What to wear in First Class

Old May 7, 2024, 3:28 pm

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Gold, Starbucks Gold
Formal attire is only de rigeur if invited to dine at the Captain's Table. I have yet to receive that honour though, it must be reserved for those chaps in Group 0.
fnl111 and Lucanesque like this.
Old May 7, 2024, 3:37 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC electrum
Originally Posted by botham
I apologise to everyone for starting a new thread. I really should have checked using search function before posting. 🙌
​​​​​​
No problem. We have all had a lot of fun posting, and we're all people who really travel in F so I hope you are now relaxed about your options
botham likes this.
Old May 7, 2024, 3:46 pm

We are flying in F shortly and my wife is worrying about what we should wear.

What would you guys suggest? Smart or comfortable?
I worried about this the first time I flew First but there really was no need.

I honestly wouldn't worry and would recommend something you and your wife feel comfortable in and makes you both happy to wear.

Don't dress up just to try and look the part, just to be uncomfortable, when it's likely no one else in the cabin will be overly dressed up.

​​​​​Enjoy your trip.

​​
Old May 7, 2024, 4:18 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

I usually go smart but casual. There's no rules really. Wear joggers and a loose top for comfort. No one will bother really.

An older photo from the UD of the 747 (December 2017), almost as good as First Class, well nearly.............

simonsmith, KARFA and JapesUK like this.
Old May 7, 2024, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I recommend a tuxedo t-shirt. It is respectful for the occasion, but also comfy. It is also sarcastic, and provides a social commentary....It is also a conversation piece, with the conversation being "do you want to make this flight?"

Old May 7, 2024, 4:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Mucci: Classe de la Luxe Eternelle
You both should wear whatever makes you feel good. If this means smartly, in order to mark the occasion, then great! I appreciate other nicely turned out passengers too as I do think it enhances the atmosphere, not that my approval is at all relevant outside of my own experience.

I have often excitedly planned a chic outfit for a trip in F as its part of the fun and makes ME feel fabulous for the start of my trip. Conversely, more than once I have turned up straight from South Beach with sand in my hair and flip flops still on.

You are in First so feel free to suit yourself - that is the point, after all!
MysoreBound likes this.
Old May 7, 2024, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
We are flying in F shortly and my wife is worrying about what we should wear.

What would you guys suggest? Smart or comfortable?
The guys may have multiple ideas but this gal will chip in. Wear whatever is comfortable, lightweight (as airports tend to get hot) and loose. No need to wear a skirt or dress unless you feel comfortable in it. I tend to wear jeans or cargo pants, comfortable shoes and a tee shirt or loose fitting shirt and have never felt under dressed. Tell your wife not to worry.
botham likes this.
Old May 7, 2024, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Here are my thoughts on the subject. For the trip I dress summer smart casual but very light and comfy (see example below from a less attractive model ), with the idea that I will change into pajamas (t-shirt and shorts) after during take off. There is no way I will be in jeans or pants for a long haul in J or F.

noFODplease and flarmip like this.

Last edited by nk15; May 7, 2024 at 5:41 pm
Old May 7, 2024, 5:41 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nk15
Here are my thoughts on the subject. For the trip I dress summer smart casual but very light and comfy (see example below from a less attractive male model ), with the idea that I will change into pajamas (t-shirt and shorts) after during take off. There is no way I will be in jeans or pants for a long haul in J or F.

I feel some of us havent quite got the body to pull off that outfit - at least not without a more relaxed fit top
Old May 7, 2024, 6:37 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, WN RapidRewards, DL SkyMiles, UA Mileage Plus, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Flip42
Pajamas.
Especially if it's a ULH flight. Judge all you want, but I'll be a lot more comfortable and relaxed than you are.

Also, my Instagram is linked to my profile, and my Insta bio references the very same subject.
Old May 7, 2024, 7:00 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
I, being female, default to conservative casual....comfortable stretch cords (Lands End because they will wash in a hotel sink and dry overnight and they aren't expensive so spills don't matter), a silk turtleneck (warm but it breathes) and a decent cardigan. Never felt under or over dressed and always comfortable. I bring my own PJs and use BA's slippers just because.........
Barrheadlass likes this.
Old May 7, 2024, 7:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I don't have the legs for a tutu and dislike formal wear so it's always been casual and comfortable for me.as well as the missus.
wrp96 and fnl111 like this.
Old May 7, 2024, 8:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Virgin Gold
Pookie will look fire regardless of what shes wearing
Old May 7, 2024, 8:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / SQ *A Gold / Marriott Titanium
I personally find a 90s movie look works well. It shows people you knew what travel was like in the good old days when you got beef carved at your seat.

Old May 7, 2024, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Assless chaps
iadisgreat and fergiethefocus like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.