Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Help, cancellation: Avios booking treated differently to cash one

Old Jun 22, 2024, 12:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: DC, BAEC

Currently on a live chat with BA regarding an EI booking for next Saturday (29th). It was an Avios redemption, now cancelled due to industrial action @ EI.
BA have advised there are OW rerouting options available (via BA/IB) but we can't get moved to them as "since this is a reward booking made via Avios flight availability options are less" and "reward bookings can only be rebooked on reward flights".
I've asked him to clarify a couple of times but he's adamant

Am I being given the run-around?
Old Jun 22, 2024, 1:05 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Was this booking made with BA (ticket number starts 125-) Was the flight booked under the BA code share or the EI prime code?

Last edited by lcylocal; Jun 22, 2024 at 1:10 am
Old Jun 22, 2024, 1:08 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
No, I think that is broadly the position. BA will reschedule their own redemptions on BA metal to other BA metal, regardless of availability, and ditto Iberia, but not other airlines. Now the situation gets more complex due to EC261, so Finnair had a slightly wider policy exception, which I think was enabled by Finnair. But this is the first strike that I can ever recall from Aer Lingus.(and thus I think a high chance of a last minute deal). So it would not surprise me if Aer Lingus is not allowing other options at the moment. What can you do about it? Well at this stage probably not a lot. You could find some other redemption option and so long as it was broadly the same cost that would be a solution, and BA should waive the change fee. If it was on to BA or IB then if off peak it should be cheaper overall. If you really can't find an alternative redemption, then you do have the very tentative option of rebooking yourself on to a cash booking and trying to recover this from Aer Lingus on the basis that Aer Lingus has not provided a same day alternative. But it may be that Aer Lingus will come up with a rebooking policy for cancelled services. If you are going to self rebook, you must NOT apply for a refund.
BA or bust likes this.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Jun 22, 2024 at 1:20 am
Old Jun 22, 2024, 1:18 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by lcylocal
Was this booking made with BA (ticket number starts 125-) Was the flight booked under the BA code share or the EI prime code?
Redemptions always go into prime, in structure terms they can't go into codeshares. BA only issues into 125 plating, so it's for sure this is 125 into EI prime.
lcylocal likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2024, 1:20 am
Original Poster

Yep, 125- ticket
Old Jun 22, 2024, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If you really can't find an alternative redemption, then you do have the very tentative option of rebooking yourself on to a cash booking and trying to recover this from Aer Lingus on the basis that Aer Lingus has not provided a same day alternative.
Do note that the legal obligation to rebook falls on the operating airline (EI). It seems that the OP has contacted the ticketing airline (BA), but if the OP plans to self-rebook, I think that it would be safer to have confirmation directly from EI that EI refuses to rebook.
Old Jun 22, 2024, 1:53 am
Original Poster

Wow: thanks for the swift and very helpful responses. Especially so first thing on a Saturday morning!
Good news is we're sorted: pulled the outbound forward to the EI filight on Wednesday the 26th. Just have to keep our fingers crossed the return on EI later in July isn't impacted too!
Thanks again everyone
Old Jun 22, 2024, 2:29 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Redemptions always go into prime, in structure terms they can't go into codeshares. BA only issues into 125 plating, so it's for sure this is 125 into EI prime.
Skim reading it seemed like their was a chance this redemption may have been made using Avios through the Aer Lingus website, re-reading seems obvious it wasnt.
Old Jun 22, 2024, 2:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lcylocal
Skim reading it seemed like their was a chance this redemption may have been made using Avios through the Aer Lingus website, re-reading seems obvious it wasnt.
Booked it on BA's website

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.