Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Can I add checked bag for inbound BA leg after flying outbound with AA?

Old Jul 9, 2024, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver

Hi folks,

I'm looking to make a booking with BA and the outbound leg is operated by AA which means as BAEC Silver I can get a free checked bag. The inbound leg is operated by BA and so if I book the basic economy (without a checked bag) can I simply add a checked bag for the BA operated flight after I complete the first AA flight? I saw online that the fee from PHL to LHR is $70 if paid for online or $75 if paid for at the airport.

Thanks,
Old Jul 9, 2024, 11:54 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
would basic economy come with any checked baggage allowance anyway even with status?

or did you mean can you just pay to add a checked bag for the BA flight?
Old Jul 9, 2024, 10:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Is your AA operated outbound on a BA codeshare? As I understand it, based on this thread Guide to AJB Basic Economy fares checked baggage allowance is based on marketing carrier, not operating carrier. Unlike seating which is a function of operating carrier. So if you are booking a BA coded AA operated flight in basic economy, no checked baggage. It may be more cost effective to book a fare with checked bags if you intend to take one both ways?
Old Jul 10, 2024, 1:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
would basic economy come with any checked baggage allowance anyway even with status?

or did you mean can you just pay to add a checked bag for the BA flight?
Originally Posted by GM1985
Is your AA operated outbound on a BA codeshare? As I understand it, based on this thread Guide to AJB Basic Economy fares checked baggage allowance is based on marketing carrier, not operating carrier. Unlike seating which is a function of operating carrier. So if you are booking a BA coded AA operated flight in basic economy, no checked baggage. It may be more cost effective to book a fare with checked bags if you intend to take one both ways?
Thanks both. It is a codeshare. The ticket would be booked on ba.com as basic economy (no checked baggage allowance). Here is the itinerary:

CPH-LHR (Operated by BA) stay overnight at LHR
LHR-ORD (Operated by AA)
DEN-CPH via LHR (Operated by BA)

My intention was to use avios to fly from LHR-CPH before the first leg above and fly back to LHR as a B2B. Travel to LHR with hand baggage only and then get a free checked bag on the AA operated flight to ORD the following day (or I am not eligible to get a free checked bag on the AA flight if the flights are marketed by BA even though I am BAEC Silver?). I was then going to pay for a checked bag on the BA operated leg from DEN to CPH via LHR.

Thanks again.
Old Jul 10, 2024, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Yeah, you can add a checked bag for the return flight DEN-LHR-CPH to the reservation afterwards, or at worst pay at the airport.

You do realise that most likely your bag will be tagged to CPH when you check-in at DEN? (I assume that your intention is remain at LHR and not continue to CPH). Usually BA doesn't entertain requests to short-tag bags.
Old Jul 10, 2024, 3:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Yeah, you can add a checked bag for the return flight DEN-LHR-CPH to the reservation afterwards, or at worst pay at the airport.

You do realise that most likely your bag will be tagged to CPH when you check-in at DEN? (I assume that your intention is remain at LHR and not continue to CPH). Usually BA doesn't entertain requests to short-tag bags.
Thanks. I was planning to avios it back from CPH to LHR but I have found another option with AA from DEN to LHR with a 23 hour stopover and then BA from LHR to CPH. Would AA (or BA for that matter) short tag my bag to LHR if I'm staying overnight? I could then just skip the last leg to CPH and save some avios and presumably the checked bag fee from DEN to. LHR?

Last edited by Saint4805; Jul 10, 2024 at 3:17 am
Old Jul 10, 2024, 4:11 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold, OWE
Originally Posted by Saint4805
Thanks. I was planning to avios it back from CPH to LHR but I have found another option with AA from DEN to LHR with a 23 hour stopover and then BA from LHR to CPH. Would AA (or BA for that matter) short tag my bag to LHR if I'm staying overnight? I could then just skip the last leg to CPH and save some avios and presumably the checked bag fee from DEN to. LHR?
If you have an overnight stopover @ LHR on the way back you can request the bag to be short checked. Even if they refuse, you can ask for your bag once your reach LHR (though this could take some time).
Saint4805 likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2024, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Saint4805
Thanks. I was planning to avios it back from CPH to LHR but I have found another option with AA from DEN to LHR with a 23 hour stopover and then BA from LHR to CPH. Would AA (or BA for that matter) short tag my bag to LHR if I'm staying overnight?
Yes, then it should be no issue to get the check-in agent to tag to LHR only.
Saint4805 likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2024, 5:11 am

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia
Originally Posted by SK AAR
Yes, then it should be no issue to get the check-in agent to tag to LHR only.

In this scenario with less than 24 hours at London and starting in the US with AA..would you not check your bag through to final destination free of charge with AA based on your status which should remain that way even though your final flight is BA to save luggage fees and take a carry on with needed items only? Am I mistaken in this regard?
Old Jul 10, 2024, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But the OP is trying to avoid traveling all the way to CPH (and would abort traveling upon arrival LHR). Sorry I have no experience with how AA deals with checked luggage, if free of charge or not.
Old Jul 10, 2024, 5:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by testycal
In this scenario with less than 24 hours at London and starting in the US with AA..would you not check your bag through to final destination free of charge with AA based on your status which should remain that way even though your final flight is BA to save luggage fees and take a carry on with needed items only? Am I mistaken in this regard?
My end destination is LHR. After completing all flights I was planning to travel from CPH to LHR with BA via an avios award booking (which includes a complimentary checked bag) but I have since found another flight option from DEN to LHR with AA (via ORD) with the final leg from LHR to CPH leaving early the following morning (23 hours after I land at LHR). I'm now thinking I could travel with AA, get the free checked bag short checked to LHR and then skip the last leg from LHR to CPH 23 hours later.

My main concern was whether or not AA would give me the free checked bag (as BAEC silver) on a basic economy ticket (without a checked bag) that was booked on ba.com. My second concern was if AA would short check my bag to LHR for an overnight stopover ahead of the last flight from LHR to CPH 23 hours later which I'm hoping to skip.

Last edited by Saint4805; Jul 10, 2024 at 5:29 am
Old Jul 10, 2024, 5:40 am

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
I have never had a problem asking AA to short-check with an overnight connection at LHR.

My reason for wanting the bag at LHR is to take it home. I then do the final leg and B2B the next day with essentially no baggage.
Saint4805 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.