Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Amex (UK) | 2024 changes to fee and voucher spend requirement

BA Amex (UK) | 2024 changes to fee and voucher spend requirement

Old Apr 10, 2024, 12:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Arrow BA Amex (UK) | 2024 changes to fee and voucher spend requirement

BAPP fee increasing to 300 from today. And the spend required to trigger the voucher is now 15,000 for new applicants.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 12:24 am

Originally Posted by ringingup
BAPP fee increasing to 300 from today. And the spend required to trigger the voucher is now 15,000 for new applicants.
A write-up at Head for Points here.

As someone who currently doesnt have the card, but was thinking of returning, this feels like quite a steep increase in both fee and spend requirements - almost doing it because they can. Unless youre swimming in Avios, it definitely makes it harder for me to justify rejoining.
DaveS likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 12:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by squawk
A write-up at Head for Points here.

As someone who currently doesnt have the card, but was thinking of returning, this feels like quite a steep increase in both fee and spend requirements - almost doing it because they can. Unless youre swimming in Avios, it definitely makes it harder for me to justify rejoining.
Same exact position here. Both my partner and I cancelled, waiting for 2 years before reapplying. This is difficult to digest.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 1:20 am

Programs: BA Gold; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines
This announced double-whammy (annual fee and annual spend increases) makes uncomfortable reading. For a lot of BAPP card holders it will be spend, spend, spend before 1 November when the 15k trigger kicks in. No more putting the card in the drawer.

I hope that Barclaycard do not follow suit with increases.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 2:46 am

Well my dashboard still has a deadline for 2-4-1 voucher of 4 November. (which I will unfortunately comfortably make!). Bit harsh to be changing the goal posts within the current earning year. At least give 12 months notice (as BA have with threshold changes).
Personally, given less travel for work/reimbursement for personal CC spend, plus the number of major outgoings (energy bills etc) who don't take Amex, 15k might be a bit steep. Amex need to work much harder on broadening their acceptance if they are increasing spend thresholds.
jonkx likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 2:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
With the cost of the associated taxes I doubt it's worth it. I wish AA maintained the UK earning CC.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 2:58 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nivsy
With the cost of the associated taxes I doubt it's worth it. I wish AA maintained the UK earning CC.
depends what you are booking. i would agree long haul with BA in J/F is no longer of much value, but have a look at long haul with IB or EI. 194 taxes/fess/charges per person for MAD-SCL rtn in J for example.
higham44 likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 2:59 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
I suspect this might be a way for BA/Amex to cover the cost of the Tier Points offer. Silver lining might be that they continue.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Having flown back from Sydney on Monday for 160k plus 700 plus voucher for two - I say it is still great when used well. Not for jaunts to NYC etc
Old Apr 10, 2024, 3:07 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
I mostly agree with the comments on the HfP post. The card has always had a 10k spend requirement, yet 10k in 2004 when it was introduced is worth about 19k today, so I do get the justification for the increase in spend threshold. The fee increase is harder to justify, as it has already had a recent increase in the annual fee from 195, and both coming together does feel like a big hit.

But the changes to account for inflation are only going one way, if we're paying a higher fee and having to spend more to get a voucher, so too should we be getting a higher earn rate, 2/ would be more appropriate now, though I doubt Amex will do this. If they see droves of people cancelling I'm sure they'll rethink, but frankly I don't think they expect that to happen, and they're probably right.

I suppose the other thing which could offset the increase in fee is if there are more opportunities to earn TPs going forwards. Though (and I'm no expert) I would have thought that from a PR perspective it would make sense to announce those new enhancements first, then have a really amazing offering with the current fees for a few months, and then announce the increase in fee to offset it. That way you can justify the increase more easily, and you also get a wave of subscriptions when the enhancements come, but while some will cancel when the fees go up, most of them won't. So if my reasoning is correct, maybe we won't see enchancements like this coming, hence why they've chosen to do this now.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 3:15 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC electrum
Originally Posted by GBOAC
Bit harsh to be changing the goal posts within the current earning year. At least give 12 months notice (as BA have with threshold changes).
It's more than a bit harsh. I think anyone exceeding 10k by their original date but not getting to 15k by November has a very good case for having their fee refunded as they didn't get what they paid for.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
The TP thing is just a trial (and, as many have seen, the IT is not working as it should and needs serious work).

My feeling is that BA and Amex will look at the feedback and work it in to the new BA tier point scheme, whatever that looks like.

Having both vouchers trigger at 15k is possibly part of this because it will allow for a standardised structure - 15k for a voucher and then xxx tier points / credit towards tier status at 20k. 25k, 30k etc.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 3:47 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
I think the voucher is useful still in some circumstances.
I will be booking a J return for 2 of us to SYD in the coming days at around 750 per person, plus Avios.
It's not possible to get an economy return for the same dates at that kind of money, especially when one considers that the ticket is also pretty much fully flexible.

Agree that having to blow another voucher on a trip to Santorini was slightly less good value.
Grande Annee likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 3:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
I think the voucher is useful still in some circumstances.
I will be booking a J return for 2 of us to SYD in the coming days at around 750 per person, plus Avios.
It's not possible to get an economy return for the same dates at that kind of money, especially when one considers that the ticket is also pretty much fully flexible.

Agree that having to blow another voucher on a trip to Santorini was slightly less good value.
I like your confidence in actually being able to secure the J class for two to SYD and back!!
Old Apr 10, 2024, 4:10 am

Many, many comments over on HfP. I've not sure I've seen so many. I personally downgraded from the PP to the Basic card when they got rid of the fee waiver for existing Plat/Gold charge card holders.

I think this could be a very interesting opening for JPMC to finally enter the UK market, as has been rumoured for sometime. I'm sure a UK version of the Sapphire Reserve could be some very interesting competition for Amex.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.