Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Cabin crew not easily visible during safety demo

Cabin crew not easily visible during safety demo

Old Apr 3, 2024, 8:49 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Also remembered this incident from 2018 and some passengers clearly weren't paying attention to the safety demo when a Southwest Airlines airplane suffered a major engine failure during a flight.

Engine shrapnel pierced the airplane's fuselage, blew out a window, and caused the cabin to depressurize. One passenger died.

Some passengers wore their oxygen masks incorrectly during the emergency landing,

https://www.businessinsider.com/sout...rn-1380-2018-4
Old Apr 3, 2024, 9:45 am

Programs: BAEC blue dust
There's 2 things I always count: the number of rows to the exit on a plane, and how many steps and doors from my room to the emergency exit in a hotel
Old Apr 3, 2024, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flier74
Assuming this was the 77s type with 4 rows of Club World this was correct

one Crew member rearward facing on on row 1 by JK seats one Crew member forward facing at row 4 by AB seats so its 2 Crew for the safety demo on this aircraft type
Yes, that is how it was. My point though is that happily ensconced in 4K I was NOT able to see a crew member without making a concerted effort. The cc by 4 A/B was mostly obscured by the bulkhead and if I hadnt made the effort and just sat back in my seat then she would not have been visible at all.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
You correct that it’s difficult to see the crew member from certain seats but it is possible, it does say at the end of the pa/video to speak to the cabin crew if you have any questions.
Sigwx and DiamondMile like this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 10:18 am

Prehaps not directly related to BA but as these demonstrations are important they should be pithy, succint and to the point.

Look at some of the Qantas (and other airlines) demos and they are too long and many passengers stop paying attention.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 10:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Sigwx
Crew member is incapacitated due to smoke inhalation - In which direction do you turn the handle on Boeing aircraft doors in order to open the exit?

Again, dont look it up, it spoils the fun..
Probably wrong as I haven't a clue to be honest. I would guess up to prevent someone accidentally falling on it and opening it?
Sigwx likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 11:01 am

My personal peeve is a gentleman talking throughout the safety demo in F, he may think he knows what to do but for anyone that actually wanted to listen he was a pain!!!
Old Apr 3, 2024, 11:11 am

One question I always like to throw in the mix when I overhear discussions about ignoring the safety brief as - I know it off my heart and I always make a mental note of where the nearest exit is -is this, and NO, You are not allowed to look it up - You have to evacuate in a smoke filled cabin, youve flown a thousand times, youre a GGL, youve successfully in the fight or flight stressor response remembered how to unfasten your belt and made your way using the lights and counting rows to the exit. Crew member is incapacitated due to smoke inhalation - In which direction do you turn the handle on Boeing aircraft doors in order to open the exit?

Again, dont look it up, it spoils the fun. Im curious how many frequent flyers know. It is the same for all Boeings minus the 767 so I wont include it for the purposes of the answer.
Dont the doors just fall off of Boeings?
seanp7, SJOGuy, Greenpen and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 11:15 am

Programs: BA DL
Originally Posted by Greenpen
Does anyone really care about safety demonstrations? I don’t and generally ignore them and my perception is that most other people do too.
It was quite apparent a lot do not from watching a video on the news the other night, of passengers exiting a Frontier aircraft via the slides. A high proportion getting stuck in the doorway when their hand baggage prevented them from jumping onto the slide as it jammed in the door.
LETTERBOY likes this.

Last edited by exlhr; Apr 3, 2024 at 11:13 pm Reason: missing word
Old Apr 3, 2024, 11:50 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
In which direction do you turn the handle on Boeing aircraft doors in order to open the exit?
In the direction of the red arrow.. I'd expect that's up and to the right, as most would want to use their right hand to move it.
HIDDY, Sigwx, nancypants and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 12:20 pm

Programs: BAEC
I certainly try to pay attention, if only to give the CC a bit of respect.

But quite a bit of the briefing is pointless, and disingenuous since the briefing given is exactly the same on all aircraft types.

If you haven’t worked out how to use the seat belt by the time of the briefing, there’s probably no hope for you. And surely most people can work out there are exits at the front and rear ? (Tho, as Pam Ann says, when we crash into the side of the mountain, there’ll be exits everywhere…)
Old Apr 3, 2024, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JAXBA
In the direction of the red arrow.. I'd expect that's up and to the right, as most would want to use their right hand to move it.
50% correct.
JAXBA, Sigwx, firstlight and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 12:43 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Old fashioned I know, but despite travelling on around 50 flight segments a year I always pay careful attention to the safety briefing, not just for me but also to reassure the flight crew member that someone is paying attention. It's just a matter of respecting the crew member and reminding myself of where the exits are, how to use an oxygen mask and to make sure my wizard pipes are stowed

To remain on topic
golfmad , in CW I elevate my seat to the dining position at push back (not the takeoff position) as this allows me a better view of the relevant cabin crew member doing the safety briefing.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by firstlight; Apr 3, 2024 at 12:51 pm
Old Apr 3, 2024, 12:47 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
While a discussion about the merits and demerits of safety briefings is all well and good it's not the topic of this thread. So far I have counted two posts out of the 42 responses above that actually address the OP's question so in the spirit of @Sigwx's quiz I ask you this; which posts in reply to the OP are actually on topic?

Once they have been identified may I request that we all use the answer to help keep the thread on topic.

golfmad
Moderator: BAEC Forum
Old Apr 3, 2024, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Really, I think the majority of posts are related to safety onboard?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.