website that complex to function properly can be a challenge.
Old Mar 17, 1999, 5:09 am
Original Member

Merry : Did you hear any more about what's going on with the exec-website? It's still unavailable.

Do you know if there are any new features introduced because of the "1w integration"

Cheers
Old Mar 17, 1999, 7:47 am

Spike: My understanding is that BA treat the Executive Club web site problem as being on par with chewing gum on a piece of their blue carpet - ie. they don't appear to care less.

They need to get this fixed quickly - especially as Mr Branson is shortly to unvail the new Virgin Atlantic website, and I am sure he will make much capital of BA's recent failing in this area.

Quite frankly I think the current situation is an embarresment and shows a certain element of arrogance that does BA no credit.

Now, having said that I am sure my friends at BA will find my post very 'stimulating reading' and I would expect a fax/phone call from them any time this afternoon.

I will let you know......
MF
Old Mar 17, 1999, 8:04 am

Spike: By the way, I am sure you know this anyway, but you can get an automated balance over the 'phone by calling 0990 511 806.
MF
Old Mar 19, 1999, 12:46 am
Original Member

Merry - thanks.

It's taken me nearly two days to reply because I was so gobsmacked at you calling BA arrogant. However I'm glad your coming round to the concensus view

I'm also pleased to hear that BA actually look at this site. I'd be interested in any feedback you had from them.

p.s. I think you are plain wrong with your analogy - I'm sure the gum would rate as a stratospheric priority in comparison to this!
Old Mar 19, 1999, 7:23 am

Spike: I am very happy to let it be known when BA is not up to an acceptable service level and in this instance they are a joke.

I have no news I'm affraid, so perhaps Carol hasn't looked at this site recently or they don't care!

We will just have to wait until Mr Branson's new site is launched, he embarresses BA and then they do something about it...

Old Mar 19, 1999, 7:48 am
Original Member

well, let's hope that RB gets his new site up & running soon, so that BA makes certain that we have account access again.

It worked so well for so long - why did they have to go & break it?? over-engineering???

Old Mar 19, 1999, 8:30 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
the swiss support BA's anti-Branson fight by beating Branson (and undermining his PR "balloon" attempts) with Piccard's (and his british partner's) balloon round-the-world-record. WE (swiss) are soooooo proud!

(it is not OMNI, it is about flying RTW ...)
Old Mar 19, 1999, 8:40 am

My second salvo/Branson comment seemed to do the trick....

Apparently BA are very aware of the problem and are doing everything in their power to resolve it urgently.

The problem is as a result of "back end functionality" - Bab's will tell me what that means I'm sure!

BA would like to point out that they are in the process of "enhancing their award winning web-site with the introduction of flexible entry points", I can hardly contain myself.

Fact of the day: The BA website received 130 million hits last month.

All very useful I'm sure, but no firm indication of when it will be fixed! But they have given me the name and number of the minion managing the repair, so I can call him annoyingly frequently for update!
MF
Old Mar 19, 1999, 9:02 am
Original Member

well, as long as they get their website sorted out promptly, so that it matches the rest of their superlative service...

They could just put the old version (which worked) up, pro tem.

I do have some sympathy for those whose job it is to read your rantings, Merry - but we appreciate it if they get things done, as courteously complaining via BA's website (which I have done on more than one occasion in the past) doesn't seem to produce much of a response.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.