Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Checking through on separate tickets BUT SAME PNR

Old Jul 9, 2024, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Marriott GOLD, Accor Club Gold

A slightly nerdy ticket about adding a domestic flight to an international ticket on a travel agent booking. I have a complex, 8-sector ticket for an imminent trip to the USA. In the months since it was booked, BA have changed its domestic schedules, creating a flight to NCL that is a really good connection with my inbound flight back to LHR.

I would love to take this flight but only if I can through-check bags. The TA repriced the ticket in Sabre, and told me it was several thousand quid more (because it involved repricing the whole sequence from SFO to LHR as well, which was in A and would leap to F). However, he then said he could issue a separate LHR/NCL ticket but in the same PNR, and BA should be prepared to through-check on this basis, if the booking reference is the same.

Is this true, or does it need to be on the same ticket and not just the same reference/PNR? This strategy is a new one on me, and I don't want to pay for the ticket if I can't through-check and am not protected against delays.
Old Jul 9, 2024, 9:23 am

Programs: BA Gold
As far as I understand it through checking is very different to being protected from delays because of a connection. Through checking might well happen because the check in agent is unlikely (although not definitely) to look very closely at the actual tickets. This would be different if you suffered IRROPS or similar when a more rigorous inspection would likely take place.
Old Jul 9, 2024, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyingmonkie
As far as I understand it through checking is very different to being protected from delays because of a connection. Through checking might well happen because the check in agent is unlikely (although not definitely) to look very closely at the actual tickets. This would be different if you suffered IRROPS or similar when a more rigorous inspection would likely take place.
Good point. I think my main concern is the through-checking. I'll roll with the punches if the SFO/LHR is late. But would welcome an opinion on the through-checking on same PNR.
Old Jul 9, 2024, 9:32 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes the rule here is
- Same PNR and ALSO oneworld, separate tickets = through checked luggage

- Same PNR, not oneworld, BA's through checking is limited to the relevant ticket end point. So
125-nnn1 NCL-LHR-BOS-CLT
279-nnn7 CLT-SFO
You have to recheck at CLT (as well as BOS for other reasons).

- Different PNRs: no through checking, even BA to BA.

The OP will be aware that UK/anywhere to USA involves a customs related recheck process at the port of entry in the USA regardless, unless pre-clearance or ITI apples.
KARFA, Ikaz, littlevoices and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 9, 2024, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Enormously grateful and reassured. And now I know you can have separate tickets on one PNR. Thank you!
camdentown likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2024, 1:14 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes the rule here is
- Same PNR and ALSO oneworld, separate tickets = through checked luggage

- Same PNR, not oneworld, BA's through checking is limited to the relevant ticket end point. So
125-nnn1 NCL-LHR-BOS-CLT
279-nnn7 CLT-SFO
You have to recheck at CLT (as well as BOS for other reasons).

- Different PNRs: no through checking, even BA to BA.

The OP will be aware that UK/anywhere to USA involves a customs related recheck process at the port of entry in the USA regardless, unless pre-clearance or ITI apples.
Excellent information as usual.

Any insights on IRROPs protection for 2 Same PNR and ALSO oneworld, separate tickets?

Im genuinely curious.
Old Jul 9, 2024, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by PLeblond
Excellent information as usual.

Any insights on IRROPs protection for 2 Same PNR and ALSO oneworld, separate tickets?

Im genuinely curious.
AA protects on separate AA => oneworld tickets on a single PNR; not sure about BA.
Old Jul 9, 2024, 2:20 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by PLeblond
Yes, that's protected, as is, in theory "Same PNR, not oneworld, separate tickets", since under IATA rules that's one contract from A to B. However it's now so rare it would not surprise me if in a given scenario an agent may say "not protected" if you flow over too many systems. Within Amadeus the check-in would see one workflow so wouldn't see the joins.
camdentown likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2024, 3:44 pm

Programs: BA, Accor, Hilton, ITA
Commercial > Avios > Commercial is also protected, even missed connections, as long as you have elite status.
Old Jul 9, 2024, 5:29 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by cheshirepete
Commercial > Avios > Commercial is also protected, even missed connections, as long as you have elite status.
That is unfortunately not supported by many experiences!
Old Jul 9, 2024, 6:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Who would you get to issue such a ticket on one PNR anyway, and how would they do it?
DeathSlam and chacor like this.
Old Jul 9, 2024, 11:13 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC electrum
This sounds very useful if true. Could you give us an example of where this happened to you or someone you know?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.