Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA cancels flight.. due to adverse weather conditions but no issues anywhere..

Old Jul 9, 2024, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Hi

I received an email from BA at 2am on the morning of the day i was due to fly back at 18.55 later that day due to adverse weather in london and it might be delayed..

Went back to bed, woke up at 10am, rechecked ba website and no further comms and problems everything on time.., checked weather in uk, and europe no problems and no problems at LGW or IBZ. ??

11am did the same thing, no problems...

checked out of hotel, rechecked my phone at 13.00 and was text messaged to say that my flight was cancelled, and that I had to race to the airport to get on an earlier flight with my wife 15.35.

should of flown back - ibz-lgw ba2683. 18:55 sat 15th june, flew back earlier - ibz-lhr ba453 15:35

looking at flight radar for both days afaik no problems across europe planes taking off and landing at both airports.

logged a complaint with B.A and they don't want to know.

I am seeking compensation for taxi in ibiza to rush me to the airport, and a taxi back home from heathrow (got my receipts), plus my last day ruined and uncomfortable flgiht coming back - no air con, seats reserved with my wife cancelled and us split up on the plane, if I was flying easyjet or ryan air and paying for a cheap ticket wouldn't bother me, but paid alot and this was a scheduled flight.

To further add, on the way out B.A also cancelled a flight in the AM and made some of the passengers join our, outgoing flight from LGW, passengers were not informed also until they were at LGW that day and had to wait around 10 hours or so.

So for me, there were no reasons to cancel my flight coming back and leave me with no other options - it was get on the plane or dont get home with B.A for 2 days, there were no problems with weather and no problems with any airports..

Thoughts?.

Thanks in advance.

Old Jul 9, 2024, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
There were some weather cancellations on the day, see report from the main thread on 15th June. Certainly doesn’t seem bad though

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/36307086-post1406.html
Old Jul 9, 2024, 2:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
I suspect it was weather related given other Spanish airports in the vicinity were also cancelled due to weather.

You can always challenge and BA will have to produce evidence to CEDR or MCOL it was weather.

EU261 IF payable is a fixed amount and duty of care. You wouldnt get a taxi reimbursed to the airport as youd have had to do that journey anywhere, you could claim costs back to Gatwick if flown into Heathrow,,, borderline as to whether they would cover your trip home and EU262 doesnt include service issues, spoilt days of holiday etc.

The following thread has more information,

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2024 edition

Old Jul 9, 2024, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Thank you both for the replies, I checked a website to find all take of and landings at ibz, lhr and lgw that day and it all seemed fine - agreed @mikefly doesn't seem bad enough.

After a few back and forth emails, bad comms, bad info on the day, B.A's last email to me having double checked my emails was that aircraft damage due to lightning strike... ??!!

So to re cap, 2am there might be a problem with weather, 10am and 11am no problems with flight/weather/airports.. 13.00 there's a problem.../flight cancelled no reason given on plane, or email before departure - which surely the captain/crew has to explain to new passengers on board??

3 weeks after, I get an email saying the problem was aircraft damage due to lightning strike.. - so been told different things as I have challenged it...

Wouldn't of needed a taxi to airport, had a bus sorted , had to get a taxi for speed to airport or miss earlier unexpected flight...

Old Jul 9, 2024, 2:50 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by mmuk
I am seeking compensation for taxi in ibiza to rush me to the airport, and a taxi back home from heathrow (got my receipts), plus my last day ruined and uncomfortable flgiht coming back - no air con, seats reserved with my wife cancelled and us split up on the plane, if I was flying easyjet or ryan air and paying for a cheap ticket wouldn't bother me, but paid alot and this was a scheduled flight.
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum. The main EC261 thread is here:
The 2024 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261 / UK261

You should claim EC261 via the ba.com/complaints portal, and add your receipts for the taxi. The LHR-LGW taxi should be paid, they normally do, though they would normally expect people to take the coach or train there. The IBZ taxi isn't a clear entitlement since you presumably would have had that on the later flight. But give it a go. I also suspect that weather really did have something to do with this, given the cumulo-nimbus report in the ATC section above. But claim anyway and see what they say about it. Just be clear that you are claiming for cancellation compensation (which can be argued) but Right to Care reimbursement on the taxis.

LGW have been spectacular in poor timekeeping and cancellations, they haven't got the resources to keep the show on the road, so I can help thinking this has something to do with this.
enviroian and TxDucky like this.
Old Jul 9, 2024, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Thanks CWS,

B.A at LGW 8th june to IBZ that was really strange the morning flight cancelled for whatever reason... ?? alot of unhappy people had their weekend ruined for a quick getaway...

Moving on, I do prefer B.A to easyjet in europe, better seats, and they do recline a little bit - easyjets dont, oh and now free wifi this year aswell.
Old Jul 9, 2024, 3:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by mmuk
Thanks CWS,

B.A at LGW 8th june to IBZ that was really strange the morning flight cancelled for whatever reason... ?? alot of unhappy people had their weekend ruined for a quick getaway...

Moving on, I do prefer B.A to easyjet in europe, better seats, and they do recline a little bit - easyjets dont, oh and now free wifi this year aswell.
BA are generally good when they are on the hook. Next time consider a BA Holiday as their 24 hour duty office are amazing at making new arrangements. Also be careful on your first day of Flyertalk you are restricted to 5 posts so be sparing with your next 2. Stick around and get the most out of BA travel.
Old Jul 9, 2024, 3:18 pm

The lighting damage was so bad that the aircraft had to fly to MPL and back to LGW to atone for its sins.

First delay was picked up in CAG for the return to LGW. Likely weather related CTOT. G-MIDS was scheduled for the BA2682 LGW-IBZ at 14:45 but was reallocated to BA2578 LGW-MPL, albeit with a delay to that service to MPL of between 1-2 hours. So a lightning strike did not render G-MIDS unserviceable, if it received a strike at all. A lack of aircraft at home base is a BA owned problem so even if this was listed internally as a DAMN, it should realistically be an OPEY/TECY given history in this area of the relevant regulation. BA have a right to take an alternative view point and often do, but you should be reassured that by following the advice from CWS youll be successful in your claim.
Old Jul 9, 2024, 6:18 pm

Many years ago I experienced something along the same lines on a BA flight from EDI to LHR. They claimed heavy rain in London yet BMI flights were all running to time. U2 flights to LGW were also running on time. Felt like an excuse to me and that there was another reason peculiar to BA not weather related.

Then I never bothered to follow this up, indeed it could have been before the EU introduced delay compensation rules, as it was inconvenient rather than serious but there have been so many reports of bad weather being very focussed on BA I think I would now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.