How lenient is BA in F for a carry-on?

Old May 17, 2024, 2:32 pm

Programs: M&S Elite+, BAEC Silver
Do the double rucksack, both up to the limit. That's front and back. I have seen it in the rear so F should be no problem.
Old May 17, 2024, 2:49 pm

I generally want to travel without lugging huge heavy bags around airports. Check it in works for me. I just take a small emptyish bag on board.
Old May 17, 2024, 3:10 pm

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Gold, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Youd just about fit your jacket and pocket square in the F cupboard
Agreed it's a pretty disappointing cupboard... if only they had made it out of the same material they pad the slimline seats with at the back of ET, that would have doubled its capacity at least...

(I think it's called graphene...)
Old May 18, 2024, 9:55 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Would such a bag get past the watchful glare of security staff ?
Old May 18, 2024, 10:31 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by ratechaser
Agreed it's a pretty disappointing cupboard... if only they had made it out of the same material they pad the slimline seats with at the back of ET, that would have doubled its capacity at least...

(I think it's called graphene...)
The size of the suit closet also depends on which aircraft, seat, and version of suite. For example, the suit closet in 1A/1K in some 777s is positively voluminous compared to other seats on the sane aircraft.

Thankfully, I can usually comfortably get my string vest in there though.
ratechaser likes this.
Old May 18, 2024, 11:04 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by GodAtum
Can't I put my rucksack in the F cupboard at my seat or under the buddy seat, rather then in the overhead?
Depends on aircraft. Yes on the A380. No on everything else.
Old May 18, 2024, 11:17 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Honours Diamond
Originally Posted by Howard Long
The size of the suit closet also depends on which aircraft, seat, and version of suite. For example, the suit closet in 1A/1K in some 777s is positively voluminous compared to other seats on the sane aircraft.

Thankfully, I can usually comfortably get my string vest in there though.
. You mean your Mankini 😉
Old May 18, 2024, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by GodAtum
I have a hiking rucksack which is (HxWxD): 70 x 36 x 25cm.
Whilst I can comment about F. Depending on your needs and the length of your trip a 45L standard issue military bergen with additional zipp on pouches could work. I know a few armed forces personnel who have taken these maxed out on trips in economy for personal travel and never been questioned. As a rule they have kept the outbound trip light as possible then laundered as they went using local laundromats and buying some cheap local clothing/supplies which can be disposed off at the end of the trip. If you go for a 75L or even 100L, take higher caution. Make sure you have no metal frames within it and the bag is not fully loaded so it can crush to a smaller size if required.
Old May 18, 2024, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by crazy8534
I found this out when we arrived in AUS for the eclipse- did a fast walk through their maze of corridors etc. as my kids didn't have GE, so didn't want to be at the back of a big queue.
As it happened I think we were the only HBO people on the plane- the flip side was the immigration officer had loads of time and gave us a right good grilling about how we could be in the US for so long without any checked bags!
MPC is almost as slick as GE!! Miami, supposedly one of the worst immigration situations in the US, and we breezed straight through.
https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citize...ssport-control
Old May 19, 2024, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
It was either from (but I think it was to) BOS there was a bloke who got on an A380 in F with a large guitar shaped musical instrument in a case. I wasn’t sitting close enough to hear the entire the conversation but the crew were very good and found space in a cupboard for it.
Old May 19, 2024, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by Greenpen
I generally want to travel without lugging huge heavy bags around airports. Check it in works for me. I just take a small emptyish bag on board.
Me too - but it depends on the destination too. If you're in F, for example, and flying into a US airport where you have to wait with everyone else for your bag to appear at the bag carousel....and it appears last, this means you have to wait behind every economy passenger on the flight at immigration. Sort of degrades any 'premium experience' of flying in F for me on so many levels.
Old May 19, 2024, 3:47 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Frankly I don’t care what on earth the bag looks like. What amazes me is what people carry in them. I try to be very disciplined and my rollaboard usually weighs about 12-14 kilos at absolute maximum.
Old May 19, 2024, 11:43 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Youd just about fit your jacket and pocket square in the F cupboard
I can fit my (just) BA hand baggage compliant rollaboard in at least one type of F cupboard (I think the 380?) and can certainly fit my "slightly pushing it but not much" personal item in there? Yes there are some that are super thin, but not all of them (unless my memory is playing tricks)
Old May 19, 2024, 11:45 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by chriswiles
Me too - but it depends on the destination too. If you're in F, for example, and flying into a US airport where you have to wait with everyone else for your bag to appear at the bag carousel....and it appears last, this means you have to wait behind every economy passenger on the flight at immigration. Sort of degrades any 'premium experience' of flying in F for me on so many levels.
Every US airport I know, you go through immigration before you pick up your bags. Certainly SFO works like this, and I think everywhere else does. You only go through the theoretical check for customs after retrieving your bag (theoretical as I have been stopped only once in about 100 times, and there is never a queue).
Old May 19, 2024, 11:53 am

Programs: BA GGL, SAS EBG
Originally Posted by abligh
Every US airport I know, you go through immigration before you pick up your bags. Certainly SFO works like this, and I think everywhere else does. You only go through the theoretical check for customs after retrieving your bag (theoretical as I have been stopped only once in about 100 times, and there is never a queue).
Unfortunately not every airport is like that. SEA, for example, has baggage collection before passport control. I found that out the hard way when I landed on BA53 about 45 mins after the previous international arrival. I thought that should be plenty to give a clear run on passport control but of course most people off the previous flight had only just picked up their bags and joined the queue minutes earlier...
Markie and The _Banking_Scot like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.