Silly question: flying J vs F

Old Jun 22, 2024, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Silly question: flying J vs F

In December, Iím flying ATL-DXB, with a routing of ATL-PHL-DOH-DXB-DOH-DFW-ATL, with all of the segments on AA except DOH-DXB-DOH-DFW on QR. This routing results in a substantial savings in J versus alternative routings, a total cost of about US$4,200. Flying BA through LHR in J would be substantially more expensive, but BAís F fares are often significantly less expensive than their J fares; I could fly ATL-ORD-LHR-DXB-LHR-ATL in BA F for about US$6,800, in other words about US$1,600 to fly in BA F compared to AA and QR J.

Notwithstanding that I find the BA F fare to be attractive, Iím inclined to stick with my J fare on AA and QR, and am posting this to get otherís opinions. I get that this is somewhat of a silly question in that the value of US$1,600 can differ significantly among us, but Iím asking nonetheless. Iíll add that to me none of the benefits of flying F vs. J matters to me on the ground ó principally the CCR (Iíve been many times and, while I enjoy it, I have yet to figure out what the big deal is) ó but maybe Iím missing something.

What do you all think?
Old Jun 22, 2024, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Are TPs of any consideration to you?

Iíd be inclined to stick to the QR itinerary. I prefer long flights and a few shorthauls over two 7-9 hour flights. That said the final DFW-ATL may be quite brutal. Youíll also get Al Safwa access in DOH both ways.

Personally Iíve had nothing but very solid experiences with AA TATL - PHL-DOH being AA operated isnít my top choice, but I would have no qualms flying that.
Old Jun 22, 2024, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BA6501
Are TPs of any consideration to you?

Iíd be inclined to stick to the QR itinerary. I prefer long flights and a few shorthauls over two 7-9 hour flights. That said the final DFW-ATL may be quite brutal. Youíll also get Al Safwa access in DOH both ways.

Personally Iíve had nothing but very solid experiences with AA TATL - PHL-DOH being AA operated isnít my top choice, but I would have no qualms flying that.
Thanks for your input. The most disappointing part of my existing itinerary is flying AA rather than QR on my US-DOH flight, but I agree that while AA is not QR, itís still fine (and I have had a couple of not great QR experiences in the past year, including a J seat DOH-NBO that would not recline at all and a DOH-PHL flight with QRís old J seats rather than Q-suites).
Old Jun 22, 2024, 5:53 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club - Gold
As mentioned above, are TPís of importance to you?

In addition, are any of the QR legs Q-Suite? That would also impact my decision.
Old Jun 22, 2024, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyer_tom

In addition, are any of the QR legs Q-Suite? That would also impact my decision.
Sorry, TPís are not an issue for me.
The DOH-DFW flight should be Q-suites. I donít know about DOH-DXB-DOH, but those are one-hour flights and I have been perfectly happy with QRís J seats even when not Q-suites.
Old Jun 22, 2024, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyer_tom

Originally Posted by Blumie
Sorry, TPís are not an issue for me.
The DOH-DFW flight should be Q-suites. I donít know about DOH-DXB-DOH, but those are one-hour flights and I have been perfectly happy with QRís J seats even when not Q-suites.
I just looked it up: Q-suites DOH-DFW but not on the one-hour DXB legs.
Old Jun 22, 2024, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I would look for a cheaper J fare or saver award availability, unless you want the LPs. Or choose the cheaper of the two.
Old Jun 22, 2024, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nk15
I would look for a cheaper J fare or saver award availability, unless you want the LPs. Or choose the cheaper of the two.
Even at what I consider to be a very reasonable US$4,200, my fare is fully refundable, so Iíll continue to look for lower fares. Iíve often been able to do this trip in the low US$3,000s so long as I am flexible on where in the US I originate from. (MYS is home, but I usually save a lot by originating elsewhere.)
Old Jun 22, 2024, 11:50 pm

Any particular reason for the convoluted routings with multiple stops when there are so many one stop options, across various carriers / alliances? Wouldn't it be much more comfortable to simply fly QR ATL/DOH/DXB? These days I find that the shortest flights and connections, minimizing travel time is the biggest factor for me but YMMV.

But to answer your question I would consider paying $1600 for BA F over AA J (the bedding / sleeping surface / quietness of the cabin alone would be worth it on that length of flight not to mention the significantly elevanted F&B - not a factor personally but may be to some) but probably not over QR J.
Old Jun 22, 2024, 11:59 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IME - BA First delivers a far more personalized treatment, a lot more personal space over ClubSuites, and a vastly better seat over yin-yang Club seat . If you are chasing BA tier points then the BA routing via LHR will also net you a heck of a lot more TPs.

I left AA EXP after 20+ years and have BA Gold. I have no regrets, so that BA First fare would get my attention.

As always YMMV
Old Jun 23, 2024, 11:32 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB platinum, BAEC bronze
The difference is 2600 though, F 62 % more expensive thsn J.
Keystone likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2024, 11:49 am
Formerly known as tireman77

As a self admitted Plane Geek, and having never experienced BA's F, CCR (assuming sufficient time to enjoy) etc then I would be willing to pay a premium for the experience, especially if there's some metal I haven't flown on as a bonus.

Having flown LH-F and the FCT before I wouldn't pay much more to do it again (LH's foot-fetish inspired 2-2-2 J notwithstanding). I understand you have flown BA-F (or, at least the CCR?), and as you indicated TP's are not your goal here, then $1,600USD delta is not worth it in my opinion. Or course many people have a different value for $1,600USD so if that is you case, then enjoy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.