Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA massively devalues Avios redemptions for Alaska and AA flights

Old Jul 4, 2024, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Avios

This is a big surprise, the last devaluation was only 7-8 months ago??
Flights of up to 650 miles cost 12,000 Avios in economy (an increase of 3,750 Avios) or 24,000 Avios in business (an increase of 7,500 Avios)
Flights of 651-1,150 miles cost 16,000 Avios in economy (an increase of 5,000 Avios) or 32,000 Avios in business (an increase of 11,500 Avios)
Flights of 1,151-2,000 miles cost 18,000 Avios in economy (an increase of 3,500 Avios) or 40,000 Avios in business (an increase of 11,000 Avios)
Flights of 2,001-3,000 miles cost 20,000 Avios in economy (an increase of 4,000 Avios) or 50,000 Avios in business (an increase of 8,000 Avios)
Old Jul 4, 2024, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Might have to transfer one's BAEC Avios to Finnair Plus or Qatar Privilege Club, and redeem from those programs' (currently) more favorable rates.
Old Jul 4, 2024, 5:25 pm

I am surprised by back to back devaluations in such a short time frame yes. VS has had a similar (though not quite as bad devaluation) with DL tickets though at least they left the shortest haul Y alone which is where a lot of my use still is. BA surprises me a bit more than VS too because DL was pricing its awards higher than VS but AA at least was usually the same or lower than BA.

Last edited by 36902BRF; Jul 4, 2024 at 7:35 pm
Old Jul 4, 2024, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

I am guessing that the first devaluation was trying to reduce the amount of rewards being issued on AA and AS .It obviously did not work so they came back again with another. I am confident that this devaluation will work. It now makes absolutely no sense to book awards on AA or AS anymore with BA avios.

Originally Posted by 36902BRF
I am surprised by back to back devaluations in such a short time frame yes. VS has had a similar (thought not quite as bad devaluation) with DL tickets though at least they left the shortest haul Y alone which is where a lot of my use still is. BA surprises me a bit more than VS too because DL was pricing its awards higher than VS but AA at least was usually the same or lower than BA.
Old Jul 4, 2024, 8:19 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Gold, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Well, crap. I just started earning Avios on my AA flights just because of the better redemptions, and now this . . . .
Old Jul 4, 2024, 10:28 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by hotturnip
Well, crap. I just started earning Avios on my AA flights just because of the better redemptions, and now this . . . .
funny that, and with AA doing everything they can to boost the usage of AAdvantage and all, whoíd have thunk it?
Old Jul 5, 2024, 1:17 am

Programs: Some
I don’t see why this is a big surprise, personally. BAEC and BA as an airline are massively weighted towards the US these days and I imagine a large and growing percentage of Avios collectors are US-based. These members are clearly most likely to use their Avios for flights either within or from the US. Given how crazily easy it is to obtain miles in the US today, one should eventually expect BA US redemption pricing to end up looking like the US carriers (have you seen what DL charges for a TATL redemption these days?!). If BA eventually moves TATL flights to North America to higher bands than other longhaul routes of the same distance I wouldn’t be surprised either.
Old Jul 5, 2024, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Given how crazily easy it is to obtain miles in the US today, one should eventually expect BA US redemption pricing to end up looking like the US carriers (have you seen what DL charges for a TATL redemption these days?!).
Have you seen what AA charges for a TATL redemption on some days? (AAdvantage awards have variable pricing.)

Note, especially, the cash component.
makin'miles likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2024, 1:51 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
The devaluation is somewhat moot. Have you tried getting a redemption on some AS routes? They are rarer than rocking horse poo.
daftboy likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2024, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
Have you seen what AA charges for a TATL redemption on some days? (AAdvantage awards have variable pricing.)

Note, especially, the cash component.
Sure if you fly PE on probably one of 10 days out of 365 with availability. The point is itís close to impossible to get tickets in J now if you have even a fixed range of dates in mind. Did you quote PE because you couldnít find a J seat for the same dates by any chance?
Old Jul 5, 2024, 1:54 am

Programs: BA Silver + AY Platin + DL Silver
At the same time, users on the OMAT comment section are also complaining about similar devaluations in the Qantas and LA award charts. Maybe others, too?

Edit:
Cannot confirm that for now. SYD-MEL is still available for 6,000 avios. But looks like LATAM short-haul went up from 6000 to 8500 avios

Last edited by delpiero223; Jul 5, 2024 at 2:05 am
Old Jul 5, 2024, 1:55 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Sure if you fly PE on probably one of 10 days out of 365 with availability. The point is itís close to impossible to get tickets in J now if you have even a fixed range of dates in mind. Did you quote PE because you couldnít find a J seat for the same dates by any chance?
The first screenshot is J....
Old Jul 5, 2024, 1:58 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Ha. My bad for half reading on my phone
Old Jul 5, 2024, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"You can observe a lot just by watching."

Y. Berra

As noted, the first of the two screenshots I posted was for a Business Class redemption. To be sure, there are days when AA charges 200,000+ miles for a TATL in J. But there are also lots of days with reasonably-priced TATL Business awards (some nonstop, some requiring a connection.)

Old Jul 5, 2024, 2:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
AA has some surprisingly reasonable redemptions in J heading to Europe next year. I booked two tickets in J back from Athens to Miami next year May for 54k each. Heading over from Miami to Paris was only 39K in Premium economy.. Not sure why BA felt the need to move so dramatically but they must have decided to shutdown this class of redemptions. I long for the days of 4500 point redemptions under 650 miles..........
guv1976 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.