Is this a data breach or a 'feature'?

Old Apr 23, 2024, 6:08 pm

Programs: BAEC, VS Flying Club
Originally Posted by ratechaser
Well on that last point, the bookies aren't taking bets any more

Just so I know we're comparing apples with apples here, do your bookings always include the others BAEC numbers from the start?

Anyway, Mrs RC was happy as expected, so this is certainly not an emotionally driven rant now, but at a minimum, I am very uneasy with the principle of BA handing out details of a booking I've paid for, to someone else that could play around with/mess up/totally balls up either through incompetence or malice.

Certainly something to consider if making a group booking for people you are not that closely connected to...
That “someone else” isn’t just a random stranger though. It’s a passenger and as such they should absolutely be able to “play around” with their own booking with the permission of everyone else on it - which in my experience they’ll be asked to confirm they have if they attempt to make changes in MMB.

Even if your wife hadn’t received an email, the fact you added her BAEC number means the booking will appear in her ‘My Bookings’ in the app and on the website so unless you were banking on her not checking, she could have easily seen it for herself.
KeaneJohn, DeathSlam and TTmex like this.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 10:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Anyway, Mrs RC was happy as expected, so this is certainly not an emotionally driven rant now, but at a minimum, I am very uneasy with the principle of BA handing out details of a booking I've paid for, to someone else that could play around with/mess up/totally balls up either through incompetence or malice.
The booking for her is her booking - she has every right to be able to access her booking
There is no data breach in telling a passenger that they have a booking
If she messes up the booking, that is not BA's problem

If BA randomly selected people to receive other people's booking information, that would be different - but I cannot consider why it would be thought that telling Mes RC about her booking breaches any data privacy
Old Apr 23, 2024, 11:40 pm

The BA Privacy Policy includes:

"even if you have opted-out of receiving marketing information from us, we may still send you communications about the services you have booked to use, such as your travel itinerary"

It's possible there's similar language in various other BA documents that you've agreed to (after carefully reading and reviewing with your attorney, no doubt).

Arguably if you give someone your EC number and they book you on a flight, that is reasonably construed as "services you have booked".

It's hard to see what BA did as a violation of the spirit of any privacy rules. But I can see how it could be considered undesirable customer service in rare scenarios such as this one. Perhaps they could have a checkbox that lets the booker decide whether to send confirmations to each additional passenger. But that could create problems -- for example, your wife wouldn't get notified of any last-minute changes or cancellations even after you'd told her about the trip, and would be reliant on you to keep her informed.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 11:49 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
I nearly had the same issue as the OP.

I made a BAH booking for my wife and I, and purposely left out her BAEC number as it is a surprise trip. (She knows when, just not where) I then upgraded the booking with a GUF by 'phone, and her BAEC number then mysteriously appeared in the booking. I hurredly emailed the GGL team to remove it, which they did. The agent also said she had removed my wife's email address, which had also been added. She also said she had had a surprise trip for her boyfriend and her ruined by similar BA IT fun and games. In my case, I was lucky to spot it before my wife did
Old Apr 24, 2024, 12:13 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Bit annoyed... just made a booking for me and Mrs RC, upgraded the flights and was going to make it a surprise. I'm lead booker and paid, but it seems that the email e-ticket receipt - with all details, went to her contact email as well as to me. Presumably because I added her EC number with her name in the initial booking. And no, my own profile isn't corrupted - all bookings I make just for me, are emailed only to me. So that's the surprise gone.
Did your OH get two e-ticket receipts or just one?

How did you do the upgrade? It sounds like you made a booking in ET and then subsequently went back in and upgraded to CE.

I think it was the upgrading that triggered issuing of the e-ticket receipt to all passengers in the booking.

This would seem reasonable to me on the basis that it is sensible for all passengers to travel with a copy of the e-ticket receipt associated to the booking, especially one that's been changed from one cabin to another.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 1:47 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by mrandery
(my bold)

I've been booking tickets for the family, all in the household account, I've never once seen an email go to the others in the booking.
Just booked one flight yesterday for all of us. Only I got the email. Same as always.

The others have their own email addresses in their profiles.

So, either BA IT is buggered or only the lead booker gets an email.
Or it is inconsistent as usual...
I know other HHA people in the booking I made got an email from BA in the past, but It's also possible that I'm counting higher by mixing together the times it happened with TK and ITA, where everyone involved receives a mail ticket by default if their FF number is put on the booking.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 4:39 am

Programs: BAEC, QRPC, Amex MR, World of Hyatt, IHG one rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, etc…
Originally Posted by Lefly
Or it is inconsistent as usual...
I know other HHA people in the booking I made got an email from BA in the past, but It's also possible that I'm counting higher by mixing together the times it happened with TK and ITA, where everyone involved receives a mail ticket by default if their FF number is put on the booking.

I used to regularly receive two emails for each of my family booking, never paid too much attention initially until after some time when I realised that A- each went to a different emails address but both consolidated on my iPhone “All Inboxes” section, and B- one was Addressed to Mr Surname, and the other to Master Surname. So one was for my Son, which since getting his own phone/iCloud account and email at secondary school, I have set up to receive directly those emails. So, in my experience, each member of the household account listed on a booking gets a separate email confirmation of the same booking
Lefly likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 5:33 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite & Lifetime Gold, Heathrow Rewards Premium, Tesco Clubcard
Originally Posted by seattlebruce
The BA Privacy Policy includes:

"even if you have opted-out of receiving marketing information from us, we may still send you communications about the services you have booked to use, such as your travel itinerary"

It's possible there's similar language in various other BA documents that you've agreed to (after carefully reading and reviewing with your attorney, no doubt).

Arguably if you give someone your EC number and they book you on a flight, that is reasonably construed as "services you have booked".

It's hard to see what BA did as a violation of the spirit of any privacy rules. But I can see how it could be considered undesirable customer service in rare scenarios such as this one. Perhaps they could have a checkbox that lets the booker decide whether to send confirmations to each additional passenger. But that could create problems -- for example, your wife wouldn't get notified of any last-minute changes or cancellations even after you'd told her about the trip, and would be reliant on you to keep her informed.
Correct, BA are perfectly fine to send service-related emails where a customer has an account with themselves.

Marketing emails would be covered under the Privacy & Electronic Communications Regulations (PECR), but this is not marketing.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 8:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Elite Ambassador
This is one of the reasons why, when doing a group booking through my employer, either BA or our travel agent makes sure we get separate PNRs.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 4:52 pm

In some BA systems, the primary passenger is the one whose (first) name comes first alphabetically. No one ever said their IT policies made sense.
Lefly likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.