Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Use of First check-in (not security) without the GCH present

Use of First check-in (not security) without the GCH present

Old May 15, 2024, 12:35 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2024
Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Posts: 49
Use of First check-in (not security) without the GCH present

Hi all

Iím travelling LHR-NCE in Y next week with two friends. Weíre all on the same booking, and Iím a GCH. However Iím likely to already be airside when my friends arrive as Iím flying in from NCL so the plan was to just meet them airside.

They will be checking in bags. I know they cannot use the First Wing security, but can they check in their bags there and then go through normal security without me being present, so they get the priority tag on and are therefore hopefully out quicker at the other end?

Or will I have to head landside once I come off my first flight, meet them, and then go through together?

Thanks in advance.
cdencl is offline  
Old May 15, 2024, 12:43 pm
  #2  
formerly JackDann
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 1,710
Youíre only allowed one guest, you must also be present. Why would they have access to check-in and not security?

I believe that having the bags tagged as priority makes absolutely no difference, so wouldnít worry about that.

Me and my Partner were both GCH and meeting parents recently, we headed landside to meet them and bring them through. At the time, FW security was shut, and in hindsight it was a bit pointless.
JD1905 is offline  
Old May 15, 2024, 12:44 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sheffield
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 422
Originally Posted by cdencl
Hi all

Iím travelling LHR-NCE in Y next week with two friends. Weíre all on the same booking, and Iím a GCH. However Iím likely to already be airside when my friends arrive as Iím flying in from NCL so the plan was to just meet them airside.

They will be checking in bags. I know they cannot use the First Wing security, but can they check in their bags there and then go through normal security without me being present, so they get the priority tag on and are therefore hopefully out quicker at the other end?

Or will I have to head landside once I come off my first flight, meet them, and then go through together?

Thanks in advance.
I wouldn't bother wasting your time.

The priority tag makes zero difference. They are purely for show. BA do not offer priority baggage delivery.
DiamondMile and DXB2745 like this.
kdhurst380 is offline  
Old May 15, 2024, 12:49 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2024
Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Posts: 49
Originally Posted by JD1905
Youíre only allowed one guest, you must also be present. Why would they have access to check-in and not security?

I believe that having the bags tagged as priority makes absolutely no difference, so wouldnít worry about that.

Me and my Partner were both GCH and meeting parents recently, we headed landside to meet them and bring them through. At the time, FW security was shut, and in hindsight it was a bit pointless.
Thanks. I know about the security line rule as it leads straight into the lounge hence max one guest, but there have been reports here of groups larger than two using the checkin and then just returning to normal fast track security. I was wondering if they could use it on the same booking as me, without me physically there.

Sounds like Iíll just be waiting airside for them then, they can fend for themselves 🙂

Originally Posted by kdhurst380
I wouldn't bother wasting your time.

The priority tag makes zero difference. They are purely for show. BA do not offer priority baggage delivery.
Thanks. Understood about priority baggage delivery - however overseas I have regularly seen the priority tagged bags come off first. Not in the UK though agreed

Last edited by golfmad; May 15, 2024 at 1:13 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts
cdencl is offline  
Old May 15, 2024, 12:57 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: London Stratford, E7
Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Posts: 3,489
Originally Posted by cdencl
Thanks. Understood about priority baggage delivery - however overseas I have regularly seen the priority tagged bags come off first. Not in the UK though agreed
Theres no guarantee as itís not a service BA publish and it depends on where the bags are loaded to the aircraft not the end station and a priority tag wonít do that.

I personally donít see the point of schlepping the whole way to F check in for a tag thatís worthless just get them to check in at the first empty desks and use closest security
cdencl, DiamondMile and DXB2745 like this.
KeaneJohn is offline  
Old May 15, 2024, 1:20 pm
  #6  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 64,541
Originally Posted by cdencl
Thanks. Understood about priority baggage delivery - however overseas I have regularly seen the priority tagged bags come off first. Not in the UK though agreed
It's just not a thing on BA because of the AKE bins and the way they are bulked loaded. On some shorthauls there are only 2 AKE units, the whole lot comes off together and then tipped on to the carousel. There was only one freeloaded service at LHR - namely to ALG - and that's now gone back to LGW. The tags are only there for ego purposes, it's automated via the barcode.
cdencl likes this.
corporate-wage-slave is offline  
Old May 15, 2024, 1:24 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere between 0 and 13,000 metres high
Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Posts: 30,750
Jiust to add taht baggage delivery at NCE is typically fast and most bags are typically delivered without big interruption between bins so I wouldn't worry too much.
mikeyfly and cdencl like this.
orbitmic is offline  
Old May 15, 2024, 4:00 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: London/Geneva/Budapest
Programs: LH SEN (*G), BA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Posts: 167
Unlike all (?) other OW partners, arenít the priority tags purely based on cabin with BA or has this changed as of very recently?
Christian K is offline  
Old May 15, 2024, 4:45 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Krakow
Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Posts: 6,270
Originally Posted by Christian K
Unlike all (?) other OW partners, arenít the priority tags purely based on cabin with BA or has this changed as of very recently?
ba does not offer priority baggage, not by cabin, nor by status

The one world website says

** Priority baggage handling is not currently available on flights operated by British Airways.

It has said this for years and years and years, despite whatever labels are stuck on your bags.

You can see it here :

https://www.oneworld.com/travel-benefits
cdencl likes this.

Last edited by scottishpoet; May 15, 2024 at 10:14 pm
scottishpoet is offline  
Old May 16, 2024, 1:08 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 318
Originally Posted by cdencl
Thanks. I know about the security line rule as it leads straight into the lounge hence max one guest, but there have been reports here of groups larger than two using the checkin and then just returning to normal fast track security. I was wondering if they could use it on the same booking as me, without me physically there.

Sounds like I’ll just be waiting airside for them then, they can fend for themselves 🙂
To answer your question about using First check in and then not going to the lounge via security there -

Yes, you can have the entire group, even more than 1 guest check in at the First desks and the excess guests can use North or South secuirty afterwards.

Done it many times with my family. But only if we have way too many bags for 2 people to check in. Otherwise 2 of us just go to North or South security while 2 go to first and check in all the bags

Whether you can have them use it if the GCH is not present, I don't know - please try and post resuts here :-)
cdencl likes this.
mrandery is offline  
Old May 16, 2024, 3:49 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 19
Hi
Mrandery - is this statement correct :-
"Yes, you can have the entire group, even more than 1 guest check in at the First desks and the excess guests can use North or South secuirty afterwards."
as it would save me a lot of hassle in August with my family.
I have mobility issues so my 16 year old son was going to help with baggage to the First check in desks and then accompany me as a Guest into the Concorde Lounge.

Is it definitely the case that my wife and other 2 children would be allowed to check in with me at the
First checkin -they hold nil status etc - and will be travelling in WT+, as this would be so much more convenient for us.
Thanks
richard9 is offline  
Old May 16, 2024, 4:00 am
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2024
Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Posts: 49
Originally Posted by richard9
Hi
Mrandery - is this statement correct :-
"Yes, you can have the entire group, even more than 1 guest check in at the First desks and the excess guests can use North or South secuirty afterwards."
as it would save me a lot of hassle in August with my family.
I have mobility issues so my 16 year old son was going to help with baggage to the First check in desks and then accompany me as a Guest into the Concorde Lounge.

Is it definitely the case that my wife and other 2 children would be allowed to check in with me at the
First checkin -they hold nil status etc - and will be travelling in WT+, as this would be so much more convenient for us.
Thanks
Yes, it's correct - but to be clear they can check in there with you, but you won't be able to go through the first wing security with more than one non-status pax so you'll have to return to the normal fast track south to clear security.
cdencl is offline  
Old May 16, 2024, 4:01 am
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2024
Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Posts: 49
Originally Posted by mrandery
Whether you can have them use it if the GCH is not present, I don't know - please try and post resuts here :-)
We'll give it a go and let you know. Thanks!
cdencl is offline  
Old May 16, 2024, 4:05 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 19
Thanks cdencl
I think my wife will be happy for us all to stay together until the bags have conveyered away so as she isn't
struggling with heavy bags and children.
Once checked in - myself and the eldest boy will go thru First Security and on to the Concord Room - while my wife and
other 2 boys will go out of the First Check In and find the normal passenger security lines.
Happy travels to all
richard9 is offline  
Old May 16, 2024, 4:08 am
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2024
Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Posts: 49
Originally Posted by richard9
Thanks cdencl
I think my wife will be happy for us all to stay together until the bags have conveyered away so as she isn't
struggling with heavy bags and children.
Once checked in - myself and the eldest boy will go thru First Security and on to the Concord Room - while my wife and
other 2 boys will go out of the First Check In and find the normal passenger security lines.
Happy travels to all
If you're eligible for the CCR then that would suggest you are GGL? If so you can have five guests so all can use first wing security with you.
cdencl is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.