Overnight JFK layover - Advice

Old Apr 8, 2024, 3:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Flying Blue, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plantinum Elite
Overnight JFK layover - Advice

Hi,

First of all apologies if this has been covered in the past, I was unable to find any previous threads, but if they exist I'm more than happy to be directed there.

I am due to fly on BA183 LHR - JFK this July in J arriving into T8 at 21:55. I connect to PUJ on AA2443 out of T8 at 07:04 the following morning for a wedding. I'm looking for some advice/options available to me for the overnighter in JFK.

- Can I recheck my bags and clear security again at that time and pass the hours in T8? If this is possible, would I be able to access the lounges until closing time and then pass a few hours until they reopen?
- Can I recheck my bags at that time and head for TWA to pass some time (contemplating booking a room for a short few hours sleep but undecided, input here appreciated).
- If booking a room or heading to TWA for a few hours to hang out maybe it's best to just hold onto my bags for a few hours?
- I have friends in NYC so considering an Uber to meet them for a few hours somewhere, either at their apartment or at a bar but if doing this I'll want to have either rechecked my bags or store my luggage somewhere.

Any feedback from anyone with past experience of this or any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 8, 2024, 4:00 am

Programs: BA Gold
It depends on when the wedding is
you do need rest before that party
If you change to AA ex Dub,because theres pre clearance there,your bags will go automatically to your final destination,no need to collect them and no cbp queue when you land,straight out to arrivals

Id go straight to the cheapest airport hotel,and kip for the maximum amount of time
Have a hot whiskey with a lemon and bit of sugar at the bar before you head to bed
PUCCI GALORE, lars747 and becks1 like this.
Old Apr 8, 2024, 4:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Earthman
It depends on when the wedding is
you do need rest before that party
If you change to AA ex Dub,because theres pre clearance there,your bags will go automatically to your final destination,no need to collect them and no cbp queue when you land,straight out to arrivals

Id go straight to the cheapest airport hotel,and kip for the maximum amount of time
Have a hot whiskey with a lemon and bit of sugar at the bar before you head to bed
Thanks Earthman, my route currently is DUB-LHR-JFK-PUJ. I booked it this way as my travel has been less frequent lately and I'm yet to try out BA club suites and in part due to a fairly poor experience TATL in business with AA recently, but for convenience I may look at the ex-Dub AA route as you suggested. I'm in Punta Cana for a week, and I will have a few days to chill in the resort before the wedding when I arrive so that part isn't a huge concern.
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2024, 6:09 am

Programs: BAEC, VS Flying Club
As nice as they are, Club Suites really arent worth the dubious pleasure of 5-6 hours max in a hotel or 4 hours in T8 departures (lounges are closed 0030-0430, if TSA even let you through with a next day boarding pass).

Fun as it is to plan and good as it looks on paper, I fear youd regret booking this itinerary on the day!
Old Apr 8, 2024, 6:25 am
Formerly known as tireman77

As a fan of convoluted multi-stop itineraries to try different hard products and lounges, I understand your choice. Is there a way to leave earlier and land at JFK mid-afternoon? You could likely then drop of you bags at the connections belt and have time to visit friends and a good nights sleep in a hotel.
LCSinTexas and becks1 like this.
Old Apr 8, 2024, 6:33 am

Programs: BA GGL
I'd suggest having a nap in the terminal and then going to the lounge at 4:30am when it opens. No point in wasting money for what will probably end up being less than 6hrs asleep in an overpriced hotel.

You should be able to drop your bags on arrival on JFK as your next flight is within 12hrs.
Old Apr 8, 2024, 7:32 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by c1223
I'd suggest having a nap in the terminal and then going to the lounge at 4:30am when it opens. No point in wasting money for what will probably end up being less than 6hrs asleep in an overpriced hotel.

You should be able to drop your bags on arrival on JFK as your next flight is within 12hrs.
I was under the impression one could ask luggage to be checked through if connection is <24 hours. One still needs to pick up after immigration at JFK but if luggage tag includes PUJ flight one can simply drop off the bag on the connecting flights belt (assuming connections are open at that hour).
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2024, 8:13 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by PLeblond
I was under the impression one could ask luggage to be checked through if connection is <24 hours. One still needs to pick up after immigration at JFK but if luggage tag includes PUJ flight one can simply drop off the bag on the connecting flights belt (assuming connections are open at that hour).
Sorry, that's what I meant to imply. Pick up and drop again after customs, rather than "check-in" on arrival.
roberto99 likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2024, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GumshoeW12
As nice as they are, Club Suites really arent worth the dubious pleasure of 5-6 hours max in a hotel or 4 hours in T8 departures (lounges are closed 0030-0430, if TSA even let you through with a next day boarding pass).

Fun as it is to plan and good as it looks on paper, I fear youd regret booking this itinerary on the day!
You could be right!! Yeah, I was wondering if TSA do let next day connection passengers through. Thanks for your response.

Originally Posted by PLeblond
As a fan of convoluted multi-stop itineraries to try different hard products and lounges, I understand your choice. Is there a way to leave earlier and land at JFK mid-afternoon? You could likely then drop of you bags at the connections belt and have time to visit friends and a good nights sleep in a hotel.
Yeah, I'm a fan of this exactly. There are earlier options I chose this one to minimize the overnight time, that was before I found out friends were going to be available that week, so knowing that now an earlier flight is also an option, and maybe more straight forward with checking baggage through as you suggest, so thanks for that. I guess I'm trying to weigh this up versus how things might play out if I make no changes to my original booking.

Originally Posted by c1223

Yeah, I was considering booking TWA hotel in T5 for a few hours but not sure if it's worth it, maybe I'll just visit to pass sometime although I don't know how much will be going on there at that hour of the night.
Old Apr 8, 2024, 8:32 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I've done the overnight things at JFK a couple of times. Whilst it's survivable, it depends on the person really.
Not sure how safe bags with you would be if you dozed off, but you wouldn't be the only one sitting around / sleeping.

Most hotels around JFK seem to be in the 200 area, so something I wouldn't fork out for for a few hour stay.
That said, when the Crowne Plaza was open, I did blow something like 20k points on that one time. Got there after 11pm, on a shuttle bus at 4:30am. Didn't really sleep, but a shower was nice.
TSA-PRE opens around 5am.

Nothing apart from the TWA are that accessible, and that routinely hits 250+ a night.
The CP shuttle bus used to be on call every 1/2 an hour, so if you arrived at 9:55pm, it would be 10:30-11pm at the earliest, even with Global Entry that is 50-50 there, and an AirTrain ride to Federal Circle before you could even get to a hotel (unless you forked out for a cab?).

Not sure what's open these days. Was told Dunkin' in T5 was open 24hrs, but that was closed last time I overnighted. Some diner in T2? was open though, but nothing else
Old Apr 8, 2024, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xenole
I've done the overnight things at JFK a couple of times. Whilst it's survivable, it depends on the person really.
Not sure how safe bags with you would be if you dozed off, but you wouldn't be the only one sitting around / sleeping.

Most hotels around JFK seem to be in the 200 area, so something I wouldn't fork out for for a few hour stay.
That said, when the Crowne Plaza was open, I did blow something like 20k points on that one time. Got there after 11pm, on a shuttle bus at 4:30am. Didn't really sleep, but a shower was nice.
TSA-PRE opens around 5am.

Nothing apart from the TWA are that accessible, and that routinely hits 250+ a night.
The CP shuttle bus used to be on call every 1/2 an hour, so if you arrived at 9:55pm, it would be 10:30-11pm at the earliest, even with Global Entry that is 50-50 there, and an AirTrain ride to Federal Circle before you could even get to a hotel (unless you forked out for a cab?).

Not sure what's open these days. Was told Dunkin' in T5 was open 24hrs, but that was closed last time I overnighted. Some diner in T2? was open though, but nothing else
Thanks Xenole, were you able to drop bags for connecting flight prior to killing a few hours or were you travelling with hand luggage only? If I don't opt to change anything to my original booking I'm sure I'll manage but other responses to this have made me contemplate a change. The hotel situation around JFK does seem pricey for a few hours which is why I had really only looked at TWA for convenience. I do have Hilton Honors and Marriot Bonvoy points that I could use but again by the time I arrive at either I'm not sure it's worth it.

Are Dunkin/the diner you mentioned in departures? Would I be able to clear security in those terminals with a boarding pass for T8 and if so, is it possible to transit between terminal departures or would I need to return to T8 and clear security again (assuming bags have been dropped at this point).
Old Apr 8, 2024, 9:12 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Dunkin was in departures in the JetBlue area. (seems to shut at maybe 9pm these days)

I had hand baggage (trolley case etc.), but it's something to carry around should you need the toilet for example.

I assume a T8 BP would be solely for T8.
No idea if they would let you airside overnight.

Easy to transit landside between terminals on the AirTrain, but if building works are still ongoing, there may be buses?
Can't transit airside as far as I'm aware.

I suppose at the end of the day it depends on how much money you have to spend. Plenty here would upgrade for say 550 from PE to CW for a 5h55 BOS-LHR flight to get a potential 4hrs "sleep" in a flat bed.
Old Apr 8, 2024, 9:14 am

If you do decide to have a nap at the airport…The New York airports are rife with pick pockets and thiefs over night…
Old Apr 8, 2024, 9:17 am

Programs: BAEC
You cant transit between terminals airside and you cant stay airside at T8 overnight. You should be able to recheck your bag after clearing customs assuming this is on one ticket.

I would advise getting a hotel room and ideally arriving into JFK on an earlier flight. You may have a good tolerance for zero proper sleep but personally Id value 4-5h of restful sleep over bouncing around an airport in the wee hours.
M60_to_LGA likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2024, 9:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
When I've done something similar in JFK I just took the metro and went into town and spent some hours there and than back to JFK. I had no desire to stay at the airport landside as it's really not nice. other than that there are some hotel options but almost all is a pain to get there and back unless you pay for the taxi which is super expensive. TWA hotel could be a cool option but its about $340+tax per night so not cheap.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.