Cabin bags - approach for row 1

Old Apr 23, 2024, 9:29 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Splotly
Any tips for the best thing to do if the row 1 overheads are already full by the time you board (for CE row 1)?

Best to plonk them in the middle seat and ask the crew to help once the boarding is done?

Best to walk down and stow them a few rows back and then hope someone throws them back to you when its time to leave?

Board first and grab the space - obviously!

and are the Danish planes weve borrowed any different for the overhead space in row 1?
Row 2 or use your Group 0 to your advantage
Old Jul 2, 2024, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA, Delta
Hello FT,
I'm flying in Nov RT from LHR to FCO in CE on an A320. Will the Row 1 overhead bins be fully available or does the flight crew use them or is equipment stored there? I'd like to sit in row 1 and will have a backpack to store. Thanks.
Old Jul 3, 2024, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by Splotly
Any tips for the best thing to do if the row 1 overheads are already full by the time you board (for CE row 1)?
In my experience in CE, crew will step in and help row 1 passengers. I saw a lady in 1A board almost last and there was literally nowhere to put any of her three bags. Crew stored her tote in their cupboard, they managed to squeeze her handbag temporarily above row 2, but her suitcase was a little more problematic - crew ended up rearranging and that mostly involved taking people's coats out of the lockers in rows 2 & 3 and then handing them to the passengers to hang on the hooks on their seats.

I will point out that one crew member did tell her "this is what happens when you board last!".
Old Jul 3, 2024, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by LAsportsfan
Hello FT,
I'm flying in Nov RT from LHR to FCO in CE on an A320. Will the Row 1 overhead bins be fully available or does the flight crew use them or is equipment stored there? I'd like to sit in row 1 and will have a backpack to store. Thanks.
If you have a large backpack, just get on first and put it above row 2 - I do that every time i'm in row 1 with my cabin bag. No-one in row 2 has ever complained.
Old Jul 3, 2024, 1:00 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I wouldnt sweat it, youll stow your bag somewhere and youll get off the plane with it soon after landing. If youre concerned, join the group 1 queue early and board early. Crew bags seem less prevalent these days, there are sometimes lockers with equipment in. Theres often a half locker front left which starts up closed and is ideal for a backpack.

I echo the advice that travelling light and squishy is very helpful, but it really does depend on what kind of trip youre doing.
Old Jul 3, 2024, 1:20 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by chriswiles
In my experience in CE, crew will step in and help row 1 passengers. I saw a lady in 1A board almost last and there was literally nowhere to put any of her three bags. Crew stored her tote in their cupboard, they managed to squeeze her handbag temporarily above row 2, but her suitcase was a little more problematic - crew ended up rearranging and that mostly involved taking people's coats out of the lockers in rows 2 & 3 and then handing them to the passengers to hang on the hooks on their seats.

I will point out that one crew member did tell her "this is what happens when you board last!".
Sounds like they should also have been reprimanding her for bringing three pieces of hand luggage onboard. There is clearly a lot of irony here in those who find they cant store all their hand luggage but also dont seem capable of observing the limit
flygirl68, gw76, KARFA and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 3, 2024, 2:40 pm

Programs: BA Silver
BA could get their finger out and stick reserved for row 1 & 2 stickers on the first overhead lockers.

Ive seen this on LH/EZY and it works well.
Old Jul 3, 2024, 2:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines
Originally Posted by RockyRobin
However once the queue is moving its nigh on impossible to swim up water?
You could always try crowd-surfing back to your bag!
Old Jul 3, 2024, 3:13 pm

if they just enforced small bags and jackets out of lockers very few would have problems. What came of the yellow tag idea pre covid? and of course those with more than they should but dont care #NoShame
Old Jul 3, 2024, 3:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Sounds like they should also have been reprimanding her for bringing three pieces of hand luggage onboard. There is clearly a lot of irony here in those who find they can’t store all their hand luggage but also don’t seem capable of observing the limit…
This reminds me of a flight back from Gothenburg a couple of years ago. I'd managed to nab 1A last minute, and the chap quite literally last to board was in 1C. He had a spinner carry-on, a big laptop bag and a suit carrier - and a massive coat. The crew were very helpful and managed to find space for all of it (even though over the permitted), including putting the suit carrier in the little wardrobe thing at the front.

And yet he completely objected to his things being put where there was space, and said at one point 'I don't expect when I book business class to have my possessions scattered around'. And one of the crew very quickly said 'indeed, sir, and it usually helps if business class passengers board first as per your group, so you can keep your items together.' He then sulked for the rest of the flight and spent the entire time with his foot up against the bulkhead like a teenager on a bus.
DeathSlam likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2024, 4:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by BERbound
BA could get their finger out and stick reserved for row 1 & 2 stickers on the first overhead lockers.

Ive seen this on LH/EZY and it works well.
Yes they could easily do that on the first 3-4 rows although on most of the Gatwick fleet the lockers above rows 1&2 are full of equipment making the problem much worse.

Crew seem to be more consistently closing the CE lockers before boarding these days, which helps. At least Ive seen that on quite a few recent flights.

In general though my approach to hand luggage in row 1 is board early.
Old Jul 3, 2024, 6:23 pm

Programs: BAEC
I quite enjoyed watching a member of TAP crew remove a large wheelie that an economy passenger dumped above row 2 and follow him down the aisle with it. I wish BA would be as vigilant.
Old Jul 3, 2024, 8:17 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Elite,Star Alliance
They really don't
Old Jul 4, 2024, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Sounds like they should also have been reprimanding her for bringing three pieces of hand luggage onboard.
We've been there, we've had that discussion many times. We all know you can bring on a cabin bag, your own personal bag (handbag) and some kind of carrier/tote which you might have bought in duty free. I do this all the time myself - cabin bag, laptop bag and I nearly always have a tote I bought from Orlebar Brown in T5.

That's a) all within the rules (please actually read them before making such a comment) and b) shouldn't have been 'liked' as much as it was. And totally distracts from the OP's point.
Old Jul 4, 2024, 1:00 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by chriswiles
We've been there, we've had that discussion many times. We all know you can bring on a cabin bag, your own personal bag (handbag) and some kind of carrier/tote which you might have bought in duty free. I do this all the time myself - cabin bag, laptop bag and I nearly always have a tote I bought from Orlebar Brown in T5.

That's a) all within the rules (please actually read them before making such a comment) and b) shouldn't have been 'liked' as much as it was. And totally distracts from the OP's point.
would you mind quoting the rules? other than specifically exempt items (e.g. cpap) I was under the impression it was 2 carry bags max.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.