What to wear in First Class

Old May 8, 2024, 11:41 am
  #91  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: London
Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Posts: 2,363
BA have let themselves down here over the years - of course gentlemen were expected to wear a collar and tie, ladies wore hats and gloves, in the days when your steward served canapes on silver trays groaning with caviar and lobsters and carved your roast on a trolley cooked to your liking with all the trimmings. That, and the demise of the Monarch Lounge upstairs on the classic 747, has led to a downward spiral in sartorial standards on board.

May I suggest that shorts/posing pouches are a poor choice given the certainty of significant friction burns in the (unlikely) event of having to exit the aircraft via an emergency slide. Shorts and 'thongs' may only be worn on arrival in Australia (bush hat with corks on strings are now optional).

Please cover up your gnarly feet at all times, but otherwise wear whatever you like. If it were down to me, adults wearing football themed clothing should be denied boarding or invited to travel in the cargo hold. On second thoughts, that applies to children too.

One other bug-bear - wearing First 'leisure wear' when travelling in another cabin. Possibly less offensive now, but recently had some berk parading around in an old pair - the ones with the word 'First' tragically woven on the front, so they must have been at least 6 years old, on a flight without an F cabin. If you must take them with you, you can wear them in your hotel or at home.

The only time I've come close to wearing black tie/tuxedo on board was after an all-nighter in New York and going back on the breakfast departure from JFK. I was definitely still wearing the trousers but managed to remove the bow tie and covered the shirt with a pully. The purser - remember them? - was quite sympathetic in the circumstances. Sadly no Kedgeree to go with the Champagne. A little bit infra dig to wear the full rig in the morning

Last edited by Betteronacamel; May 8, 2024 at 3:32 pm Reason: Typos
Betteronacamel is offline  
Old May 8, 2024, 12:02 pm
  #92  
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: DCA/IAD/WAS
Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Posts: 2,141
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
So pajamas then with or without underwear.
Do you keep your underwear on when wearing F jammies?
Without.
iadisgreat is offline  
Old May 8, 2024, 12:05 pm
  #93  
 
Join Date: Dec 2022
Location: Edinburgh, UK
Posts: 116
Originally Posted by Earthman
I don't often fly in First but I am in a week or two and will wear what I want tidily
However and I'm sure theres threads on this etiquette somewhere too but on a 13hr flight,I absolutely will be doing a few walking laps pf the plane,is this ok to do in the first pajama kit with slippers ?
Can't tell if you are joking or not, but you're right, there have been other threads about this, and the most recent one I recall/commented on, there was some quite strident comments about walking amongst cabins and whether you should even be allowed to leave your assigned cabin class or not. I think the F PJs and slippers might send some over the edge, as talk of leaving the F cabin seemed incendiary enough! Proceed at your own risk!
FlyingCruiser is offline  
Old May 8, 2024, 12:14 pm
  #94  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Dublin,Ireland and Nice France
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 2,152
Originally Posted by FlyingCruiser
Can't tell if you are joking or not, but you're right, there have been other threads about this, and the most recent one I recall/commented on, there was some quite strident comments about walking amongst cabins and whether you should even be allowed to leave your assigned cabin class or not. I think the F PJs and slippers might send some over the edge, as talk of leaving the F cabin seemed incendiary enough! Proceed at your own risk!
I wasn't actually joking,I always walk from the club cabin to the end of the plane and back up the other side through the curtains
I'd not be happy I think doing it in F,its on the A380,so a nice walk
At one stage I've sat down in a spare Economy seat for a while and read the kindle
FlyingCruiser likes this.
Earthman is offline  
Old May 8, 2024, 12:14 pm
  #95  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: London
Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Posts: 2,596
Interesting how this has changed over the last 10 years. I found the Shorts in FIRST thread mentioned above so amusing because there were genuinely people arguing 'you should be in at least a collared shirt' or 'you wouldn't dress in a t-shirt to go to the Ritz, therefore make an effort to feel comfortable and not out of place in F'. Now there's none of that.
gustavmahler is offline  
Old May 8, 2024, 1:17 pm
  #96  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: London / Brighton
Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Posts: 1,713
Good and about time IMHO. If I pay several K on a flight then Ill dress for comfort or where Im going, not to impress someone else. If someone wants to clutch their pearls over me wearing shorts in the hallowed cabin then thats their issue.
bafan and gustavmahler like this.
Lucanesque is offline  
Old May 8, 2024, 1:18 pm
  #97  
Formerly known as newbie elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: YUL
Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Posts: 2,992
As long as you are clothed, no one cares what you wear
bafan, gustavmahler and Lucanesque like this.
Admiral Ackbar is online now  
Old May 8, 2024, 1:21 pm
  #98  
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Newcastle, UK
Programs: BAEC GGL, IHG Platinum, FlyingBlue Gold, Hilton Diamond, Mucci des repas d'enfant
Posts: 3,393
Never mind
gustavmahler likes this.
JapesUK is offline  
Old May 8, 2024, 2:49 pm
  #99  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: SE1, London
Posts: 23,660
Originally Posted by gustavmahler
Interesting how this has changed over the last 10 years. I found the Shorts in FIRST thread mentioned above so amusing because there were genuinely people arguing 'you should be in at least a collared shirt' or 'you wouldn't dress in a t-shirt to go to the Ritz, therefore make an effort to feel comfortable and not out of place in F'. Now there's none of that.
Interesting point. The world has gone very casual. 10 years ago I still had to wear a suit and tie for work. Now I cannot remember a meeting with someone dressed that formally, and my work attire is normally a hoodie and jeans with a pair of Allbirds. This is an unreservedly good thing.
Swanhunter is online now  
Old May 8, 2024, 2:52 pm
  #100  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 4,004
If you want the full F experience then dress smart casual. Tie is only needed for elderly passengers.

If you wear a thong and tee shirt youll get the cheap wine from Y and spit in your fish sauce.
seanp7 and nk15 like this.
Greenpen is offline  
Old May 8, 2024, 3:10 pm
  #101  
formerly JackDann
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 1,731
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Interesting point. The world has gone very casual. 10 years ago I still had to wear a suit and tie for work. Now I cannot remember a meeting with someone dressed that formally, and my work attire is normally a hoodie and jeans with a pair of Allbirds. This is an unreservedly good thing.
My work still insist on wearing a suit, despite none of our clients doing so anymore. It makes us look out of place completely in meetings and creates an Us vs Them sort of separation. I hate to think what they were like 10 years ago!
Swanhunter likes this.
JD1905 is offline  
Old May 8, 2024, 3:12 pm
  #102  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NYC, FLL
Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Posts: 6,463
Shoes. Wear shoes. The lavs require it !
seanp7 is online now  
Old May 8, 2024, 3:15 pm
  #103  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: London / Brighton
Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Posts: 1,713
Originally Posted by seanp7
Shoes. Wear shoes. The lavs require it !
Never ceases to amaze / repulse me the people I see wandering through the cabin to the toilet in their socks, or worse barefoot 🤢
Lucanesque is offline  
Old May 8, 2024, 3:19 pm
  #104  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NYC, FLL
Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Posts: 6,463
Originally Posted by Betteronacamel
One other bug-bear - wearing First 'leisure wear' when travelling in another cabin. Possibly less offensive now, but recently had some berk parading around in an old pair - the ones with the word 'First' tragically woven on the front, so they must have been at least 6 years old, on a flight without an F cabin.
I wear F pyjamas on CW night flights all the time. For the 1-2 times Im actually out of my seat, I would say 0-2 people see them or even notice - thats hardly parading !
seanp7 is online now  
Old May 8, 2024, 3:41 pm
  #105  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Dundee
Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Posts: 1,476
Just remember, if it's an Avios redemption, your carry on back must include one of these:

BlueThroughCrimp is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.