Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Which passengers should be included in group 0?

Which passengers should be included in group 0?

Old May 2, 2024, 5:43 am
  #61  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: BHX
Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Posts: 7,392
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
I suppose the big question is how many GfL members are there?
Having thought about this, a better question is "how many GfL card holders travel through LHR each day (on average)?". I'd wager there are a significant number of GfL cards from Concorde days, etc. who rarely, if ever, set foot on a plane today.
msm2000uk likes this.
Wozza2404 is offline  
Old May 2, 2024, 5:43 am
  #62  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: BHX
Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Posts: 7,392
Originally Posted by crazy8534
100% agree, in fact a whole lot of silliness could have been avoided from the start if CE was put into Group 2, the "business class" group.
This would actually have been a really sensible thing to do.
crazy8534 likes this.
Wozza2404 is offline  
Old May 2, 2024, 6:23 am
  #63  
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: The Blackwater Valley (Berkshire/Hampshire/Surrey border area)
Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Diamond, etc etc
Posts: 209
TBH I think BA have got it about right - other than calling in Group 0... and do they really need six WT/ET groups?

Group 1: GGL
Group 2: First, Gold (inc GfL) and OW Emerald
Group 3: CW/CE, Silver and OW Sapphire
Group 4: WTP, Bronze and OW Ruby
Group 5 etc: WT/ET
AlexIG likes this.
Cyberhacker is offline  
Old May 2, 2024, 7:31 am
  #64  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: London
Programs: British Airways
Posts: 131
Would like F passengers to board as Group 0.
pumatwin is offline  
Old May 2, 2024, 7:56 am
  #65  
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: The Blackwater Valley (Berkshire/Hampshire/Surrey border area)
Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Diamond, etc etc
Posts: 209
Originally Posted by Cyberhacker
TBH I think BA have got it about right - other than calling in Group 0... and do they really need six WT/ET groups?

Group 1: GGL
Group 2: First, Gold (inc GfL) and OW Emerald
Group 3: CW/CE, Silver and OW Sapphire
Group 4: WTP, Bronze and OW Ruby
Group 5 etc: WT/ET
I forgot to add... *I* should be in Group 0, ahead of everyone else, because DYKWIA ?
Cyberhacker is offline  
Old May 2, 2024, 8:13 am
  #66  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: London
Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Gold, Starbucks Gold
Posts: 2,747
Originally Posted by Cyberhacker
TBH I think BA have got it about right - other than calling in Group 0... and do they really need six WT/ET groups?

Group 1: GGL
Group 2: First, Gold (inc GfL) and OW Emerald
Group 3: CW/CE, Silver and OW Sapphire
Group 4: WTP, Bronze and OW Ruby
Group 5 etc: WT/ET
Of course they do, it's part of the Great British adopted tradition of 'divide and rule' - create artificial divisions within the downtrodden masses, and maybe they will stop wondering who gets 99% of the pie...
MaxFlyer likes this.
ratechaser is offline  
Old May 6, 2024, 4:37 am
  #67  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Surrey, UK
Programs: BA GGL, Bonvoy lt Titanium, UA lt Gld MM, HHonors Diamond, Starbucks Gold!
Posts: 110
This is all very nice in theory... However, the last several boardings I've done have been collosal failures... Group 0 - please wait downstairs... then Group 1 comes down and board, effectively with Group 0 behind group 1. Or the ever popular, please wait in the jet bridge - eventually along with the rest of the passengers. Or board behind the extra time and families boarding. BA needs to figure out what they're trying to do, set expectations, and then train their ground / gate staff. And stop beginning the boarding process before the crew is ready to accept passengers onboard!!! grrrr.....
willphillipson is offline  
Old May 6, 2024, 5:03 am
  #68  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,710
Let the GGL's have their Group 0 .... anything to make them feel ever so slightly special.

I think it's all rather petty and childish myself ... we're talking about a 10 second head start on group 1... all of which can be outranked by anyone for free if requesting wheelchair assistance...

What I'd actually like to see is some effective queue management in the gate area. Some airlines do this extremely well ... and at the other end of the scale you have British Airways.
SW7London likes this.
1Aturnleft is online now  
Old May 6, 2024, 5:23 am
  #69  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 43,722
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
Let the GGL's have their Group 0 .... anything to make them feel ever so slightly special.

I think it's all rather petty and childish myself ... we're talking about a 10 second head start on group 1... all of which can be outranked by anyone for free if requesting wheelchair assistance...

What I'd actually like to see is some effective queue management in the gate area. Some airlines do this extremely well ... and at the other end of the scale you have British Airways.
exactly! looking forward to boarding with you in group 9 in the future comrade - which I am sure you always do as you also hate to get a head start on anyone else yourself.

down with the capitalist hierarchical patriarchy
KARFA is online now  
Old May 6, 2024, 7:09 am
  #70  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London
Posts: 750
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
Let the GGL's have their Group 0 .... anything to make them feel ever so slightly special.

I think it's all rather petty and childish myself ... we're talking about a 10 second head start on group 1... all of which can be outranked by anyone for free if requesting wheelchair assistance...

What I'd actually like to see is some effective queue management in the gate area. Some airlines do this extremely well ... and at the other end of the scale you have British Airways.
Agree. And if introducing a tenth boarding group really is the best way to fix priority boarding then you wonder what BA is thinking, the fact that its still inconsistent in its application shows they need to make it simpler and better.

Anything that makes flying easier for GGLs is good given how much they travel - I never used to do GGL level of travel but in some years came close - and couldn't think of anything worse. Not sure adding a separate Group 0 - which is not consistently offered - is the best way to make things easier for GGLs though.
SW7London is offline  
Old May 6, 2024, 10:17 am
  #71  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: London
Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Posts: 2,596
I mean I have little skin in this game but Im in the First Class should mean first camp. F should give the top of the airlines offer from phone lines (once booked, sure), check-in, lounges, boarding to on-board. Sure, GGLs in F would trump meal choices if thats ever an issue but thats about it. There arent many routes with F left and even fewer with 14 seats so theyre hardly going to overrun the dear GGLs. Ill observe from Group 2.
gustavmahler is offline  
Old May 6, 2024, 10:42 am
  #72  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: London / Brighton
Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Posts: 1,713
Originally Posted by SW7London
Agree. And if introducing a tenth boarding group really is the best way to fix priority boarding then you wonder what BA is thinking, the fact that its still inconsistent in its application shows they need to make it simpler and better.

Anything that makes flying easier for GGLs is good given how much they travel - I never used to do GGL level of travel but in some years came close - and couldn't think of anything worse. Not sure adding a separate Group 0 - which is not consistently offered - is the best way to make things easier for GGLs though.
Priority boarding broke when Group 1-3 were merged together in to one amalgamous blob of DYKWIA. I'm with you on GGLs having their lives made as easy as possible, they typically fly the most and / or spend a lot of money, but now we've got 10 official groups, plus then at least three categories of pre-boarders (those with children, those who need extra time to board, and those who'll check a bag in) and it all contributes to making boarding a stressful experience.
Lucanesque is offline  
Old May 6, 2024, 11:52 am
  #73  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,710
Originally Posted by KARFA
exactly! looking forward to boarding with you in group 9 in the future comrade - which I am sure you always do as you also hate to get a head start on anyone else yourself.

down with the capitalist hierarchical patriarchy
I'm rarely queued up in time to partake when the higher priority groups are called.... and that's my choice. What I'd actually like is an enforced priority lane when boarding starts where 0-3 can pretty much walk on up when they arrive instead of getting stuck in a poorly managed blob of other groups who cant manage to stand in the line they're meant to be in..... I know it's asking a lot but its has the potential to be a whole lot better than it currently is.
​​​​​
1Aturnleft is online now  
Old May 6, 2024, 12:02 pm
  #74  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Europe
Programs: BAEC Silver; AerClub Silver, Hilton Honors Diamond
Posts: 333
I think the main issue is grouping the groups.
I mean, what is the point having 10 groups but then start grouping them? So we have group 0 and 1 often called together; that cause some 0 and 1 members being trapped in between 2 and 3 because at the gate 1 to 3 are most of the time in the same designated queue.
Why not put in place a system with less groups better policed and easier manage?
I would imagine data analysts in BA have studied the onboarding flow and noticed a great saving of time in doing so many groups but I cannot really see much benefit.
Lucanesque likes this.
MP001 is online now  
Old May 6, 2024, 12:08 pm
  #75  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
Posts: 817
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
I'm rarely queued up in time to partake when the higher priority groups are called.... and that's my choice. What I'd actually like is an enforced priority lane when boarding starts where 0-3 can pretty much walk on up when they arrive instead of getting stuck in a poorly managed blob of other groups who cant manage to stand in the line they're meant to be in..... I know it's asking a lot but its has the potential to be a whole lot better than it currently is.
​​​​​
I tend to board with my group (1 or 2), but I thought the whole point of having the separate tensa priority boarding line for groups 0-3 and the tensa maze for 4-9 was that groups 0-3 could bypass the tensa maze during later boarding.

Given that BA cant manage this at their home base with their own staff and control over the gate configurations, I think all hope is lost.

Another vote for simplification with consistent application.
bd95 is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.