Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

London Heathrow Terminal 5 connection question.

Old May 20, 2024, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Apologies if this is in the wrong section (first post and can see dozens of sections).

But on Wednesday morning I'm flying from Glasgow to New York JFK via London Heathrow.

I'm not concerned about the connection times. My Glasgow flight lands at Terminal 5 and I depart from Terminal 5 to JFK 2-hours later.

As I land at Terminal 5, do I need to exit and go back through all the security cues once again? or is there a connection corridor that I can just walk through and then wait for my gate to display? I plan on buying duty free and some aftershave/perfume too so I'm asking as I don't want to run the risk of it being taken off me if I need to access and come back through security again.

I'm a really frequent flier, but it's been a long time since the last time I was at Heathrow and can't really remember the Terminal 5 set up.

Any responses are appreciated, cheers.
Old May 20, 2024, 6:57 pm

Programs: Mucci; BAEC GGL; (In memoriam: KLM Flying Dutchman Royal Wing & FB Platinum Elite)
Welcome to the BA forum. Im sure one of the mods will be along with a more formal welcome. The sticky for the BA dashboard at the top of the page is your best place to start for answers to your search, if you havent seen it already

BA Forum Dashboard

Specifically this thread on the dashboard will help:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1735255-guide-connecting-lhr-t5.html

To answer your question, no you dont need to clear security again connecting from a domestic connection ( unless going to a different terminal). Follow the purple flight connections signs and scan your boarding pass to access the T5 A departure lounge and duty free shops. Long haul flights usually depart from B or C gates by transit train, but can occasionally depart A gates via bus- so double check the departure screens
KARFA likes this.
Old May 20, 2024, 6:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
From Uk domestic, you follow purple flight connections signs rather than the yellow arrival signs.

You will have a boarding pass scan, then up an escalator directly into t5 departures airside, nonsecurity.
KARFA likes this.
Old May 20, 2024, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Thank you to you both. That's what I was hoping for.

It did say on the Heathrow website about having to go through security again from an international flight (assume that's so they can be scanned etc in line with our UK standards) but it didn't say definitively about not having to go through security again for a domestic landing.

Cheers again.
Old May 21, 2024, 1:43 am

This may help

https://wayfinding.maps.ba.com/departing
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old May 21, 2024, 1:50 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by DumbartonTraveller

It did say on the Heathrow website about having to go through security again from an international flight (assume that's so they can be scanned etc in line with our UK standards) but it didn't say definitively about not having to go through security again for a domestic landing.

Cheers again.
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA Forum.

The connections guide is definitely worth a few minutes of your time. There are 3 gotchas in there - if your domestic service arrives to a remote stand and then on by bus, a lot of people walk out to landside by mistake. You should take the stairs up one level or use the lift, to get to Domestic connections and an easy passage to airside. There are signs but people miss them. That also happens if arriving at gates 1 and 2, people follow the herd down and out of T5, but the signs for Flight Connections are even clearer there. And final thing to avoid is that there are actually 2 connection routes in domestic, one for T5 and the other for T2, T3 and T4. People do sometimes go down the latter channel by mistake and though HAL agents are supposed to check the boarding pass they are not necessarily that switched on, and let people through. More a problem if arriving at gates 6 and higher.
Old May 22, 2024, 4:48 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by DumbartonTraveller

Cheers again.
I find the easiest way to describe this to friends and family is that all British airport security is to the same standard so you only have to go through once on the way out. The exception being if you get the transfer bus between T5 and T3, because some of the people on that bus will have arrived from an international flight.

On the way back, everyone has come from a variety of countries and not all of them may meet whatever security standards we have set, so you always need to go back through security at LHR on the way back.

This is also the reason why Scottish travellers moan so much about security on the island flights being over zealous. You can get on the Loganair flight from Kirkwall or Stornoway to Glasgow and then go all the way to Sydney without ever having to go back through security. As a result it has to be as rigorous as Heathrow. I hope that makes sense?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.