How lenient is BA in F for a carry-on?

Old May 17, 2024, 2:14 am

if there is query or worry and to avoid potentially annoying others outwith very limited cabin space/rules, maybe think of alternative
Old May 17, 2024, 3:25 am

Originally Posted by GodAtum
I have a hiking rucksack which is (HxWxD): 70 x 36 x 25cm. Is that too big for a carry on in F?
The first time I travelled on the A350 in J, a lady boarded with two very large cabin bags which looked very much like hold bags to me. Not only did she get onto the plane without being stopped, she put them in the huge lockers with relative ease. We landed in AUS and realised why she'd done that: you have to wait with everyone else for your luggage before going through immigration!
crazy8534 likes this.
Old May 17, 2024, 5:12 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGLfL
Originally Posted by chriswiles
The first time I travelled on the A350 in J, a lady boarded with two very large cabin bags which looked very much like hold bags to me. Not only did she get onto the plane without being stopped, she put them in the huge lockers with relative ease. We landed in AUS and realised why she'd done that: you have to wait with everyone else for your luggage before going through immigration!
Same in Seattle
crazy8534 and chriswiles like this.
Old May 17, 2024, 7:23 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Mucci
Originally Posted by chriswiles
I found this out when we arrived in AUS for the eclipse- did a fast walk through their maze of corridors etc. as my kids didn't have GE, so didn't want to be at the back of a big queue.
As it happened I think we were the only HBO people on the plane- the flip side was the immigration officer had loads of time and gave us a right good grilling about how we could be in the US for so long without any checked bags!
gustavmahler likes this.
Old May 17, 2024, 7:29 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Is that too big for a carry on in F?
The answer is :
No (from the viewpoint of the passenger wishing to take an oversize cabin bag)
Yes (from the viewpoint of the other passengers who are inconvenienced by an oversize cabin bag).

delete as appropriate.
orbitmic, aks120, bafan and 4 others like this.
Old May 17, 2024, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by Markie
Same in Seattle
and SAN
Old May 17, 2024, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by crazy8534
As it happened I think we were the only HBO people on the plane- the flip side was the immigration officer had loads of time and gave us a right good grilling about how we could be in the US for so long without any checked bags!
You were lucky. It's not always like that. If the Lufthansa flight before BA's is late landing, you can often get stuck behind the entire plane which happened to me once....and only two immigration officers. It can be a very variable immigration queue. It can be very quick (if your luggage is out early) or very slow. You never know what you'll get at AUS.

Ironically I flew out just before the eclipse (the weekend before), primarily as Austin was getting silly-busy and expensive even a week before the big event.

Also, just wanted to be clear. I don't advocate trying to bring hold-sized bags onto a flight in J or F.
crazy8534 likes this.

Last edited by chriswiles; May 17, 2024 at 8:28 am
Old May 17, 2024, 8:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I have a hiking rucksack which is (HxWxD): 70 x 36 x 25cm. Is that too big for a carry on in F?
The LHR regulars will advise but according to this.

"To avoid delays, Heathrow operates a two-bag policy at airport security. Only two items of hand baggage may be taken through security control, and they must be no larger than 56cm x 45cm x 25cm (22in x 18in x 10in). Items larger than this must be checked in as hold luggage you can check your bag size using the gauges at check-in."
Old May 17, 2024, 10:08 am

I regularly used a similar sized backpack as hand luggage on Ryanair, no issues getting into overheads.
Old May 17, 2024, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
Can't I put my rucksack in the F cupboard at my seat or under the buddy seat, rather then in the overhead?
Old May 17, 2024, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
No to both.
orbitmic likes this.
Old May 17, 2024, 12:12 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Can't I put my rucksack in the F cupboard at my seat or under the buddy seat, rather than in the overhead?
Yes, but you may need to decant its contents into the over head bin before squishing it into the wardrobe
Old May 17, 2024, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Can't I put my rucksack in the F cupboard at my seat or under the buddy seat, rather then in the overhead?
Youd just about fit your jacket and pocket square in the F cupboard
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old May 17, 2024, 1:52 pm

Programs: BAEC
Do you really need to take such a large bag as a carry on ? Checked First luggage does get priority. Or else just take a smaller rucksack and a hand bag and that way no one will bat an eyelid, and you lower the risk of upsetting other passengers…
Old May 17, 2024, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Not a chance x 2. what you describe wouldn't fit at all in the cupboard, and it would not fit under the Ottoman either so would be deemed a security hazard for take off and landing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.