Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bad news on top of bad news from BA [Aircraft fleet changes]

Bad news on top of bad news from BA [Aircraft fleet changes]

Old Jul 10, 2024, 7:34 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 472
Bad news on top of bad news from BA [Aircraft fleet changes]

I received two emails from BA yesterday, both bringing bad news. Our homeward flight next month from ORD has had an aircraft change to a 789 so we are now in CW and not CS that the original 777 had. It gets worse, we have had an aircraft change for our LHR-MIA next year and, not only are we now in CW, we are also now on the 388. Our last 3 flights on the 388 were all affected by delays due to tech issues so I am not at all happy. BA neglected to mention the aircraft change, they just advised of departure time changes. If I hadnít logged in to check, I would not have known that our seats had changed. On the ORD-LHR flight we were originally in 6A and 6K in CS and the reallocation still had us in separate rows in CW. Good job I checked. I know that there are proponents for CW but I now detest it. In addition to the delay, Mrs Definitas had a broken footstool on the overnight flight and BA awarded a paltry 10,000 Avios. It took multiple emails and several months to get a more realistic amount and I just donít want the hassle. Iím down to my last 200K of Avios and we are both lowly Blue so it wonít be long now before we are back to being cash purchasers and it will be interesting to see what else may be available and what the competition is like. Sadly, we travel mostly for visits to transatlantic grandchildren so the choices are limited
Definitas is offline  
Old Jul 10, 2024, 7:46 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: AMS
Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Posts: 2,627
Goodbye, cruel airline...?
Fitruss likes this.
etiene is offline  
Old Jul 10, 2024, 7:47 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Herts, UK
Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
Posts: 3,209
Originally Posted by Definitas
it will be interesting to see what else may be available and what the competition is like.
Last year I had a couple of trips to Australia, one Singapore Airlines and one Etihad, both made me realise that the grass is not always greener.
Neither were awful, and both had good points. but on balance i would rather those trips were on a BA plane in CW.
stewaran is offline  
Old Jul 10, 2024, 7:52 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: London
Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
Posts: 1,371
I had the same revised timing email about MIA and had a hunch it was because they were reverting to double-daily A380s.

I don't mind it myself as I like the aircraft. But see if you can change to the AA service which I use occasionally. Their 777-300 seats are pretty good (and with air vents)
jlemon likes this.
ukgooner is offline  
Old Jul 10, 2024, 8:07 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Sussex
Programs: BA; IHG; LHW; Hilton
Posts: 866
Originally Posted by stewaran
Last year I had a couple of trips to Australia, one Singapore Airlines and one Etihad, both made me realise that the grass is not always greener.
Neither were awful, and both had good points. but on balance i would rather those trips were on a BA plane in CW.
interesting isnít it because Iíve always found Etihad to be the absolute superlative long haul in business class. Leaps and bounds ahead of British Airways.
Not only is there cognac, but crew actually warm the glass before pouring. Plus a plenteous supply of decent espresso coffee. Not to mention endless hot snacks available.
SxMan is offline  
Old Jul 10, 2024, 10:16 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 2,373
Originally Posted by Definitas
On the ORD-LHR flight we were originally in 6A and 6K in CS and the reallocation still had us in separate rows in CW.
Please don't take this the wrong way, but given the original 6A/6K choices, perhaps they thought you didn't want to sit together and they were doing you a favour by allocating different rows on the new aircraft?
ijgordon likes this.
KingCanute is offline  
Old Jul 10, 2024, 10:32 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 472
Originally Posted by etiene
Goodbye, cruel airline...?
I donít have enough experience to know whether itís goodbye or whether itís just going to be checking out the alternatives to see for myself how they stack up. I do know that I have flown BA twice a year in J for the last 10 years because of the Amex 2-4-1. We have also managed to get J to Sydney twice, albeit with a layover in Singapore so have not needed to look elsewhere. However, changes in the terms coupled with Avios earnings in retirement being insufficient, we will now be looking primarily for value for money, which may still be BA but it will be interesting to see. I was a VS gold for a few years and much preferred their original herringbone seats to the ying/yang in CW and the Clubhouse used to be superb so will definitely be doing a comparison for our MIA flights in future years. One other driver may be how easy or otherwise it is to contact customer services. Having found it virtually impossible to get through to BA when our 388 went tech, I would definitely be swayed by better ease of contact. I recently had to speak to AA about an internal US flight. I dialled the UK number and it was answered immediately. Of course, that could have been a one off. However, I have never had a straightforward contact experience with BA and I would go as far as to say itís got worse. So no, not cruel airline but definitely underwhelming. The question is, are they more or less underwhelming than the alternatives?
Definitas is offline  
Old Jul 10, 2024, 10:55 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Herts, UK
Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
Posts: 3,209
Originally Posted by SxMan
interesting isnít it because Iíve always found Etihad to be the absolute superlative long haul in business class. Leaps and bounds ahead of British Airways.
Not only is there cognac, but crew actually warm the glass before pouring. Plus a plenteous supply of decent espresso coffee. Not to mention endless hot snacks available.
That is a nice touch with the cognac, I dont drink when flying mostly so maybe didnt get the best out of them. The on board service was good.
The lounge experience in AUH was poor, and the planes were quite rundown albeit clean. I expected them to be closer to Qatar levels.
stewaran is offline  
Old Jul 10, 2024, 11:13 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: LHR, LGW
Programs: BAEC
Posts: 3,582
Would you fly with BA if the Amex 2-4-1 didnít exist?
stifle likes this.
rockflyertalk is offline  
Old Jul 10, 2024, 11:38 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: London, UK
Programs: BAEC
Posts: 2,575
Originally Posted by Definitas
I received two emails from BA yesterday, both bringing bad news. Our homeward flight next month from ORD has had an aircraft change to a 789 so we are now in CW and not CS that the original 777 had. It gets worse, we have had an aircraft change for our LHR-MIA next year and, not only are we now in CW, we are also now on the 388. Our last 3 flights on the 388 were all affected by delays due to tech issues so I am not at all happy. BA neglected to mention the aircraft change, they just advised of departure time changes. If I hadnít logged in to check, I would not have known that our seats had changed. On the ORD-LHR flight we were originally in 6A and 6K in CS and the reallocation still had us in separate rows in CW. Good job I checked. I know that there are proponents for CW but I now detest it. In addition to the delay, Mrs Definitas had a broken footstool on the overnight flight and BA awarded a paltry 10,000 Avios. It took multiple emails and several months to get a more realistic amount and I just donít want the hassle. Iím down to my last 200K of Avios and we are both lowly Blue so it wonít be long now before we are back to being cash purchasers and it will be interesting to see what else may be available and what the competition is like. Sadly, we travel mostly for visits to transatlantic grandchildren so the choices are limited
Whatever your thoughts on CS / CW, you are now on more modern aircraft so will feel significantly less crappy post-flight.

I would recommend keeping some perspective regarding the A380. Yes, it is suffering from more delays than one would hope for at the moment but the vast majority of A380 flights run on time. If you are significantly delayed due to tech issues then you will be compensated, of course.
etiene likes this.
TabTraveller is offline  
Old Jul 10, 2024, 11:43 am
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 472
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
Would you fly with BA if the Amex 2-4-1 didnít exist?
The honest answer is probably. The ability to earn sufficient Avios to use a 2-4-1 was a significant driver, as was the ability to ďflipĒ cards to earn bonuses but the main incentive was, nevertheless, cost. Once I have used up our final 2-4-1 next year we will definitely be focusing even more on cost but, by not being ďconfinedĒ to BA by 2-4-1 conditions, we will be looking at a wider choice, which may or may not be more attractive/affordable than BA. Itís definitely fair to say that we have had excellent value from the 2-4-1, including several flights in F and the demise of Amex (for us) will definitely have a negative effect on our travel. I do like the daytime return AA flight from ORD and that may be an attractive option depending on cost.
Definitas is offline  
Old Jul 10, 2024, 12:04 pm
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 472
Originally Posted by ukgooner
I had the same revised timing email about MIA and had a hunch it was because they were reverting to double-daily A380s.

I don't mind it myself as I like the aircraft. But see if you can change to the AA service which I use occasionally. Their 777-300 seats are pretty good (and with air vents)
unfortunately we are on a 2-4-1 reward flight and so my understanding is that the fairly minor time change wouldnít entitle us to rebook. I donít mind the A380 itís just that we have had 3 different issues and reading about recent events doesnít exactly engender confidence and, as I previously mentioned, when things go wrong itís a nightmare trying to deal with BA.
ttama likes this.
Definitas is offline  
Old Jul 11, 2024, 3:38 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA Gold4life, ICH RA, Hyatt Gold and others
Posts: 714
Originally Posted by stewaran
That is a nice touch with the cognac, I dont drink when flying mostly so maybe didnt get the best out of them. The on board service was good.
The lounge experience in AUH was poor, and the planes were quite rundown albeit clean. I expected them to be closer to Qatar levels.
My goodness. Can you imagine trying to get BA crew to do something like that!!! These small gestures do make a very positive impression of course
Mutu is offline  
Old Jul 11, 2024, 3:44 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Posts: 5,928
A glass of cognac and some snacks is certainly worth the cost difference.
bisonrav is offline  
Old Jul 11, 2024, 3:55 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 1,344
Stupid question, but OP have you checked to see if alternative flights have Club Suites redemptions available?

Of course with your luck, you might change, then your original flight reverts to Suites and your new one gets the old club world!
cauchy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.