Cabin bags - approach for row 1

Old Apr 22, 2024, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by c1223
I just do some rearranging and put someone else's bag a few rows back. The overhead lockers above my row belong to me.
They don't actually.

You also wouldn't be placing my luggage a 'few rows back;.
bafan, the810, Keystone and 10 others like this.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 12:32 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC electrum
If you can't put your bags above your own row, I have found that other passengers are generally pretty helpful in retreiving bags a couple of rows back during the period everyone is stood up but no-one is moving.
"Excuse me, could you possibly grab that bag there that looks like this? Brilliant thanks a lot." Say it in a clear and friendly manner, targetting someone who is apparently able bodied and appropriately placed who doesn't seem to be actively doing their own retrieval. Refusal is quite hard as there are a lot of people listening.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Splotly
Any tips for the best thing to do if the row 1 overheads are already full by the time you board (for CE row 1)?
Crew can and will help. Sometimes they'll store a small bag up-front (wardrobe), other times they might remove some of their items they put above row 1 and, more rare, they'll re-arrange other bags to make room.

One thing I notice in CE is a lot of people fill space with their jackets, so often crew will remove these first and hand them back to the owner or fold it up and put it above their case.
flyingmonkie likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 12:43 pm

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chriswiles
One thing I notice in CE is a lot of people fill space with their jackets, so often crew will remove these first and hand them back to the owner or fold it up and put it above their case.
This. I find that some people just dump their bags and coats in the overhead bins especially in CE like its their private jet. Very annoying to watch and infuriating if you cannot find space due to this issue.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 1:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
I was crew for 12+ years and now a BAEC gold, so I generally get row 1 allocated.

What I did - and what worked rather well - was closing the first locker on each side of any front/exit row so that those lockers could accommodate the bags that are legally not allowed to go on the floor/under the seat in front.

It made our lives easier as crew so that we don't have to battle with bags in a full aircraft aisle or retrieve bags on landing.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 5:00 am

I think that the statement from c1223 about the overhead locker belonging to them is a hook to create the type of responses he/she is getting -
I don't believe it is a genuine belief but a bit of fun.
seanp7, cjb666, Scots_Al and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 5:16 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I just do some rearranging and put someone else's bag a few rows back. The overhead lockers above my row belong to me.
Of course you acknowledge if someone with higher status shows up, they would be allowed to remove your bag in order to place theirs in the bin?

I mean, we are all equal, but some of us .
Lynyrd, cjb666, nancypants and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 5:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
c1223 jests of course (well, I assume they are ), but I have watched someone try and do that to my bag before. Never ceased to be amazed by the front of some people.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 5:22 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by chriswiles
I had a bunch of my ex-LHR flights cancelled during that chaotic summer of 2022, and was rerouted through LCY. The BACF crew were very proactive about moving items (including smaller backpacks) and forcing passengers to put them underneath the seat in front. I've never really seen the same approach on mainline BA.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 5:33 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
I certainly wouldn't advise doing that on a Glasgow or Belfast flight
MaxFlyer, cjb666, KARFA and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 5:34 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Lucanesque
c1223 jests of course (well, I assume they are ), but I have watched someone try and do that to my bag before. Never ceased to be amazed by the front of some people.
I have less concern over rearranging but I do have beef with those loathsome individuals who try to ram their bag into a space which is clearly too small for it. It is really suboptimal when a freshly liberated packet of sweet chilli Tyrrells - left in ones soft bag for later in the flight - gets crushed to crumbs by some idiot trying to shove their bottles of duty free into the overhead.
Lucanesque likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 5:57 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by Lucanesque
Someone understands me...! I guess it's hard to convey sarcasm over the Internet. I wouldn't dare to touch anyone else's bag except for rearranging those in the space saver overheads where the owner hasn't been able to understand the pretty picture or use some spatial awareness to put their bag in the most efficient way.
MaxFlyer, cjb666, PAL62V and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 6:33 am

Programs: BAEC "I'm blue Da ba dee da ba di", Skywards Blue, Miles & More (very passive)
Can someone run the numbers for overhead compartment ownership per IAG share?
PAL62V and Fitruss like this.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Midships
I have never experienced any issue having folk move out of my way when moving in the opposite direction to disembarkation to pick up a bah.
Don't forget your humbug!
Old Apr 23, 2024, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Don't forget your humbug!
or should that be hum bag?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.