Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Flight cancellation BA GEO-UVF(-LGW) today - help please!

Flight cancellation BA GEO-UVF(-LGW) today - help please!

Old Jun 10, 2024, 7:00 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
Posts: 687
Flight cancellation BA GEO-UVF(-LGW) today - help please!

Hi all, I'm currently in Georgetown Guyana and was meant to be flying home tonight on the BA2158 GEO-UVF-LGW. However, overnight, BA contacted me to say they have cancelled the flight due to the runway lights at GEO being broken. FR24 appears to confirm this, with several other flights cancelled / diverted since last night. Several hours later, with no options offered in MMB during that period, I received an email entitled "Travel Document" which contained details of a re-route onto JetBlue to JFK on Wednesday night followed by the daytime BA178 to LHR arriving Thursday night, instead of Tuesday morning as planned.

This is far too late as I end up losing three days of annual leave and need to be back in London for work much earlier. What are my options? MMB only shows these new flights (which I haven't accepted) and no facility to seek alternatives. Can I call and ask them to move me to something more convenient / earlier? Which airlines do BA have an agreement with to do this? Would going via PBM and then KLM to AMS, then on to London be possible? What about Caribbean Airlines or InterCaribbean and onto a BA from somewhere else in the region? I really need to be back in London Wednesday morning if at all possible, and certainly Thursday morning at the absolute latest.

As an aside, and something I'll consider once I'm home, the runway appears to have reopened as flights are taking off and landing again. Were BA too hasty in cancelling? The plane is currently on its way from LGW to UVF and I assume they have a crew to work UVF-GEO-UVF, so could this open the way to a UK261 claim?
kingstontoon is offline  
Old Jun 10, 2024, 7:04 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: From ORK, live LCY
Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Posts: 14,266
You can (and indeed should) call them likely reroutings are AA to JFK/MIA, or UA to IAH, and onward from there. For example, AA1534 at 12:25am tonight (tomorrow morning) arriving MIA at 05:05, connecting to BA206 arriving early Wednesday morning. There's almost certainly better.

Hopefully you have (or can acquire) an ESTA.
kingstontoon likes this.
stifle is offline  
Old Jun 10, 2024, 7:15 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
Posts: 687
Originally Posted by stifle
You can (and indeed should) call them likely reroutings are AA to JFK/MIA, or UA to IAH, and onward from there. For example, AA1534 at 12:25am tonight (tomorrow morning) arriving MIA at 05:05, connecting to BA206 arriving early Wednesday morning. There's almost certainly better.

Hopefully you have (or can acquire) an ESTA.
Thanks, yes, I have an ESTA, and also ExpertFlyer access for checking availability. I want to understand exactly which airlines I have access to out of GEO before calling BA and giving them the flights I want. For example, InterCaribbean to BGI tomorrow lunchtime then BA to LHR arriving early Wednesday morning. Going via Paramaribo on KLM also appeals as it would net me a new country / territory tick.

Edit - worth noting too that as of Saturday I am now BA Gold for the first time ever, should that help ease my path with them? 😁
kingstontoon is offline  
Old Jun 10, 2024, 7:16 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: London Stratford, E7
Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Posts: 3,479
From what I can see heavy storms yesterday took out both the primary and secondary runway lights. Most flights today cancelled a few delayed, a couple showing as operating but not till later in the day and I guess they are full. It probably seems that BA have booked you on the earliest routing out.

With other carriers having to cancel flights as well I’d imagine they’ve rebooked their passengers on their own metal hence there’s little capacity left. Hopefully the lights are repaired soon and maybe one of the other carriers . Are there any ferries to alternative islands you can take ?
kingstontoon likes this.
KeaneJohn is online now  
Old Jun 10, 2024, 7:18 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denmark
Programs: TK Elite
Posts: 12,057
BA is not going to rebook to KLM, exotic Caribbean carriers or other non-OW partners if there are obvious rebooking options today with AA/BA through MIA, JFK etc.
stifle and DXB2745 like this.
SK AAR is offline  
Old Jun 10, 2024, 7:20 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: From ORK, live LCY
Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Posts: 14,266
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
Are there any ferries to alternative islands you can take ?
Guyana isn't an island

Originally Posted by SK AAR
BA is not going to rebook to KLM, exotic Caribbean carriers or other non-World partners if there are obvious rebooking options today with AA/BA through MIA, JFK etc.
^This.

There is availability on AA to JFK and MIA tonight and that is what OP should expect to get. I am afraid the visit to Suriname will have to wait.
DXB2745 likes this.
stifle is offline  
Old Jun 10, 2024, 7:22 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
Posts: 687
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
From what I can see heavy storms yesterday took out both the primary and secondary runway lights. Most flights today cancelled a few delayed, a couple showing as operating but not till later in the day and I guess they are full. It probably seems that BA have booked you on the earliest routing out.

With other carriers having to cancel flights as well Id imagine theyve rebooked their passengers on their own metal hence theres little capacity left. Hopefully the lights are repaired soon and maybe one of the other carriers . Are there any ferries to alternative islands you can take ?
Thanks for the info. Certainly a strange one as I was drinking in downtown GEO until midnight last night and it was calm and dry, although the airport is a fair way out of the city I guess.

There are no ferries alas, although there is a small downtown airport called Ogle (OGL) from where I can fly on tiny aircraft to Paramaribo (accepting I'd probably need to do this myself and claim back) or a few other places like BGI and POS.
kingstontoon is offline  
Old Jun 10, 2024, 7:26 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Programs: BAEC
Posts: 1,549
I see there are seats from OGL to BGI and then onto LHR on Virgin that gets you home tomorrow morning. But most obvious seems to be AA to JFK and then the da flight tomorrow. I wouldnt waste time and get on the phone before seats disappear.
RichieMc is offline  
Old Jun 10, 2024, 8:15 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
Posts: 1,047
Originally Posted by kingstontoon
Hi all, I'm currently in Georgetown Guyana and was meant to be flying home tonight on the BA2158 GEO-UVF-LGW. However, overnight, BA contacted me to say they have cancelled the flight due to the runway lights at GEO being broken. FR24 appears to confirm this, with several other flights cancelled / diverted since last night. Several hours later, with no options offered in MMB during that period, I received an email entitled "Travel Document" which contained details of a re-route onto JetBlue to JFK on Wednesday night followed by the daytime BA178 to LHR arriving Thursday night, instead of Tuesday morning as planned.

This is far too late as I end up losing three days of annual leave and need to be back in London for work much earlier. What are my options? MMB only shows these new flights (which I haven't accepted) and no facility to seek alternatives. Can I call and ask them to move me to something more convenient / earlier? Which airlines do BA have an agreement with to do this? Would going via PBM and then KLM to AMS, then on to London be possible? What about Caribbean Airlines or InterCaribbean and onto a BA from somewhere else in the region? I really need to be back in London Wednesday morning if at all possible, and certainly Thursday morning at the absolute latest.

As an aside, and something I'll consider once I'm home, the runway appears to have reopened as flights are taking off and landing again. Were BA too hasty in cancelling? The plane is currently on its way from LGW to UVF and I assume they have a crew to work UVF-GEO-UVF, so could this open the way to a UK261 claim?
to your latter point, the airport is available for daylight ops only as the runway edge lights are inoperative as confirmed by a published NOTAM.
no operations after sunset. Its a safely issue and prohibits operations.




BA would have no desire to make a hasty decision, especially for the complexity that an infrequent multi-sector destination brings. So many similar threads here seem to have an unnecessary underlying tone of cynicism attached to BAs operational decision making.


surryson is offline  
Old Jun 10, 2024, 8:27 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
Posts: 687
Originally Posted by surryson
to your latter point, the airport is available for daylight ops only as the runway edge lights are inoperative as confirmed by a published NOTAM.
no operations after sunset. Its a safely issue and prohibits operations.




BA would have no desire to make a hasty decision, especially for the complexity that an infrequent multi-sector destination brings. So many similar threads here seem to have an unnecessary underlying tone of cynicism attached to BAs operational decision making.
No cynicism intended, simply an observation given flights are scheduled for departure after dark tonight, which suggests the airport authorities expect the lights to be fixed by then, plus the fact the aircraft will be in St Lucia anyway and there's a strong possibility a separate crew downroute already will be in place to work the flight if possible. The beauty of Flyertalk is to be able to consider / discuss such things in a friendly environment!
kingstontoon is offline  
Old Jun 10, 2024, 8:33 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: AMS
Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Posts: 2,575
Overanalysing on FT seems like the least productive approach to this one, especially given the collection of esoteric airlines you're asking about. Time to get on the blower and see if a BA agent can come up with something that works for you.
etiene is online now  
Old Jun 10, 2024, 8:37 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
Posts: 1,047
Absolutely.
BA would have had to have made a call prior to departure from LGW today, otherwise risk carrying pax for LGW-GEO, only to have them potentially stranded in UVF.
Maybe the lights will be fixed. Time will tell.
The decision wont have been taken lightly and will have most definitely included thorough input from boots on the ground, even if that were via a very experienced manager in, for example, ANU or BGI, who would have been in dialogue with the ground handler and/or airport auth in GEO.
surryson is offline  
Old Jun 10, 2024, 8:55 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Posts: 5,763
See Disruption Assistance thread - signposts and what you need to know - FlyerTalk Forums as a good start point.
bisonrav is offline  
Old Jun 10, 2024, 9:06 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Posts: 5,763
Adding to the link to the disruption thread:
  • For calling BA Skype is free to freephone numbers, and adding a bit of skype credit will allow you to call non freephone numbers. Saves running up a huge roaming bill. BA will cover the cost of a couple of calls under the right to care provisions of EC261
  • You need to identify routings yourself, bearing in mind anything after dark is likely to be suspect. Then call with that information rather than asking an agent to find it for you.
  • I would be negotiating with work and explaining the situation to see whether there are ways you can work remotely. Unfortunately there may not be much you can do to hasten your return. But make sure your employer knows what is happening so they can sort out staffing if need be.
  • DO NOT CANCEL your BA flights whatever happens without asking here first. In particular if you decide to book with another carrier and try to reclaim the fare (which may be possible) you lose all your rights from the moment you cancel. The best you'd get from a cancellation is a partial refund.
  • Hugely unlikely this is an EC261 compensation opportunity since BA don't control the airport lighting. Put that idea out of your mind.
  • BA are paying for reasonable hotel and food and drink (but not alcohol) so if it's costing annual leave and there's nothing you can do about that, may as well get your feet up by the pool and drink mocktails. Keep receipts obviously.
  • This may not be runway lighting at all. Consider the possibility it is a zombie outbreak and take appropriate precautions.
bisonrav is offline  
Old Jun 10, 2024, 9:24 am
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
Posts: 687
Of course I wasn't just sitting on my hands posting on Flyertalk, I was pulling together availability using ExpertFlyer so I could provide options to BA which I have done and was happily re-routed on my first choice GEO-POS on Caribbean Airlines then BA to LGW, arriving only 18 hours late.

Thank you to those with the genuinely helpful replies. Some seem to forget that many of us here are all about the flying, getting the best seats, routings, aircraft etc and making our flying experience as pleasant as possible, even when faced with IRROPS.
2358, jmd, bisonrav and 2 others like this.

Last edited by aks120; Jun 10, 2024 at 3:10 pm Reason: Removed sentence about snarkiness
kingstontoon is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.