Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Cabin crew not easily visible during safety demo

Old Apr 3, 2024, 3:05 am
Original Poster

On a recent old style CW trip in a Gatwick based B777-200 I was seated in 4K (rearwards facing). During the safety demo when it got the bit where the crew members point out emergency lighting and the nearest exit etc I realised that there was no crew member on my side of the aircraft. So I leaned forward and could just see a pair of hands on the other aisle waving around, and turning round completely there was someone on my aisle at the front.

Question - should there have been a visible crew member in the J/K aisle at the rear of the cabin or is it the responsibility of the passenger to make a concerted effort to lean forward/twist rather than sitting normally quaffing bubbles?
Old Apr 3, 2024, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by EGLK FLYER
On a recent old style CW trip in a Gatwick based B777-200 I was seated in 4K (rearwards facing). During the safety demo when it got the bit where the crew members point out emergency lighting and the nearest exit etc I realised that there was no crew member on my side of the aircraft. So I leaned forward and could just see a pair of hands on the other aisle waving around, and turning round completely there was someone on my aisle at the front.

Question - should there have been a visible crew member in the J/K aisle at the rear of the cabin or is it the responsibility of the passenger to make a concerted effort to lean forward/twist rather than sitting normally quaffing bubbles?

Assuming this was the 77s type with 4 rows of Club World this was correct

one Crew member rearward facing on on row 1 by JK seats one Crew member forward facing at row 4 by AB seats so itís 2 Crew for the safety demo on this aircraft type
Old Apr 3, 2024, 3:43 am

Does anyone really care about safety demonstrations? I donít and generally ignore them and my perception is that most other people do too. Some are so irritating I put my finger on my ears and hum, not too loudly to disturb those around me I hope.

Has any real research been done showing the demonstration to be effective? Probably very difficult to do but I suspect not. Doing it is another matter; what fun if we all had to practice opening doors and sliding down before each flight, but only the crew will presumably have done that in their training.
bafan and SxMan like this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 3:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I make sure I know where the nearest exits are and then tune out. The demonstrations are long-winded and tedious, and could be half as long and still impart the same information.
SxMan likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
You would be surprised how many people watch carefully and even take out the safety card, in my opinion it’s very important but continue to ignore if you wish.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 3:54 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Greenpen
Has any real research been done showing the demonstration to be effective?
Yes, the 1985 Manchester British Airtours disaster has indicated that some died when they shouldn't have done so, some survived when the circumstances were against them. There is circumstantial evidence that those who listened to the safety briefing were more likely to survive. More generally, from organisations like Solenis, 3M, Caterpillar, Raytheon - these are companies where repetition and reinforcement of safety messages make them safer companies to work for, and do business with, compared to their competitors. Incidentally, it's not just about you: you may feel able to make informed judgements about risk, but if you make a mistake about that, your friends, family, acquaintances are the ones who suffer. You may also have a role to play in helping others in an emergency, being injured yourself isn't a good start point.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 3:55 am

Programs: BAEC
I used to think I was a cool experienced flyer and make a point of ignoring the briefings. But when I was about 15 I had a pilot sitting next to me (so clearly someone who had flown a bit more than me) and he listened and paid attention to the whole thing. Made me think it might be a good idea to do the same. So yes, I pay attention and take out my ear buds.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 4:06 am

Programs: BA Gold
Does anyone really care about safety demonstrations? I donít and generally ignore them and my perception is that most other people do too. Some are so irritating I put my finger on my ears and hum, not too loudly to disturb those around me I hope.
I take the view that the crew are unlikely to be doing this purely for their own entertainment, so there must be some benefit to passengers in listening to the information given. Yes, I fly often enough that I can recite much of it from memory, but it seems like a good idea just to quickly remind yourself "not a car seatbelt", "it's X rows to an exit", on the incredibly slight chance that information becomes valuable.

I do find the manual safety demonstrations on short haul both easier to follow and harder to ignore than the long haul video.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 4:10 am

Programs: LH *G (SEN), VS Silver, BA Silver, Goldpointplus Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor silver, *ACP
Does anyone really care about safety demonstrations? I don’t and generally ignore them and my perception is that most other people do too. Some are so irritating I put my finger on my ears and hum, not too loudly to disturb those around me I hope.
As someone who has been in 3 fires (1 hotel, 1 house, 1 university residence), I may not listen to every word of the aircraft safety demo, but I ALWAYS make sure I know where the exits are on a plane and in any big building I go into... I egressed from the hotel fire in about 15 seconds, many other people took 5-10 minutes to get out (noone was hurt).
Old Apr 3, 2024, 4:25 am

As CWS says .. I knew someone aboard the Manchester disaster , happily she got out and survived

Ever since when flying I always take note and listen , taking particular note of the nearest and indeed the 2nd nearest exits, as much out of respect for the crew and my fellow passengers as my own safety

Iím particularly attentive if Iím flying with an airline , aircraft or in a cabin class Iím less familiar with .. or indeed when English isnít the first language of the majority on board ( my own language skills are sadly appalling ) ..on the understanding that communication and responsive behaviours involving a large spread of different nationalities is likely to cover a very wide spectrum in an emergency situation

Last edited by Boothen; Apr 3, 2024 at 4:26 am Reason: Typo
Old Apr 3, 2024, 4:28 am

Two papers on the tradition and current safety brief;
https://www.caa.co.uk/Documents/Download/10717/eff2f735-de31-4f76-9d0a-8ca9c8543d00/41

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0969699717305197

And one on a potential future;
https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...68090X17302802
Old Apr 3, 2024, 5:15 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Actually I would go a bit further and say that I find it disrespectful not to follow along with what is being said and demonstrated by the crew. Surprising though it may be to some, but the safety demo is not for the crew's safety nor to pass the time; it is there for the passengers. How many times have I heard people chattering whilst the safety demo was taking place. I can understand it slightly when they are not English speakers. How often have I seen rows of newspapers n the old days . I am aware that some have the attention span of a cricket. This was why I found that those tedious safety demos with those Luvvies were far too long - particularly to non-British people who had not a clue who these people were. I even preferred the Turkish safety demo of the time with the Lego characters. I still have memories of those people taking the hand luggage with them when that aircraft caught fire at LAS. Whether this was panic mode behaviour or had these people not heard the instruction in the safety briefing that had been shown within the last 15 minutes; no one can be sure.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 5:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT

Has any real research been done showing the demonstration to be effective? Probably very difficult to do but I suspect not. Doing it is another matter; what fun if we all had to practice opening doors and sliding down before each flight, but only the crew will presumably have done that in their training.
wowÖ
Old Apr 3, 2024, 5:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Actually I would go a bit further and say that I find it disrespectful not to follow along with what is being said and demonstrated by the crew. .
Indeed.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 5:51 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by RichieMc
I used to think I was a cool experienced flyer and make a point of ignoring the briefings. But when I was about 15 I had a pilot sitting next to me (so clearly someone who had flown a bit more than me) and he listened and paid attention to the whole thing. Made me think it might be a good idea to do the same. So yes, I pay attention and take out my ear buds.
Funny you should say this. I, not that long ago, saw a pilot as passenger (no idea if he was a BA pilot or another carrier/ or corporate- but he was in unform so clearly idenifiable as a pilot) completely ignore the briefing and I remember thinking to myself that it might have been better if he had watched it, just for the impact that it might have had on other pasengers (those that could be bothered to look up).

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Actually I would go a bit further and say that I find it disrespectful not to follow along with what is being said and demonstrated by the crew. Surprising though it may be to some, but the safety demo is not for the crew's safety nor to pass the time; it is there for the passengers. How many times have I heard people chattering whilst the safety demo was taking place. I can understand it slightly when they are not English speakers. How often have I seen rows of newspapers n the old days . I am aware that some have the attention span of a cricket. This was why I found that those tedious safety demos with those Luvvies were far too long - particularly to non-British people who had not a clue who these people were. I even preferred the Turkish safety demo of the time with the Lego characters. I still have memories of those people taking the hand luggage with them when that aircraft caught fire at LAS. Whether this was panic mode behaviour or had these people not heard the instruction in the safety briefing that had been shown within the last 15 minutes; no one can be sure.
Agree totally, but like everything else these days courtesy is very much an optional extra. I always watch the briefing because repetition means that it is ingrained, which might make the difference in a life or death situation where seconds count, and because it's courteous to the crew (who usually request your attention).

People that don't pay attention often excuse it on the basis that they wouldn't remember it anyway or that they know it all- both very misguided in my opinion.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.