What to wear in First Class

Old May 8, 2024, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by Earthman
I don't often fly in First but I am in a week or two and will wear what I want tidily
However and I'm sure theres threads on this etiquette somewhere too but on a 13hr flight,I absolutely will be doing a few walking laps pf the plane,is this ok to do in the first pajama kit with slippers ?
For aircraft laps you need joggers, trainers, and a headband.

If you are taking a shower in Etihad Apartments you need a swimsuit and goggles...
Old May 8, 2024, 8:14 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I've worn shorts in F and J, and suit & tie in Y. It's situational. Coming from a business meeting, then a suit is likely. If I'm flying JL, then the only way I survive the overtemped cabin is in shorts - even in the middle of winter. Whatever is worn, so long as it's clean and tidy, nobody cares. This ain't your grandpa's airline experience anymore.

Now speaking with my aviation safety professional hat on, a couple of things I've often been told and I often ignore (yes, I'm being a bit of a hypocrite): long pants to protect your legs in case of an accident, don't wear synthetic fabrics because they melt, don't wear stockings or leggings (for the same reason), wear shoes that are protective and allow you to move quickly (i.e., no heals), loose fabrics but not too loose as to get snagged on anything. If you want to be pretty or handsome, in accordance with your own definition for those words, go for it. Just be mindful of the fact the primary reason you're on the tube with wings is to safely get from point A to point B.
Old May 8, 2024, 8:23 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
A leather posing pouch will certainly get you noticed.
Old May 8, 2024, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
I've worn shorts in F and J, and suit & tie in Y. It's situational. Coming from a business meeting, then a suit is likely. If I'm flying JL, then the only way I survive the overtemped cabin is in shorts - even in the middle of winter. Whatever is worn, so long as it's clean and tidy, nobody cares. This ain't your grandpa's airline experience anymore.

Now speaking with my aviation safety professional hat on, a couple of things I've often been told and I often ignore (yes, I'm being a bit of a hypocrite): long pants to protect your legs in case of an accident, don't wear synthetic fabrics because they melt, don't wear stockings or leggings (for the same reason), wear shoes that are protective and allow you to move quickly (i.e., no heals), loose fabrics but not too loose as to get snagged on anything. If you want to be pretty or handsome, in accordance with your own definition for those words, go for it. Just be mindful of the fact the primary reason you're on the tube with wings is to safely get from point A to point B.
You forgot the long sleeves, but it's not going to happen...Btw, living and dying looking pretty and comfy is a choice, not hypocrisy... If we were to follow all safety recommendations we should be booking seats in the last row of economy, but that's clearly not going to happen either...
Old May 8, 2024, 8:31 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LCY8737
Black tie. Nothing else will do.
Black tie? My dear boy, are you part of the help?

It's first class. Nothing short of White Tie will do.
Old May 8, 2024, 8:40 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Some ideas here??

FIRST Dress Code?
Old May 8, 2024, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, BMI, ANA, HH Blue, SPG Gold
Im going for the pyjamas, as Im bound to spill something.
Old May 8, 2024, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by botham
Im going for the pyjamas, as Im bound to spill something.
Quite. I've never bothered with the pyjamas*, but being very clumsy I always wear dark blue jeans and a dark blue or black short-sleeved shirt so any spillages (hopefully) will be hidden.

*So far, but I will probably give them a go on the long DOH-DPS leg of my Qatar J trip to Bali next month.
fergiethefocus and JapesUK like this.
Old May 8, 2024, 9:08 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, IHG Platinum, FlyingBlue Gold, Hilton Diamond, Mucci des repas d'enfant
Originally Posted by SteveF
Quite. I've never bothered with the pyjamas*, but being very clumsy I always wear dark blue jeans and a dark blue or black short-sleeved shirt so any spillages (hopefully) will be hidden.

*So far, but I will probably give them a go on the long DOH-DPS leg of my Qatar J trip to Bali next month.
Business casual for me, irrespective of cabin. Definitely dark colours for exactly the same reason. Black trousers and a dark shirt have hidden a multitude of sins and spillages, not all caused by myself!
SteveF and nk15 like this.
Old May 8, 2024, 9:16 am

Thank you for the great comments/laughs this morning
Old May 8, 2024, 10:32 am

Very variable from a nice dress to hoodie T-shirt and jeggings, I don’t change in to the pyjamas but take them as they make great lounging wear on winter evenings at home!
JapesUK likes this.
Old May 8, 2024, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by botham
We are flying in F shortly and my wife is worrying about what we should wear.

What would you guys suggest? Smart or comfortable?
Comfortable.
With the exception of when Im flying for work I always wear the same thing regardless of cabin. Its a pair of cargo trousers and a red Hawaiian shirt and I dont change that for anyone. Im comfortable wearing that and so thats what I wear. Ive had a member of the crew ask for details on the shirt and where I bought it, which was nicce.

Its always quite fun seeing some other passengers look at me going into the CCR and F with bewilderment. Especially when one couple had been turned away from the CCR in front of me and then watched expecting me to get the same treatment.
Originally Posted by TTmex
A classic, as was the McDonalds in First thread
I know it wasnt F but this does it for me.
How much Amps can I draw from the new clubworld seat?
gustavmahler, JapesUK and Delboy65 like this.

Last edited by Jimmie76; May 8, 2024 at 11:24 am
Old May 8, 2024, 11:17 am

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by LCY8737
Black tie. Nothing else will do.
I don't know why I read it as "black tie only with nothing else." lol
LCY8737 likes this.

Last edited by pigx5; May 8, 2024 at 11:44 am
Old May 8, 2024, 11:19 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Flying to Barbados a couple of years ago, we saw a family on the jet bridge. The mum was wearing this extraordinary long white dress costume type affair, complete with headpiece - presumably to keep the sun off (must have been on the A side). Oh were flying business class, even with the children these days. I smiled and nodded and turned left.
Old May 8, 2024, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I don't have the legs for a tutu and dislike formal wear so it's always been casual and comfortable for me.as well as the missus.
So pajamas then with or without underwear.
Do you keep your underwear on when wearing F jammies?
HIDDY likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.