Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Which passengers should be included in group 0?

Which passengers should be included in group 0?

Old May 1, 2024, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As GfL, former GGL and sporadic F traveller.

GfL should be group 1. F should be Group 0. GGL also Group 0.

GfL comes with the enormous benefit that Iíll never ever be Silver or Brown in my lifetime. I celebrate that!
Old May 1, 2024, 11:21 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFL
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
I'd agree with the common on GfL, if only because GfL currently has no soft benefits.

M
I'd agree with this too. Really nice reward/benefit to those who reach GFL.
Old May 1, 2024, 11:32 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
No to F as 14 passengers being added to the holding pen plus pre-boards and GGL can be too much.
crazy8534 and 2358 like this.
Old May 1, 2024, 11:34 am

Programs: BA GGL
Back during the trial days we did a group of 10 boarding in group 0 (2x bookings each with a GGL) at GVA. The look of bewilderement on the face of all the group 1s was a sight to behold, however I digress. Group 0 is meant to make the frequent fliers (the majority of whom spend a lot of money with BA) feel good about themselves (wait sorry, did I say that out loud? I meant to reward them...), not the occasional flier who happens to be in F on an Avios booking. Keep it as it is. As mentioned before, GfL is merely just someone with a Gold card for life. That is the benefit.
crazy8534, jaro and Komodromou like this.
Old May 1, 2024, 11:55 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I'd rather board at my leisure than be pigeonholed.
In that respect, Group0 should be strictly reserved to those with a NE postcode, maybe BT too (not SR obvs) - this is because we may get triggered if we travel on BA away from hjem. Oh and BA Forum Ambassadors.
HIDDY, PETER01, orbitmic and 6 others like this.
Old May 1, 2024, 11:59 am

Programs: BA Gold
As someone who will (probably) never be a GGL, it's a no to F from me as well. Loyalty across a qualification period should always trump someone who is buying a one-off F fare (if it's not a one-off they probably have GGL so it's a non-issue)
Old May 1, 2024, 12:23 pm

Programs: BAEC GGLfL
It's about aspiration. People in F (and the Golds) should have something to which to aspire.
Old May 1, 2024, 12:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (1w Emerald), United Platinum (*G), Marriott Plat Elite
LH for example boards F + HON Circle together while UA boards first GS+1K+other preboards and Polaris comes next. I don't see why F should necessarily board together with group 0, apart from the fact they paid a small fortune for the ticket - the same logichow a GGL or GCH in basic economy will board before a person flying Club Europe.
Old May 1, 2024, 12:34 pm

Programs: Some
Everyone who earns at least as many Tier Points as me!
Old May 1, 2024, 12:36 pm

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by jaro
LH for example boards F + HON Circle together while UA boards first GS+1K+other preboards and Polaris comes next. I don't see why F should necessarily board together with group 0, apart from the fact they paid a small fortune for the ticket - the same logichow a GGL or GCH in basic economy will board before a person flying Club Europe.
Many passengers in J will actually have paid more than passengers in F, cost is not the only factor.
jaro likes this.
Old May 1, 2024, 12:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I think flying in "proper" F and not being in the first group to board is a bit weird. The routes that still have F tend to be "status heavy" so boarding with Group 1 (which I would have regardless of class of travel) is a bit odd on e.g. a JFK where Group 1 could be 50+ people quite easily (GCH plus hangers-on). I think having 8 (and very rarely 14) extra passengers in F in Group 0 would still keep it very small - and GGLs still get the "recognition" of Group 0 on all the many short and long haul routes which don't have an F cabin.

I don't think GfL should be Group 0 - GfL is a reward in itself (no more TPs to count!) and that's just fine - you're still Gold, that's it (really...).

I struggle to see what practical benefit (really) is derived by GGLs from keeping F pax (i.e. 8-14 people max, on SOME long-haul routes) out of Group 0. It's not really a practical reason, is it...?

Frankly, I don't care that much as I tend to board late / whenever I want - I just think it's a bit odd to exclude F pax from Group 0 and I don't really see why anyone entitled to Group 0 otherwise would be hung up on it. By the same token, I couldn't care less that on short-haul CE board with Group 1 (along with GCHs)
bafan, gustavmahler and jaro like this.
Old May 1, 2024, 1:01 pm

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
I always understood the basic point of oneWorld emerald was to afford F priority to frequent flyers travelling in other classes, and of sapphire J priority to those travelling in a lower class.

I can understand why BA might want to extend pre boarding to a small group of its most valued customers (GGL and Prem). I think calling it Group 0 is a bit silly but hey-ho. I think this discussion of who to add to Group 0 is likely to lead to rampant group inflation, and when everybody has priority no one has priority!

Personally I suggest fixing the cabin baggage allowance vs space available issues and boarding would sort itself out (oh and commencing boarding in good time!)
2358 likes this.
Old May 1, 2024, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
I think that an F passenger should be permitted to board at their leisure, that is at any time, first or last, with any group. Imo, First is First and should be treated uniquely.
Old May 1, 2024, 1:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
I will never reach the lofty heights of GGL, although hope to get to GfL in 5-8 years as a retirement gift to myself!

I think Group 0 should be limited to GGL and Premiers on all 2 and 3 class services, it's not as if there will be loads of them so Group 1 will swiftly follow. However, I do agree with jerry a. laska that on 4 class services F passengers should be able to board whenever they want.
Old May 1, 2024, 1:44 pm

Programs: BA GfL, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
Group 0 should be kept exclusive IMHO so I would keep it as it currently is + let F board whenever they want. I guess I would add GfL (as I am one) only if there were perhaps an average of 3-4 of us on each flight to keep Group 0 small. TBH am quite happy with permanent Group 1 which serves its intended purpose most of the time.

Anyone have any idea of roughly how many GfL there are on average on an average flight ??

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.