Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

No show ex-DUB, how to claim “Passenger Charge Ireland” refund?

Old Apr 2, 2024, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, HHonors, SPG, Marriott, A|Club, Tesco CC, Costa Coffee Club

Short version of long story:

I was no-show for a recent (non-flexible) one-way DUB-LCY booking, due to a genuine medical reason.

My e-Ticket receipt shows the total cost of EUR 197.44 included EUR 9.44 for “Passenger Charge - Ireland” (which I presume IS refundable) and EUR 3.00 for BA “Carrier Imposed Charge” (presumably NOT refundable).

These are trivial amounts, and normally I would not bother seeking any refund at all. BUT…

It looks like I have a good case to claim the non-taken flight on my travel insurance (Amex Platinum Card). But they will only pay out for the fare (EUR 185.00) once I can show that I have obtained whatever taxes/charges I can get back direct from BA.

Has anyone encountered this before? Seems a faff to submit a claim to BA to request EUR 9.44, just as a pre-requisite to claiming EUR 185.00 (or maybe EUR 188.00) from my travel insurance.

And how DO I request the “Passenger Charge - Ireland” refund from BA? Is there a dedicated form for such things? And will it get wiped out anyway by a BA service charge?
Old Apr 2, 2024, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by larryflyer
And will it get wiped out anyway by a BA service charge?
Yes.

The service fee via the Contact Centre is €30

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...s/public/en_ie
orbitmic and mikeyfly like this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Indeed even self service online cancellation before being no show is £15 I think but after being no show you need to use the contact centre so it’s bordering on you owing them money by then!!
Old Apr 2, 2024, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, HHonors, SPG, Marriott, A|Club, Tesco CC, Costa Coffee Club
Thanks both. I feared as much (re service charge costing more than any refund).

I think I’ll submit the travel insurance claim (for EUR 185.00, supported by the e-ticket receipt) direct, with I covering note explaining why I have not tried to reclaim the airport charge from BA.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 2:18 pm

Last November I was a no show on the return of a BA holiday flight JFK-LHR. Reason - business meant I had to travel straight to another destination from my holiday , cutting it short by a day.
Called CS and received the taxes for the unused portion of the trip. I think I it was around £180 and IIRC, there was no charge for having it done on the phone.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PAL62V
Last November I was a no show on the return of a BA holiday flight JFK-LHR. Reason - business meant I had to travel straight to another destination from my holiday , cutting it short by a day.
Called CS and received the taxes for the unused portion of the trip. I think I it was around £180 and IIRC, there was no charge for having it done on the phone.
I’ve got a somewhat similar problem now, regarding a BAH trip due to commence in a couple of days time. Looks like I will need to cancel (due to ongoing investigation of same medical issue that caused my no-show flight from Dublin).

This is the first time I’ve booked a package (flight plus hotel) with BA Holidays, and surprised to see the e-ticket does not show a breakdown of taxes, surcharges etc for the flights. The original e-ticket (issued on booking) just records my payment of £250 deposit, and then a later e-ticket just records my payment of the (large) balance.

My plan now is to call BA holidays to cancel (it will be <72 hours before departure, so in theory no refund). But surely I will get the taxes back (unknown amount)?

And then (like the Dublin flight) I will be seeking to claim the remainder from my travel insurance (Amex) but presumably needing to demonstrate (again!) that I have already reclaimed the taxes from BA (in this case, BA Holidays).

Nightmare trying to get right paperwork from all of: BA, travel insurer (Amex), medical consultant (private, self-funding) and my NHS GP (non-responsive, but the only doctor Amex will accept medical reports from).
Old Apr 2, 2024, 4:25 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
If you don't claim the taxes back from BA, how will the insurance company know you didn't take the flight?
Old Apr 2, 2024, 4:36 pm

But surely I will get the taxes back (unknown amount)?
As I understood it, if the flight is not taken the taxes are not paid out by BA, therefore they are there for the passenger to reclaim. I found BAH very good at sorting this for me.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Longton
If you don't claim the taxes back from BA, how will the insurance company know you didn't take the flight?
Good point, hadn’t thought of that one.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 4:52 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
Originally Posted by Longton
You can request documentation from BA for proof that you didn't travel, among other things that may be useful for claims:
https://www.britishairways.com/trave...stomer_receipt
Old Apr 2, 2024, 4:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Surely if the total is less than the service fee - it will just be a £0 "refund"? There won't be something along the lines of "thats -£18, how would you like to pay?" at least I hope not!
Old Apr 2, 2024, 5:03 pm

This is the first time I’ve booked a package (flight plus hotel) with BA Holidays, and surprised to see the e-ticket does not show a breakdown of taxes, surcharges etc for the flights. The original e-ticket (issued on booking) just records my payment of £250 deposit, and then a later e-ticket just records my payment of the (large) balance.
Via finnair website you can have it email you a fare breakdown. It gives you a breakout of the charges and taxes by code and amount. Useful for fare class information too. Works for BA bookings.

https://www.finnair.com/gb-en/custom...ticket-receipt
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonAussie
You can request documentation from BA for proof that you didn't travel, among other things that may be useful for claims:
https://www.britishairways.com/trave...stomer_receipt
I’ve never come across this before - looks like it may be REALLY useful for my various insurance claims. Many thanks for pointing it out.
LCSinTexas likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.