Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA business lounge or landside hotel Heathrow Terminal 5 for 6-hour layover?

Old Apr 1, 2024, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Daughter and I will be going to Lisbon in the fall through LHR flying business. We will have what will be basically a day flight BA52 SEA-LHR and arrive in London at 7:10. Our flight to Lisbon leaves at 13:25. So we'll have more than 6 hours and we will definitely be tired.

Is it worth to get a nearby hotel to sleep a few hours (which means doing immigration, and coming back doing security) or perhaps staying in the lounge is good enough to get some sleep?

Thanks.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by pampa
Daughter and I will be going to Lisbon in the fall through LHR flying business. We will have what will be basically a day flight BA52 SEA-LHR and arrive in London at 7:10. Our flight to Lisbon leaves at 13:25. So we'll have more than 6 hours and we will definitely be tired.

Is it worth to get a nearby hotel to sleep a few hours (which means doing immigration, and coming back doing security) or perhaps staying in the lounge is good enough to get some sleep?

Thanks.
if you want to sleep you should get a day room. But Id argue that the SEA to LHR segment while poorly timed is very much an overnight flight. Id get ambien to knock you out for that and then stay awake on arrival to help adjust to Lisbon time.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 3:37 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I think on those timings you'll have trouble getting meaningful sleep. It'll take maybe an hour to get off the flight to a hotel, and you need to be back for say 11.30, so you really just get 0810 to 11:00, less than three hours. If you do sleep it'll be deep and difficult to wake up from and it'll probably knock you out for the rest of the day.

I'd just roll with it in a lounge with an alarm set, probably sleep on the flight to Lisbon, and catch up on sleep on arrival if still needed.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 3:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Assuming it is one of the off airport hotels rather than the Sofitel, you are probably not going to get to the hotel room much before 8, and you will probably want to leave the hotel 12:00ish to get back into the terminal around 12:20ish for a 13:25 departure (yes you could be later than that, personally i would aim to be in the terminal by 12:00 so would leave earlier)

sleep, wake, shower...

i doubt you will get much quality sleep.

i would probably head for the B lounge, spend a couple of hours there, then back to one of the A lounges for a couple of hours
The _Banking_Scot and pampa like this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 3:45 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold
Originally Posted by pampa

Thanks.
I'd agree with the above comments. You are better to try and move yourselves as much as possible into UK/Lisbon timezone while in Seattle so that you sleep on the original flight rather than trying to sleep while at Heathrow - there just isn't really the time to get a reasonable amount is sleep there.
The _Banking_Scot and pampa like this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 2:07 pm

Location: Seattle, WA & Red Lodge, MT (USA) and Cumbria, England
Programs: AA Platinum for Life, AS MVP Gold 100K, Marriott Titanium for Life, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by timlewis808
I'd agree with the above comments. You are better to try and move yourselves as much as possible into UK/Lisbon timezone while in Seattle so that you sleep on the original flight rather than trying to sleep while at Heathrow - there just isn't really the time to get a reasonable amount is sleep there.
This. I fly that route about every 4 weeks, and when I'm on the early flight you're on, I want to feel like it's morning when I get to London. Try to adjust your sleeping and eating at least a few hours closer to UK (and Portugal) time a couple of days before you fly. When you get on the plane, let them know you want to eat as quickly as possible, enjoy your dinner, make your bed, put your earplugs and eye shades on, and snooze.

I'd much rather try to get 6 or 7 hours of sleep (even if it's not the best) on the plane than sleep during the day after arriving. You'll feel MUCH better, much sooner that way.
QT31415 likes this.

Last edited by Red L; Apr 2, 2024 at 2:18 pm
Old Apr 2, 2024, 2:42 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
Agree with Red. We also do this flight on a regular basis and sleep on the way over. It's part of our time-adjusting sequence - drink a lot of coffee when you land, do some shopping with the money you save from not going to the Sofitel, and be sure to walk a lot in Lisbon when you land. Go to bed earlier than normal on Lisbon night 1, and you're halfway adjusted for your time in Europe!

Sometimes I do this flight with my older parent - then I'll stash them in the Sofitel for some rest and take them back through TFW for lunch after a nap. With the nap pods gone, it's hard for them to catnap.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.