What is BA's duty of care

Old Jul 9, 2024, 11:09 am
Original Poster

What is BA's duty of care

My nephew has had his from flight from Orlando cancelled and been told it will be two days before BA can fly him back to Glasgow. He is flying Club.

My understanding is that BA have a duty to get you home as quickly as possible in the same class of travel (it is a cash fare) but to say that BA have been unhelpful would be an understatement. He suggested Virgin to Edinburgh or Manchester (and was prepared the train the rest) and Aer Lingus to Dublin or Manchester as alternatives to the two day delay and was refused. He also suggested an AA flight from Tampa but was refused as the flight was from a different airport to his original flight.

Is this normal? Are BA generally this unhelpful?
Old Jul 9, 2024, 11:16 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Did BA offer a reason why they would not rebook on to VS, EI, AA? Or was it simply due to origin/departure cities?

BA will cover hotel and subsistence costs until your son arrives home, tell him to keep receipts.
Old Jul 9, 2024, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Did BA offer a reason why they would not rebook on to VS, EI, AA?

BA will cover hotel and subsistence costs until your son arrives home, tell him to keep receipts.
No just a flat refusal to book him onto any of these flight. Yes he has been well briefed on keeping receipts for everything. Just gobsmacked at BA's intransigence to move to a different airline.
Old Jul 9, 2024, 11:19 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
HUACA. It is a silly rule that if not on BA metal, you have to start and end at the same airport, but you can use alternative airlines. A supervisor can intervene and make it (e.g.) back to Manchester, Newcastle or Edinburgh, assuming this is one ticket. Ring again and ask specifically for VS226 MCO to EDI, 22:00 hrs tonight, there is space in business (J4) and if the agent is reluctant, ask them to clear with a supervisor.

If not he should enjoy two days at BA's expense - booking a suitable hotel for ideally under 200 a night, and claiming food, drink, wifi and taxi costs.

I note that the LGW service today seems a bit on, BA2038 has two entries, and showing WTP as available. It may be worth checking if there isn't an IT glitch in there somewhere.
Old Jul 9, 2024, 11:25 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I can also see availability MCO-MIA-LHR-GLA tomorrow in business.
Old Jul 9, 2024, 12:29 pm

And make sure to document that BA has refused reasonable rebookings.

The reason being if they try to wiggle out of the 520 of EC261 compensation, e.g. citing bad weather as the cause of the MCO cancellation, this isn't good enough as they have an on-going duty to mitigate delays, which they aren't taking.
Old Jul 10, 2024, 4:25 am

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia
HUCA is very good advice. Do not assume agents are firstly fully trained (although my experience very heavily leans towards very good agents) and secondly will voluntarily provide your best options.

Examples...taking the easy way out when a flight is cancelled and suggesting refund versus rebooking....not offering alternate flights on different airlines as is your case. Always best to be in a position to advise the agent what you have researched and want and gently suggest a supervisor to accept the change if the agent hesitates as authorization is required in that case. Know your options and you generally will be fine and having said that, not everyone wants to become their own travel agent but that is the beauty of FT....the quality of the information to be shared in these forums especially the BA forum is very good. Heck..I might give up my day job and become a travel agent myself a I have assumed that role for friends and family over the years. Good luck with the change or enjoy your extended stay on BA.
Old Jul 10, 2024, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
What about taking 2 days of extra days holiday in Florida on the account of BA?

Reasonable expenses for hotel, meals etc will get reimbursed by BA under the duty of care.
Old Jul 10, 2024, 5:42 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Mucci
Originally Posted by SK AAR
What about taking 2 days of extra days holiday in Florida on the account of BA?

Reasonable expenses for hotel, meals etc will get reimbursed by BA under the duty of care.
Unfortunately a lot of people have responsibilities or even work they need to return to at the end of a trip abroad and so while the idea of 2 days extra holiday at BA's expense can be appealing, it is not necessarily convenient.

CWS has given some great options above although to be fair the OP's nephew had clearly tried to do similar.
I appreciate that not everyone has the EF subscription that more frequent flyers might, but I think a really useful thing can be to go on Google flights, drop in a one way itinerary origin and destination to return home (or even a few extra airports that could work for returning to), choose the correct class of travel, and first limit to Oneworld airlines and then don't limit at all and then call when you have a suitable route home. The best way to achieve this is to know exactly what/when/where you want to fly, including all of the relevant times and flight numbers.

Last time it happened to me a couple of months ago and I gave them a suitable re-route home the kind BA lady at the end of the phone said "Oh, you should work here!".
I felt like saying "No, you should be able to come up with this yourself".
Anyway, such is the way of re-routing after cancellations.
wrp96 and Lefly like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.