IAH in F Early or Late Flight

Old Jul 10, 2024, 1:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
IAH in F Early or Late Flight

The misses and I are by no means regular F travellers, but we have another chance to fly in F for our upcoming holiday and always look forward to the experience.

We have the choice of LHR/IAH in F on the early BA195 (B77W) dep 0925 or the BA197 (B789) dep 1450. Our final destination will be Florida for a cruise but that is not for a few days after the flight so we are in no real rush to get anywhere. Generally we enjoy a few drinks and a bite to eat in the lounge followed by a bit of shopping before boarding. Then following on a theme we do enjoy another few drinks and a slow meal onboard before watching a film or 2 and getting a nap.

Not too much difference in the seat on the 2 aircraft and the only service difference is the early flight has afternoon tea, I am interested in this as I have never experienced afternoon tea in F.

If we catch the early flight then we have the option to connect to Florida same day although we are on reward seats so have no protection. On the later flight it would need a nightstop in IAH and head over to Florida the next day, no real big deal.

The boss lady prefers the early flight.

The only other caveat is that I hate early morning starts ;-)

What would you do ?

Cheers

Ed
Old Jul 10, 2024, 1:17 am

Programs: BA GGL
77W is technically a slightly newer seat than the 789.

However it's pretty clear from your post that the afternoon flight would suit you better, so I think that's a no brainer...!
Sealink, DelTroon and Rudyroo like this.
Old Jul 10, 2024, 1:23 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Afternoon flight, based on your preferences.

Overnight in Houston to just remove the stress of connecting (and long day backtracking to FL). There will be many IAH-MIA/FLL flights the following day you can target.
jamiel and DelTroon like this.
Old Jul 10, 2024, 2:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
I wouldn't call her a "miss", even in the plural. Especially if everything points to the afternoon flight so you'll need to overrule persuade her.
DelTroon likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2024, 2:44 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Well all I can say is (based in my personal experience with SWMBO) good luck!
HIDDY likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2024, 3:09 am

Originally Posted by seanp7
Afternoon flight, based on your preferences.
I ended up on the early IAH flight. About 45 minutes for security. Wasn't too bad. Prefer to get to the US early due to jet lag. Nothing worse than trying to navigate your way in when it's 2am in the morning back home.

Good news is, finally picked up Global Entry at IAH, meaning next time it's most irrelevant!
Grande Annee likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2024, 3:16 am

I'd take the later flight and overnight at IAH. Last thing I want after a morning of smashing back Louise and a flight of Femme / 1942 / JW Blue is to be doing a long connection (must be long due to risk of separate PNRs) and another flight when we land.
jonkx and camdentown like this.
Old Jul 10, 2024, 3:19 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by chriswiles
Nothing worse than trying to navigate your way in when it's 2am in the morning back home.
See, I disagree. To me theres nothing worse than landing at 2pm local time, feeling like its already 8pm, and fighting fatigue for the next 6-8 hours in order to get to bed at a respectable hour and not end up waking at at 2am bright as a button.

For that reason, OP, Id recommend the BA197 landing at around 7pm in IAH. Get to the hotel, settle in, and have an early night. I find it much easier for staying on top of jet lag.

(Could you not tell a white lie and say theres no F availability on the BA195? )
Sealink, jamiel, jonkx and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 10, 2024, 3:29 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by Fitruss
Last thing I want after a morning of smashing back Louise and a flight of Femme / 1942 / JW Blue is to be doing a long connection
What IS it about the British and alcohol?!
Fitruss and bisonrav like this.
Old Jul 10, 2024, 3:43 am

Programs: BAEC
Any particular reason youre flying to Houston and not to Florida? Assuming the cruise is Port C or Miami?!
Old Jul 10, 2024, 5:18 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Early flight for me... and also book a night in Houston. Arrive at a nice time, miss the worst of the traffic, stay awake a long a possible, meal, a few drinks and bed.
Old Jul 10, 2024, 5:20 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by GM1985
See, I disagree. To me theres nothing worse than landing at 2pm local time
I used to have to go straight to the office for a few hours when I regularly did this flight. After a 6am start from MAN.
Old Jul 10, 2024, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by DIRECT MERIT
What IS it about the British and alcohol?!
I definitely feel like there's something in my genes! Although my French friends joke about how little I drink, the Italians think we've got no clue how to mix a good cocktail and don't ever go drinking with an Aussie, that just gets dangerous fast!
seanp7 likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2024, 5:46 am

Take the evening one, and enjoy some afternoon beverages! Houston ain't worth rushing to anyway.
pH, camdentown and Rudyroo like this.
Old Jul 10, 2024, 7:13 am

Although afternoon tea is nice it’s not worth taking the early flight for, take your time in the morning, get the later flight and overnight before travelling onwards. It would be a long journey to do it on the same day especially given the need to build in contingency time due to the unprotected connection and a higher risk of it all going wrong.
Fitruss and camdentown like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.