Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR T5B Arrival - Use T5B Lounge b4 connecting at T5A?

Old Apr 24, 2024, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

So we have a flight JFK - IST, connecting in LHR. It appears likely that the JFK-LHR flight will park at the T5B Concourse. We have a 6 hour layover and were hoping to be able to use the T5B Lounge until we need to leave, then head to T5A. Is this something that is possible? Is there a way to take a lift to the Departures Level and get in from there? From what I can tell on the LHR interactive terminal map, it looks like at arrival we could head towards arrival Gate B45 and take the single lift by that gate up one level to Level 2-Departures and the walk around towards the West side of the terminal and grab the lifts there by BA Customer Service to get into the T5B Club Lounge. Is this possible or am I not understanding the layout or map correctly? Or if someone knows a different way, could you please share if you do? I know there is the trick of going down to Level -4 and taking the walkway from T5A to 5B or 5C. Is that what I need to do? Go down there, switch elevators and then go back up to Level-2? Any help or suggestion are very much appreciated.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 3:31 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Originally Posted by rev29k
So we have a flight JFK - IST, connecting in LHR. It appears likely that the JFK-LHR flight will park at the T5B Concourse. We have a 6 hour layover and were hoping to be able to use the T5B Lounge until we need to leave, then head to T5A. Is this something that is possible? Is there a way to take a lift to the Departures Level and get in from there? From what I can tell on the LHR interactive terminal map, it looks like at arrival we could head towards arrival Gate B45 and take the single lift by that gate up one level to Level 2-Departures and the walk around towards the West side of the terminal and grab the lifts there by BA Customer Service to get into the T5B Club Lounge. Is this possible or am I not understanding the layout or map correctly? Or if someone knows a different way, could you please share if you do? I know there is the trick of going down to Level -4 and taking the walkway from T5A to 5B or 5C. Is that what I need to do? Go down there, switch elevators and then go back up to Level-2? Any help or suggestion are very much appreciated.
I'm pretty sure arrival passengers are funnelled through T5A for either immigration or security. I don't think it is possible to get off the plane at a T5B gate and join general population.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 4:38 pm

Programs: Some more than others
All connecting passengers at LHR (except those arriving from a UK Domestic flight) must go through transfer security at the T5 Flight Connections Center in T5A before they have access to the departures area.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 4:10 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, SAS Eurobonus
Especially given you have loads of time, there is no problem heading back to T5B once back in Departures anyway. Just remember the -4 level walkway back to A afterwards (if that is where your second flight is departing).
Old Apr 27, 2024, 7:05 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

There is a flight connections facility inside of T5B which takes you through security then up into the departure lounge, thus avoiding the need to trundle to T5A and back again. If your IST flight isn’t listed on the transfer screen then you will probably face some resistance but it’s worth trying. The entrance to the connections area is barely off the beaten path to the train so you won’t lose much time if the answer is no.
Old Apr 27, 2024, 7:17 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC electrum
See this guide
LHR Terminal 5B Flight Connections - a pictorial guide - including T5B bus service
There is a connection from T5B to T5B/C or T2,3,4 but they aren't supposed to let you through it if you have a flight departing T5A
Markie likes this.

Last edited by DeathSlam; Apr 27, 2024 at 8:21 am
Old Apr 27, 2024, 7:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Mucci: Classe de la Luxe Eternelle
Originally Posted by SCChris
All connecting passengers at LHR (except those arriving from a UK Domestic flight) must go through transfer security at the T5 Flight Connections Center in T5A before they have access to the departures area.
Is this really correct? I thought T5B to T5B direct connections were a thing? For USA India in particular
Old Apr 27, 2024, 7:46 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by noFODplease
Is this really correct? I thought T5B to T5B direct connections were a thing? For USA India in particular
yes so there is a flight connections centre in T5B and generally you can use it when arriving in T5B/C and your onward flight is showing as departing from T5B/C. You cant use it though if you are connecting on to a flight to UK/DUB/JER even if it is showing departing from T5B.
Markie and noFODplease like this.
Old Apr 27, 2024, 8:14 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
the must go througb transit security, correct

There is also transit security in t5B and sometime t5C that some PA'X can use. So not everyone needs to use T5A
DeathSlam, seanp7 and KARFA like this.
Old Apr 27, 2024, 9:28 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I think the T5C one seems consistently closed post covid, with signs saying to go to B
Markie and DeathSlam like this.
Old Apr 27, 2024, 10:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by KARFA
I think the T5C one seems consistently closed post covid, with signs saying to go to B
not having been in 5c since covid now krk has moved to t3 i was unaware of that. Thank you for the info
Old Apr 27, 2024, 11:28 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
At the moment they are installing CT scanners into T5C. Goodness knows the logic.
Markie likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2024, 1:48 pm

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
Tomologic
Old Apr 27, 2024, 2:11 pm

Not entirely correct. There is flight connections security at T5B for T5B to T5B/T5C connections and flight connections security at T5C for T5C to T5C connections.
Old Apr 27, 2024, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
At the moment they are installing CT scanners into T5C. Goodness knows the logic.
Perhaps the floors were strong enough and they had the machines being delivered with nowhere to go

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.