Piece of paper lounge access debacle

Old May 18, 2024, 4:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by :D!
BA really should just put Business Class on all documentation, they can add CE/CW if they like, but I bet a good proportion of passengers don't even know what Club Europe/World means.

I don't think the word "Club" is particularly indicative of a cabin, even if your first language is English... …….

BA are far from alone in ‘branding’ their business classes, but your point ref actually specifying Business Class on relevant documentation is well-made in terms of avoidable confusion / misunderstandings.

Over the years BA regulars have of course become very accustomed to the Club Europe / Club World / Zoo World labels, I suppose ; but they’re far from universally known in many parts of the aviation world. Groucho Marx memorably commented as to the sort of Clubs he would not wish to join, although it’s unlikely he had BA in mind at the time ………
Old May 18, 2024, 5:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by :D!
BA really should just put Business Class on all documentation, they can add CE/CW if they like, but I bet a good proportion of passengers don't even know what Club Europe/World means.

I don't think the word "Club" is particularly indicative of a cabin, even if your first language is English... and what does being in the EU have to do with whether a generic airport staff member should know that BA chooses to use special names for its J class?
Unlikely to help in 3rd party lounges, as more airlines offer some business class tickets without lounge access, then access either needs to on the barcode or via an invite.

I think the solution for pax not visiting check in is for an electronic for of the invite to be made available to you. The problem being it would be too easy to copy and share , so they would need numbered and marked as used some how
Old May 18, 2024, 10:02 am

Not sure how BA mobile boarding passes looks like but I'd guess they have a QR code. I do not know if lounges are able to read that.
A regular boarding pass have a bar code and that anyone can read - there are even apps for IOS and android that reads them using the camera.

The bar code will tell them if you are eligible to visit the lounge, it will have your fair class, if your (if any) frequent flyer numer and things like airline etc making it easy for them to grant access or not.

It's not easy for staff at PP lounges for example to know every single airline and booking class, and FF status etc. to know if you should have access or not.
Hell it's not even easy for trained staff to read a simple boarding pass. I once refused to board a QR flight as I didn't now have a QR branded boarding pass (I was issued by MH) and took 10 minutes until I got new plates and could board (was even flying F)
Old May 18, 2024, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by Kevlondon
But i’m now feeling like a bit of a pioneer - the dragon has just come over to take a photo of my mobile BP,
You may find someone is already in your seat when you board
Old May 18, 2024, 10:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by DirektornSE
Not sure how BA mobile boarding passes looks like but I'd guess they have a QR code. I do not know if lounges are able to read that.
A regular boarding pass have a bar code and that anyone can read - there are even apps for IOS and android that reads them using the camera.

The bar code will tell them if you are eligible to visit the lounge, it will have your fair class, if your (if any) frequent flyer numer and things like airline etc making it easy for them to grant access or not.

It's not easy for staff at PP lounges for example to know every single airline and booking class, and FF status etc. to know if you should have access or not.
Hell it's not even easy for trained staff to read a simple boarding pass. I once refused to board a QR flight as I didn't now have a QR branded boarding pass (I was issued by MH) and took 10 minutes until I got new plates and could board (was even flying F)
yes qr's sop is that you have to boarding with a qr issued boarding pass

even then, The barcodes for qr flights are not sufficient for many european lounges, so invites are needed. The barcodes issued for ba flightscwork in those same lounges.
Old May 18, 2024, 10:54 am
Original Member

Sticking up for Guatemala which is quite civilized.
tr3k likes this.
Old May 18, 2024, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
yes qr's sop is that you have to boarding with a qr issued boarding pass

even then, The barcodes for qr flights are not sufficient for many european lounges, so invites are needed. The barcodes issued for ba flightscwork in those same lounges.
Most European lounges that are operated by a career (not the crap PP ones) have self service (and more post-covid)
I think *A are doing this better, SAS, Turkish Airlines don't even have staff at their business class lounges or Gold lounges. SAS removed that 10+ years ago.

But it can be difficult for others, LH at LHR if you are senator you won't get access to the senator "lounge" without a peace of paper..
Old May 18, 2024, 1:30 pm

The LHR BA Arrivals lounge insisted they hand write an invitation card for me last Sunday morning upon arrival from JFK so that I could use the Concorde Dining (sub) room. I walked all of about 15 feet from the welcome desk to the dining room where said invitation card was taken from me before I could even take a photo of it.
veron689908 likes this.
Old May 18, 2024, 5:17 pm

Programs: BAEC
All this bother to get into lounges and needing a paper pass in this day and age!

This week my iPhone battery died just prior to entry into the lounge at BHD. I apologised and said I needed a few mins of charge but the lady said, "Go on in, your face will do!".
Old May 18, 2024, 9:07 pm

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
You need a paper copy? Guess most of you have never been to Japan? They would want to fax that document!

Ron.
Old May 19, 2024, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by newfbc
You need a paper copy? Guess most of you have never been to Japan? They would want to fax that document!

Ron.
Haha so true.

They would ask you to “please, take a seat” outside the lounge, whilst faxing it to head office and waiting for said office to phone back… The phone call back to them would begin along the lines of “We are calling back concerning the lounge access of (name). [long pause] (name) is permitted access according to (mention of whatever CoS or status is on ticket). Please, thank (name) for using our lounge.

Then another employee would come find you and say, “Sorry for the wait” even if you had barely sat down by the time the second employee came to find you.

I may be exaggerating, but only very slightly…
newfbc likes this.

Last edited by Schultzois; May 19, 2024 at 2:11 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.