Tier Points now earned on Aer Lingus

Old Apr 2, 2024, 4:21 pm

It's about time they make this change!
Old Apr 2, 2024, 5:43 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
What about the pie in the sky about EI rejoining OneWorld? Clocks seem to run very slowly in Dublin.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 10:48 pm

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Originally Posted by bhbloke
That opens up some new TP runs, it's been a long time coming 🎉
Not really, unless they change to include I class.

Separately, it seems most economy fare classes arent included either (G, T seem to be the most common short haul buckets)
Old Apr 2, 2024, 11:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
How can one know which fare class youd be booked in?

Currently there are some fares available to buy on Aerlingus.com that I cant price on ita matrix.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 11:45 pm

Programs: BAEC GGLfL
Originally Posted by spanishflea
Would you earn tier points on a BA coded I class?
Yes. I don't think anything has changed in relation to BA codeshares on EI metal as regards TP-earning.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 12:08 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
CAVEAT EMPTOR

Those who are wanting to take advantage of the BA Holiday Double Tier Point promotion should note that the T&Cs have not yet changed and means double TPs may not be awarded for Aer Lingus flights, in fact the BAH T&Cs state that no TPs are awarded for EI flights:

“ c) The booking must contain British Airways flights including codeshares and British Airways marketed and/or operated flights only. Flights not meeting these criteria within the booking won’t be awarded Tier Points. Flights offered as part of a British Airways Holidays package that are provided by other airline partners that do not have a BA flight number will not be eligible. Please note: Flights marketed by British Airways with or without a BA flight number that are operated by Aer Lingus, China Southern or LATAM are not eligible for Tier Points.”
DeathSlam likes this.

Last edited by Tobias-UK; Apr 3, 2024 at 12:32 am Reason: Add link to BAH Holiday TP Promotion thread.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 12:37 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
CAVEAT EMPTOR

Those who are wanting to take advantage of the BA Holiday Double Tier Point promotion should note that the T&Cs have not yet changed and means double TPs may not be awarded for Aer Lingus flights, in fact the BAH T&Cs state that no TPs are awarded for EI flights:

“ c) The booking must contain British Airways flights including codeshares and British Airways marketed and/or operated flights only. Flights not meeting these criteria within the booking won’t be awarded Tier Points. Flights offered as part of a British Airways Holidays package that are provided by other airline partners that do not have a BA flight number will not be eligible. Please note: Flights marketed by British Airways with or without a BA flight number that are operated by Aer Lingus, China Southern or LATAM are not eligible for Tier Points.”
Hmm. But as a statement of the historic position of BA codeshares on EI that is incorrect. I can't say that I have ever been a regular on EI, but when I have, and been booked under a BA code, I have been awarded TPs. I can understand EI flights (with BA code) would be ineligible for the double TPs game.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Finland Station
Yes. I don't think anything has changed in relation to BA codeshares on EI metal as regards TP-earning.
For something to have changed, it would mean that BA codeshares on EI would no longer earn Tier Points (such flights have earned Tier Points for years). But that would be completely illogical.
Attached Images  
Old Apr 3, 2024, 2:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Good news, though obviously of limited use if I isn't included. Interested to know if that would bring AA(EI) legs into earning scope, but I'm assuming it won't until told otherwise.

Most surprising thing for me is that this wasn't rolled out with the JV entry, as I thought it would make a huge mess to have non-earning flights within the JV.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by etiene
Interested to know if that would bring AA(EI) legs into earning scope, but I'm assuming it won't until told otherwise.
Without a further announcement to that effect, it won't. See irishguy28's post above from BA website. For as long as EI remains outside oneworld, this will remain the position.
etiene likes this.

Last edited by Finland Station; Apr 3, 2024 at 2:23 am
Old Apr 3, 2024, 2:19 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
BA isn't the only IAG airline that has struggled to get resources from head office for IT developments. Recently Aer Lingus' app and website have seen additional functionality - fairly basic additions by BA's standards - but I think that's the clue as to what has happened here, as well as illustrating the problem of bringing Aer Lingus into oneworld. So I suspect this is just one step on the journey, recently facilitated by the OpCo getting some IT money from IAG.
YacozA likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 2:22 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by etiene
Good news, though obviously of limited use if I isn't included. Interested to know if that would bring AA(EI) legs into earning scope, but I'm assuming it won't until told otherwise.

Most surprising thing for me is that this wasn't rolled out with the JV entry, as I thought it would make a huge mess to have non-earning flights within the JV.
As pointed out upthread it appears the BA tier point calculator is pointing to pre-October 2023 flights for eligible fare codes. This may, or may not be what is actually being used for flights after April1 2024. I accept that there have been anomalies in the past, but these have been fairly isolated and in one specific booking class. The current calculator results would be strange as the tier point calculator suggests Avios and Tier Point collection is not aligned.
So for now its very much YMMV and/or caveat emptor.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by BrianDromey
The current calculator results would be strange as the tier point calculator suggests Avios and Tier Point collection is not aligned. So for now its very much YMMV and/or caveat emptor.
It is indeed. However, the TP calculator is usually very reliable in indicating what will be awarded post-travel.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 2:27 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by BrianDromey
This may, or may not be what is actually being used for flights after April1 2024.
We can fairly safely say that as things stand, what shows in Flight Calculator is what will credit automatically. In the past when there have been quirks and anomalies in Flight Calculator this was reflected immediately in what FTers saw in their accounts. So it is very much the sole truth reference point here. That's not to say it won't evolve, and it's certainly not unusual if BAEC improves the fare bucket earnings over time.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 2:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by Finland Station
Without a further announcement to that effect, it won't. See irishguy28's post above from BA website. For as long as EI remains outside oneworld, this will remain the position.
That's the current state, yes. I think this presents a new - and unique - TP pitfall though doesn't it? Probably definitional - since I think EI is the first and thus only non-oneworld TP earning carrier - but I can't think of any other instances where there's a oneworld codeshare on a TP earning prime carrier, but the combination doesn't earn. Of course, that doesn't require them to change anything - but it would remove a potentially confusing edge case if they did and the hypothesis over it being an old subset of fare codes might suggest they haven't lined up all their ducks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.