Why do BA make shorthaul club so hard?

Old May 14, 2024, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Why do BA make shorthaul club so hard?

The BA Club experience to Manchester is comical for anyone at the back. Why can’t BA hand out ET snacks at the door on short routes to focus on Club so everyone has a chance of eating? Crew are clearly overstretched.
SxMan likes this.
Old May 14, 2024, 10:56 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
The thing I've noticed is the huge variation you get depending on the crew, it's just not a consistent experience and almost a lottery as to whether you'll get a good one or a bad one.

On the outbound of a trip to southern France I had a crew who barely managed to get meals to row 4 by the top of the descent. Meanwhile on the inbound return, the crew took drinks and meal orders on the ground prior to pushback from the gate, just writing down on a piece of paper what everyone wanted, then started serving a few minutes after take off.
Old May 14, 2024, 11:03 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by infrequentflytalker
The BA Club experience to Manchester is comical for anyone at the back. Why can’t BA hand out ET snacks at the door on short routes to focus on Club so everyone has a chance of eating? Crew are clearly overstretched.
in the distant past, they could serve a whole 757 with full English breakfast without any issue.
Old May 14, 2024, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by LondonAussie
The thing I've noticed is the huge variation you get depending on the crew, it's just not a consistent experience and almost a lottery as to whether you'll get a good one or a bad one.

On the outbound of a trip to southern France I had a crew who barely managed to get meals to row 4 by the top of the descent. Meanwhile on the inbound return, the crew took drinks and meal orders on the ground prior to pushback from the gate, just writing down on a piece of paper what everyone wanted, then started serving a few minutes after take off.
Agreed, a good and organised friendly Crew make all the difference.
However it’s BA who makes it so difficult sometimes with overcomplicated service routines, o thing wrong with bar-food-bar/ Tea and Coffee or Food-Bar/Tea and Coffee depending on flight length

How on earth they hardly managed 4 rows by the top of descent is beyond me, the. Again taking orders on the ground is not to standard either and confuses people even more and then quickly it becomes “expected” and when not done, Crew doing it to Standard are quickly tarnished as not effective, friendly and lazy.

a bit like the expectation from some GCHs that they are entitled to free drinks in ET because they had it a few times and when they don’t get it for whatever reason, they are quick to complain to the Crew, BA or here .
Old May 14, 2024, 11:26 am
jmd

Programs: BAEC gold
As a regular on JER, which is roughly of the same length, (and often has 7 or 8 rows of club) there is no issue with the service standards, as long as the crew are organised and quick. If the IFL doesn’t have a plan to keep things moving, or if they are slow out of the blocks then it all goes wrong. A good crew will have time to get the meals out and do a second drinks run. However you do get crews who are still dithering with the meals 20 mins into the flight…
Old May 14, 2024, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by BA6948
in the distant past, they could serve a whole 757 with full English breakfast without any issue.
Yes did that many times on the 767, we’d have loads of crew though. But even then the second tea or coffee was especially tricky when the pax would say “Can I have it later?”….. err there is no later! 😂
Old May 14, 2024, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by flygirl68
yes did that many times on the 767, we’d have loads of crew though. But even then the second tea or coffee was especially tricky when the pax would say “can i have it later?”….. Err there is no later! 😂
👌😆
Old May 14, 2024, 12:06 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by flygirl68
Yes did that many times on the 767, we’d have loads of crew though. But even then the second tea or coffee was especially tricky when the pax would say “Can I have it later?”….. err there is no later! 😂
Exactly - they had more crew and now they are at the minimum possible for full service. To the OP - in the early days of Club and Eurotraveller - ET passengers were given their meals when they boarded. It did not work. Club fares were astronomically expensive back then as well - there were no I fares.

I remember one Tristar to CDG which took 17 minutes flying time - I think that Air France were once again on strike - and we had to request a go-around as we had a huge Club load. We were slinging the stuff all over - lavs as well. We had those wretched lifts with the galleys below deck. Nightmare.
Old May 14, 2024, 12:18 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
I recently experienced great service MAN-LHR in CE. It comes down to good leadership from the IFL, well organised, prepared and motivated staff, and careful planning. As ever, people are human and it doesn’t always work. Perhaps it needs selected staff to work MAN, a bit like those working in F.
Old May 14, 2024, 12:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I generally never bother with anything on MAN-LHR or vice versa runs. I'll eat and/or drink in a lounge prior to the flight, failing that, I can survive the 40 mins or so without a blob of humous with a lettuce leaf on top especially if I'm connecting and have sufficient time to relax in a lounge..
Mostly going to be driving if I'm heading back to MAN, so no alcohol on board.

Never understood why, as said, they can't take orders on the ground. Sometimes there's a good 20-30 mins there, so they can't complain about no time (or is it due to working practices / hours paid?)
Southwest manage to do the entire plane, AA sometimes do it etc.

As for selected staff, depends on who you've got in the pool in the first place. Sure a lot of "better / more experienced" staff would prefer to be bidding on long haul flights to sunnier climes (assuming that's how things work?)
Old May 14, 2024, 12:33 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pennineuk
I recently experienced great service MAN-LHR in CE. It comes down to good leadership from the IFL, well organised, prepared and motivated staff, and careful planning. As ever, people are human and it doesn’t always work. Perhaps it needs selected staff to work MAN, a bit like those working in F.
I always found MF crew very good at delivering the service with time to spare. A lot of the problem is crew now doing it who haven’t done short haul for many years, and are simply unused to it.
Old May 14, 2024, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

The great crew on my usual route, EDI-LHR will proactively offer refills , coffee or tea after the meal and ask if you want anything else
The more indifferent crew will just serve the meal,.drinks with the meal and then clear the tray away without offering or asking if you wanted anything else.( then close the curtain to the galley for the last 40mins)
Usually not too fussed as it is a short flight ( though from boarding to disembarking it can be getting up to 2 hours with minor hold ups ie circling london heathrow) but if I want a coffee after the meal I'll ask for it if not proactively offered ( and we are still at cruise)
Most of the time it is a mixture but more good flights than indifferent ones
Regards

TBS
Old May 14, 2024, 12:52 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by KARFA
I always found MF crew very good at delivering the service with time to spare. A lot of the problem is crew now doing it who haven’t done short haul for many years, and are simply unused to it.
Yes, it was always very easy to see when crew were MAN first-timers!
Old May 14, 2024, 2:01 pm

Programs: BAEC
It’s totally down to the crew. I was on a JER today with about 6-7 rows of CE, and they managed afternoon tea and three top-ups of champagne (the last accompanied with a request to ‘help us avoid waste’) - brilliant.
jmd, BA or bust, bafan and 7 others like this.
Old May 14, 2024, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

So why can’t they do pre-ordering before taxi-ing as a service standard, put drinks and snacks on the seat or even better to simply hand out at the gate while the plane is inevitably delayed or as they board, like they did with wipes for Covid?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.