Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

10 Jun : BA195 LHR - IAH returns to LHR; BA194 cancelled too

Old Jun 10, 2024, 10:53 am
Original Poster

An hour ago received a text that the incoming aircraft had to return to London due to a technical concern, flight cancelled. Said I would receive an email with instructions - not. Calling 800 247 9297 is fruitless as no one is available to answer. I booked through AA.com, Club Word tickets. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old Jun 10, 2024, 11:05 am

Programs: BAEC
In this situation I would call AA who will reroute you. Any EU comp claim would go to BA though.
Old Jun 10, 2024, 11:12 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Passengers on the outbound BA195 flight have had a fun time
The plane reached Newfoundland before the tech issue was detected and the pilots have opted to return to Heathrow, so they are due to land back at LHR in 1.5hrs, which will be just over 10hrs since they pushed back this morning and they have effectively gone nowhere!

Pilot37
Old Jun 10, 2024, 11:17 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Pilot37
Passengers on the outbound BA195 flight have had a fun time
The plane reached Newfoundland before the tech issue was detected and the pilots have opted to return to Heathrow, so they are due to land back at LHR in 1.5hrs, which will be just over 10hrs since they pushed back this morning and they have effectively gone nowhere!

Pilot37
Let's hope they at get back to LHR safely.
Old Jun 10, 2024, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Calling AA, the agent cannot find that the flight was cancelled. Online on my end, the AA website shows that the flight is. both cancelled and a delayed departure from 3:50 pm to 1:07 pm/. That would actually be okay if true. Should I count on it? The later flight today at 8:50 has no Club World seats available and only one premium economy. Usually I use points for international tickets but this time, I coughed up the money. Ugh.
Old Jun 10, 2024, 11:36 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I take it you haven't paid for a new flight? If not, don't, not yet. Don't cancel whatever you do, and be wary about paying extra.

This looks like the best bet today with a seat in J on both legs but you'll really have to shift to get onto it.

Otherwise you may need to hold out until tomorrow. This looks like a slam dunk E261 for $600ish per passenger, which may take some of the sting out of it. I can't see any potential routings today, everything except the flights referenced above seem completely full.
See Disruption Assistance thread - signposts and what you need to know - FlyerTalk Forums for more information on what to do.
mikeyfly and mnhusker like this.

Last edited by bisonrav; Jun 10, 2024 at 11:50 am
Old Jun 10, 2024, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Are you already on your way to the airport? They may be able to reroute you on UA or through another hub on AA.
Old Jun 10, 2024, 11:40 am

This diversion sounds like a nightmare! Surely BA should have diverted to a US airport and got passengers to Houston by other carriers rather than turn them back over the Atlantic again. Flight due at LHR at about 18:55 or so London time.

chessman likes this.

Last edited by Door5L; Jun 10, 2024 at 11:55 am
Old Jun 10, 2024, 11:41 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott, IHG, Sirius, Dusit, Thai, Virgin, Hyatt, BAA, AS, AA(both)
Originally Posted by wrp96
Are you already on your way to the airport? They may be able to reroute you on UA or through another hub on AA.
Seems to be space on IAH-DFW-LHR on AA
mnhusker likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2024, 11:50 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Originally Posted by Door5L
This diversion sounds like a nightmare! Surely BA should have diverted to a US airport and got passengers to Houston by other carriers rather than turn them back over the Atlantic again. Flight due at LHR at about 19:35 or so London time
BA Ops (in conjunction with the Captain) will have a large say on this. Given the fault is obviously not serious enough to force a diversion, but would likely have left the plane stranded in IAH for a part to be replaced, Ops decided the quickest course of action to get the plane moving again would be to return to LHR, have it fixed overnight and put the same pax back on it tomorrow morning for another try (I am guessing) with a new crew.

Pilot37
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2024, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by Door5L
This diversion sounds like a nightmare! Surely BA should have diverted to a US airport and got passengers to Houston by other carriers rather than turn them back over the Atlantic again. Flight due at LHR at about 18:55 or so London time.

The aircraft will have been stuck wherever in North America it landed. The passengers landed and arrived annoyingly not where they intended but still about 45 minutes earlier than they expected to be getting off the aircraft in the first place assuming everything went to plan. A bloody annoyance though for sure!
LCSinTexas and DiamondMile like this.
Old Jun 10, 2024, 1:05 pm
txp

Programs: UA, AA, DL, BA, Marriott, Hilton, Accor, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Pilot37
BA Ops (in conjunction with the Captain) will have a large say on this. Given the fault is obviously not serious enough to force a diversion, but would likely have left the plane stranded in IAH for a part to be replaced, Ops decided the quickest course of action to get the plane moving again would be to return to LHR, have it fixed overnight and put the same pax back on it tomorrow morning for another try (I am guessing) with a new crew.

Pilot37
For this to make sense, the nature of the mechanical problem would have to fall into one of two categories: (i) it's safe to fly the aircraft for another five hours but not for 15 hours, or (ii) it's safe to land the aircraft but not to take off after landing.

Aviation experts: can you think of any scenario that meets one of these two conditions?

Update from Airlive.net: "the pilots decided with the airline to turn back to London Heathrow due to an issue with one of the RR Trent 1000 engines." My question still stands: what type of engine problem meets one of the two conditions mentioned above?

Last edited by txp; Jun 10, 2024 at 1:14 pm
Old Jun 10, 2024, 1:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Somewhat staggering that they didnt drop into JFK where they couldve got the passengers on to their destinations (not all will be going to IAH after all) and a part delivered quickly.
MaxFlyer and SxMan like this.
Old Jun 10, 2024, 1:16 pm
txp

Programs: UA, AA, DL, BA, Marriott, Hilton, Accor, Hyatt
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
Somewhat staggering that they didn’t drop into JFK where they could’ve got the passengers on to their destinations (not all will be going to IAH after all) and a part delivered quickly.
I agree. But if the problem was such that the plane could land, but not take off again without major maintenance work (such as having to fly in a new engine), then their decision was rational. This is why I'd like aviation experts to opine on what type of engine problems would make diversion to LHR the most logical choice?

Last edited by txp; Jun 10, 2024 at 1:22 pm
Old Jun 10, 2024, 1:40 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I am looking forward to the findings of the expert aircraft engine armchair FT committee on what should have happened

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.