BA lounge Smell

Old May 14, 2024, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
BA lounge Smell

Not sure if it's just me but the BA lounges seem to have a mildly unpleasant smell - a mix between toilets, food and sweat. Noticed this at Gatwick and Heathrow.

Is there any reason why they don't use food containers with lids for the hot buffet? And perhaps pump out an inoffensive fragrance.
oceanscape likes this.
Old May 14, 2024, 9:04 am

Programs: BA GGL
Never observed anything material in most of the lounges, I have to say. The only thing I notice is around the toilets, where the scent of the nice soap that BA uses is something that'll never grow old on me.
Old May 14, 2024, 9:50 am

Programs: BA Gold
I think you might mean "public place smell". The lounges smell perfectly fine to me. The only exception was the Concorde Bar in Singapore the only time I tried it when they had just cleaned the floor and it felt like I was bleaching my lungs.
Old May 14, 2024, 10:00 am

1st lounge always has that nice smell pumping through it at LHR just as you enter the lounge from TFW. And at Christmas time, cinnamon was being pumped out!
becks1 and flarmip like this.
Old May 14, 2024, 10:05 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by labdoctor

Is there any reason why they don't use food containers with lids for the hot buffet? And perhaps pump out an inoffensive fragrance.
Because buffets open to the public (who rarely wash their hands despite all that the pandemic taught us) are a food hygiene nightmare and lids are yet one further item that can be touched / dropped in the food / used to cross contaminate allergens etc.
Old May 14, 2024, 11:50 am

Programs: BA; IHG; LHW; Hilton
Originally Posted by labdoctor
Not sure if it's just me but the BA lounges seem to have a mildly unpleasant smell - a mix between toilets, food and sweat. Noticed this at Gatwick and Heathrow.

occasionally there is the odour of decomposing rodents who consume the bait that has put down and then quietly die out of sight.
labdoctor likes this.
Old May 14, 2024, 12:08 pm

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
The First Wing has an awful smell. What's worse is it's intentional. The whiff of BA, or whatever it's called.
labdoctor likes this.
Old May 14, 2024, 12:13 pm

Programs: IB+ Oro (OWS) / FB / SQ
Surely it's just body odour from hundreds of people given how busy the Galleries Lounges always are.
Old May 14, 2024, 12:15 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by flarmip
Never observed anything material in most of the lounges, I have to say. The only thing I notice is around the toilets, where the scent of the nice soap that BA uses is something that'll never grow old on me.
Same here, I have this home feeling when I smell it. I bet it's available for general sale as well!
flarmip likes this.
Old May 14, 2024, 12:29 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by SxMan
occasionally there is the odour of decomposing rodents who consume the bait that has put down and then quietly die out of sight.
I can confirm that us Silvers don't go to the lounges to eat then die.
Old May 14, 2024, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TabTraveller
Because buffets open to the public (who rarely wash their hands despite all that the pandemic taught us) are a food hygiene nightmare and lids are yet one further item that can be touched / dropped in the food / used to cross contaminate allergens etc.
I was referring to containers that have fixed lids on a closing hinge, like those used in most other lounges (Cathay, Plaza Premium etc)
Old May 14, 2024, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

To me, in BA lounges, there is always a feeling the air is stuffy and humid, like there is inadequate ventilation or circulation. Never experience this in a Cathay lounge for example.

I think the smell would also be 'enhanced' if they bothered to place food in lidded containers (i.e. ones on a hinge with a closing lid)
SxMan likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.