Wiki Posts
Search

Concorde special for 1998

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 1998, 10:21 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Concorde special for 1998

Did anyone else use this special? (90K miles for oneway on Concorde, otherway club world)?
Not coming from the metro New York area, in hindsight taking the Concorde seemed like much ado about nothing. Definitely an aircraft of its' time (developed late 60s/early 70s).
Old Oct 11, 1998, 11:20 am
Original Member

Location: London,UK. Ok, about 100 miles from London really, but how many Americans know where Market Harborough is?
I didn't use this offer as I am a UK Exec Club member. BUT I have flown Concorde on many occassions.

It is a special experience. Apart from the obvious advantage of speed, there is a VERY special feel about Concorde (either BA or Air France - or if your can remember it, half a Singapore Airlines plane!!!).

The service is exceptional, there is nothing else like it in the air. On-day, not so far into the future, Concorde will no longer offer scheduled flights, anyone who has had the opportunity to fly on the first supersonic passenger aircraft, and not taken it has missed a part in history.

The plane maybe from the 60's/70's but it still has a style and grace which is both current and enchanting. The pitch may not be great, but the service sure as hell makes up for it.

My opinion is that it is the best civilian flying experience on the planet. For 90k miles (US) you missed a great experience!
MF

Old Oct 11, 1998, 1:28 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
ok merry flyer - you did convince me - next time, I combine the train (you hate) and ship (train to Southampton, Queen Elizabeth to New York) and a will I take the Concorde back.
Old Oct 11, 1998, 1:30 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
I forgot to ask. Any miles from your Queen?
Old Oct 11, 1998, 2:55 pm
pgupta011

I flew the Concorde once on Air France, did not think it was anything special. The plane and seats were cramped. The meal and service were ok. There is no sense of speed, and there is a display on the plane to inform passengers that the plane has surpassed the speed of sound or that the current speed is so many Mach. The transaltantic journey was quite fast, but in my case I had to get a red eye connection from the US West coast with several hours of layover at JFK. My return journey was non stop on a 747, and much more comfortable and enjoyable.

Old Oct 12, 1998, 1:13 am
Original Member

Location: London,UK. Ok, about 100 miles from London really, but how many Americans know where Market Harborough is?
Rudi, Booked the QE2 through British Airways Holidays (you get miles for that) and book it from a British Airways Travel Shop (you get miles for that).

You should get enough for, well, the cost of the 'phone call to the UK to book it!

Check out the "British Airways Holidays - Concorde Vacations" brochure.
MF

Old Oct 12, 1998, 1:17 am
Original Member

pgupta011, Ok the gloves are off now. I was being charitable about Air France earlier. The French don't seem to get Concorde, quite like BA does.

Concorde is British Airways. But I think you are right about connections etc. I have had the same experience and tend to agree.

I still don't think you can beat Concorde though. And those luggage labels get you a little extra respect anywhere in the world!
MF

Old Oct 12, 1998, 4:42 pm
Commander Catcop

One of my first flight experiences was on
the BA Concourde for my first trip to London.

Yes, I paid a lot of money, but I was staying
with friends there (who have since moved)
so I decided to treat myself.

It was a fun experience and just as I was dozing off The plane landed. But I've flown
"regular" BA and it (and Singapore and
Lufthansa) are among the best airlines I have
ever been on.

Someday when I have a little money I will do
the Concorde/BA package you mentioned Merry
Flyer.

But Theatre's very good in London this season. I'm very tempted! CATMAN

Old Oct 17, 1998, 12:38 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

whoops, merry flyer, mis-spoke. I did use the promotion and basically agreed with gupta--since I was not local to the NYC area it was just too much effort to want to ever bother again. Also did not get any luggage tags. Am kicking myself though for not picking up the portfolio in the seat next to mine also as a souvenir.
Old Oct 28, 1998, 11:00 am
Original Member

This post is especially for Merry - Egon Ronay's (Nov 1996) comparison of the Air France and BA Concordes.

A Tale of Two Concordes

The very word Concorde is identified with the very best of flying - and in service, food and wine. It is the acme of luxury, the non plus ultra of the air. You expect to be thoroughly spoiled in a sophisticated way.

So I feared for British prestige and British Airways when I flew both their Concorde and that of Air France to and from New York.

To make the comparison objective and my dissecting knife sharp, my tickets were fully paid and I flew both planes on the same day. I had an Air France lunch at 12 noon French time, arrived in New York at 8.30am American time and ate British Airway's dinner at 1.30pm American time, landing at
Heathrow at 10.30pm London time. At least my body clock didn't need adjusting!

My first flight was Paris-New York and I have to say I expected to start at the top since everything supplied to Air France's Concorde would obviously come from France.

At Charles de Gaulle there was no special Concorde check-in desk: a business class desk had to suffice. Perhaps in the country of egalite, a mere difference of =A32,500 return between Concorde and business class doesn't count.

But the principle was carried a little too far, I thought, when on arrival at the much promoted, special Concorde lounge, whose praises they sing on Internet, they took my coat and put it on a thin wire hanger that may well have come from a dry cleaner's. The 'luxury' lounge was almost tawdry with armchairs only midgets could sink into. Not spacious to start off with, it gradually grew somewhat crowded. Four or five wines, including champagne, were being served by a
young man informally dressed in a short-sleeved shirt. The wines themselves had unceremoniously been dumped in a large bowl awash with water and ice.

My search for luxury took me to the buffet table. But this was small, offering no other food than miniature croissants, brioches and shortbread. The table was adorned with a few bottles of spirits and - I couldn't believe my eyes - coffee automats so you could serve yourself with coffee or tea from taps identified by makeshift labels.

Next to them were jiggers of UHT milk to guarantee that if the coffee was good (and it wasn't) its taste would be spoiled. Those who preferred hot chocolate could make it themselves from sachets of powder and hot water.

There were no waiting or bar staff. Plenty of phones though, even if local calls were not free.

A five-foot high glass partition divided us from the club class lounge which, as far as I could see, had exactly the same features but was smaller.

In the midst of this disappointing mediocrity, there was a sudden sign of hope: a solitary, half-hidden flight menu, with the wines printed on the left of a menu in French and English, both in terse, military language. Not only was there not a separate wine list, but there was no choice of wine
for any of the five courses.

There was nothing terse about the names of the wines: Corton Charlemagne 1992, Grand Cru, needs no embellishment (though perhaps a slight lowering of its age). The aperitif was simply listed as 'Champagne Cuve Speciale' - unjustified modesty as it turned out to be Taittinger Comtes de Champagne
1988: for me, the best champagne there is.

(But it was only when I asked to see the bottle during the flight that I discovered this treasure. Normally, it is just handed to you already in an ugly glass. Alas, it was wasted as, at great height [over 50,000 feet in our case], the palate becomes insensitive to delicate flavours. Surely Air
France must know this!)

We left the lounge without even a bon voyage - perhaps they were glad to get rid of us?

But I looked forward to some cossetting on the famously uncomfortable plane with its narrow aisles and low, curved ceilings.

There were smiles, but they reminded me of Marcel Marceau: mimed from the neck up and not from the heart.

But I was ready to forgive everything as I anticipated the best of French gastronomy. I did not let myself be turned off by the amuse geuele, a dryish, slice of a brittle little roulade (ingredients unidentifiable), a small canape of jellied, probably tinned, asparagus and half a boiled egg
with a coffee-spoonful of salmon 'caviare'.

Never mind, the first course promised better: 'Assiette Marine', translated into 'smoked salmon assortment'. It consisted of smoked salmon (tasting farmed if of anything at all), marinated salmon (strangely white but at least with an interesting texture), and a remarkably dry slice of slightly
smoked steamed (or boiled?) salmon, plus five or six pearls of salmon roe.

Exceptionally forgettable - and the Chablis to go with it wasn't available!

Tournedos po=EAlee followed. The meat was sauteed and far too well done. Sliced, sauteed tennis shoes probably taste like the garnish that came with it: tightly-rolled-up sticks of oyster mushrooms (Air France couldn't translate them and they remained pleurotes in English).

I have rarely had a blander-tasting dish of food, aggravated by a rubbery bread roll (I had to ask for butter). But it couldn't spoil the excellent Morey Saint-Denis, 1988.

Excellence at last, and it continued with dessert: a sponge roll with vanilla mousse and raspberry sauce. But it was accompanied (why?) by a fruit salad consisting only of grapefruit, orange, bits of pineapple and too much Kiwi fruit. Had France's whole crop of apples, pears, strawberries, raspberries and grapes fallen victim to a natural disaster?

The coffee, though quite strong, had no aroma and was flat.
The service, which was reasonably efficient, lacked the real caring one should have felt, or sincere friendliness or natural kindliness. The head of cabin staff should be relegated to the ranks, and the chef relegated to the kitchen sink.

What has happened to those tokens of luxury once synonymous with Concorde? Where have all the truffles, caviare and foie gras gone? It may be sacriligeous to ask, but are the French losing their savoir faire and joie de vivre? Have the French lost all their taste for luxury, even at well over =A35000 per return flight.

As I walked away, I looked back at that beautiful bird in Air France's keep. It may be part of its design, but this time it should droop its nose in shame.

At least the flight was not special enough to bring me down to earth with a bump when there was no privileged short-cut to JFK's notoriously slow passport control and the baggage hall (although, to be fair, it's the same when you leave British Airway's Concorde).

Approaching the British Airway's Concorde lounge I pondered: if what I had just experienced passed for the French idea of luxury and sophistication these days, how would the British - with their somewhat austere approach to luxury and good living and doubtful (though now undeserved) reputation for
gastronomy and service - compare?

My arrival at the lounge was an eye-opener. Three or four times the size of Air France's in Paris, it was palacially spacious and supremely comfortable, decorated in relaxed good taste with big, new-looking armchairs and lounge staff that could not be bettered.

I was several hours early but, after her initial surprise, the hostess was infinitely kinder than her French counterpart and genuinely solicitous about my comfort in the time I had to kill.

I called a few friends - local calls were free. The steward - more like the perfect butler - patiently spent a long time on getting me a call overseas and, even though these are not free, refused to accept the $11 owing. 'With our compliments', he said.

The buffet was much bigger than in Paris, very well organised and with staff who constantly replenished the exceptionally good, fresh small sandwiches. There was also a good selection, plus fruit, celery sticks, walnuts, olives etc.

The coffee was good Cona-type with jugs of fresh milk and cream. All in all, I was quite sorry to leave, even after four hours.

The flight attendants also seemed truly pleased to see the passengers. Indeed, the amount of attention all round was almost embarrassing. No smiling masks here!

The menus and wine lists were beautifully produced and informative. How about being advised on one's wines by Michael Broadbent, Jancis Robinson and Hugh Johnson?

The aperitif, properly served from the bottle was the superb Champagne Pommery, Cuvee Speciale Louise Pommery 1987, shrewdly chosen as, even at 45,000 feet, it maintained its inimitably perfect balance and wonderful tiny bubbles.

A delicious, simple first course was avocado, shellfish and a small piece of sweet water melon - which, to my surprise, proved an inspirational addition. It arrived with a choice of four different rolls, all warm and exemplary, and with a perfect Grand Cru Chablis 1992.

As opposed to Air France's lack of choice in any course, British Airways offers three main courses. To make the comparison as exact as possible, I chose beef again. This time, it was a roast, garlic-crusted tenderloin of beef and I don't hesitate to say it was the best dish I have ever had on
any airline.

Hats off to British Airways and all my previous skirmishes with them forgotten. The accompanying mellow Les Forts de Latour 1978 made me wish that Concorde flight times were longer.

An imaginative, feather-light wine jelly, containing a few excellent raspberries, was followed (we were on a British plane) by a well-ripened camembert and a gulp of hard-to-miss Dow's 1978 Tawny port.

The difference between the Air France and British Airways staff was that with the former you felt you were being catered for. The British Airways Concorde experience oozed luxury, refinement and a genuine concern for passengers well-being.

In virtually all categories, BA triumphed over Air France in standards of service and quality. The crew's ceaseless efforts turned dinner into a warm convivial occasion.

The Air France Concorde could - and should - learn from BA.
Old Oct 28, 1998, 11:01 am
Original Member

Should I have posted that under your nom de plume, Merry? Hopefully by now your anniversary date has come & gone with nothing but adoration for you from BA...
Old Oct 28, 1998, 12:01 pm
Commander Catcop

BaoBab... I can hear Merry Flyer saying "I
told you so" as he dances on his soft blue
carpet.

This report was an eyeopener, having only flown the BA version of the Concorde a few years ago. It was exceptional, and I was sorry to get off (though I did hit my head three times on the ceiling, with this flight attendant who looked like the beautiful Kate Winset bringing over ice wrapped in a towel each time for my aching head.)

My friends in Paris warned me to avoid Air
France's Concorde, even AIr france in General. Could it be that the deepening
French Recession, selloff of state run businesses, and other problems are hurting
Air France? That could be the reason their
Concorde is a bit tattered. CATMAN
Old Oct 28, 1998, 12:40 pm
Original Member

Anything to keep the Anglo-French argument alive, Catman... it does sound as though Air France's Concorde is eminently miss-able.
Old Oct 29, 1998, 1:38 am
Original Member

Baobab: "Told you so!".

Many thanks for that report it was music to my ears. If I wasn't so jet-lagged that I can hardly open my eyes, I would indeed be dancing on that famous-blue-carpet this afternoon, if, I wasn't winging myself to sunny Paris - yuck- with.... you guessed it Air France. YUCK. YUCK. YUCK.

Alas, I have even more diabolical news about Concorde. The British Press reported at the weekend that my arch villan (Richard Branson, for those of you who don't keep up with my constant fight against the world)is trying to lease a Concorde from Air France so he can compete with BA on the London-New York route.

This would be a travisty for Britain. Concorde is fine in BA's hands - as the report above proves - what will Virgin do: Slot machines?, video-games?, "A glass of Virgin Cola or Virgin Vodka sir?", They will fill the plane with tourists going to Florida, they will do special excursions where they stick Mickey-Mouse ears on the aircrafts nose...

I can't go on. It is a disaster waiting to happen. And the French know it. That is why they are considering it. They think "we can't run a decent Concorde service, so we'll let Virgin lower the standard if the whole thing and **** the English [they have never forgiven us for Waterloo].

These rantings are a self-less act. Please someone from BA let us know you are out there and let us know how you plan to retaliate. What are your plans. Please do not let the evil empire ruin one of our nations symbols of great achievement (oh all right! one of our symbols of beating the French)do something BA.

But on an entierly un-related subject, since Baobab brought it up, I still havn't heard anything about my continued membership of the most dinstinguished order of Premier Card holders.
MF

Old Oct 29, 1998, 2:18 am
Original Member

I would like it to be noted that the word above which this software decided was worthy of a **** was in no way a swear word, well not in English anyway.

I have taken the liberty of checking the Oxford Book of English Slang and there is no mention. Therefore I stand wrongly accused.

But I am proud. Yes proud. Proud that I have joined that fine body of men who have been **** by this software.
MF

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.