BA Holiday flight cancellation

Old Mar 27, 2024, 7:53 am
Original Poster

BA Holiday flight cancellation

Hi
Would someone please be kind enough to confirm the following for me please.
BAH booking due to depart in July (flight and car). Outbound flight cancelled a couple of months ago. We are still wanting to travel to this part of Greece and moving to ATH isn't the end of the world.

1. What is the maximum number of days I can leverage to change the cancelled flight ? I seem to recall seeing +/- 3 days. Does this also apply to the un affected return ?
2. To travel on the original day will now involve flying to ATH instead of KLX. Will BAH pay for a one way drop fee and additional days rental charges if we go 3 days earlier ?
3. Is the range for changing to a different destination rigid at 350 miles ?
4. Am I correct in assuming that we will loose the right to Row 1 seating as we are currently not GCH (will be after this trip though).

Thanks for your advice.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 9:00 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC electrum
Originally Posted by UKCOYS
Hi
Would someone please be kind enough to confirm the following for me please.
BAH booking due to depart in July (flight and car). Outbound flight cancelled a couple of months ago. We are still wanting to travel to this part of Greece and moving to ATH isn't the end of the world.

1. What is the maximum number of days I can leverage to change the cancelled flight ? I seem to recall seeing +/- 3 days. Does this also apply to the un affected return ?
2. To travel on the original day will now involve flying to ATH instead of KLX. Will BAH pay for a one way drop fee and additional days rental charges if we go 3 days earlier ?
3. Is the range for changing to a different destination rigid at 350 miles ?
4. Am I correct in assuming that we will loose the right to Row 1 seating as we are currently not GCH (will be after this trip though).

Thanks for your advice.
BAH seem to be reasonably flexible for any reasonable request when a flight is cancelled.
Work out what your ideal rescheduling would be and have a couple of back-ups if possible and then give them a call.
1. I have had an outbound cancelled and moved the return for free as part of the same rescheduling.
2. Changing airport and flights by three days may well be possible. And if the cost differential is minimal you may find there is no change fee. I can't see why they would pay for three extra days car rental, but it would probably cost them less than the extra hotel days they have done for me, so you might luck out.
3. I don't know.
4. I think your seating options are determined by your current BAEC status when you go to select or reselect your seats. So I can't see how a rescheduling makes much difference.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 11:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Lidl Plus
Originally Posted by UKCOYS
Hi
The way I interpret this, you were Gold when you made the original booking for the cancelled flight, have since dropped (presumably to Silver) but this trip will get you back to Gold, is that correct? In that case, as DeathSlam says, you would be able to select seats on any rearranged flight based on your current status. For Silver, that means anything except row 1.

Seat assignments you make based on status when booking tend to stick even if you drop in status before flying. However, if there are any changes in the meantime such as rebooking or a change in aircraft type then you would normally only be able to reselect based on your status at the time of the rebooking/equipment change.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I believe the standard distance is 300 miles, not 350. Annoyingly it only applies to the affected flight not return etc. With the booking being flight+car id expect them to take care of whatever additional costs have been incurred as a result of the cancellation including fee for different drop off but you need to call them and ask anyway.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 4:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by speedbird66
The way I interpret this, you were Gold when you made the original booking for the cancelled flight, have since dropped (presumably to Silver) but this trip will get you back to Gold, is that correct? In that case, as DeathSlam says, you would be able to select seats on any rearranged flight based on your current status. For Silver, that means anything except row 1.

Seat assignments you make based on status when booking tend to stick even if you drop in status before flying. However, if there are any changes in the meantime such as rebooking or a change in aircraft type then you would normally only be able to reselect based on your status at the time of the rebooking/equipment change.
Thanks for the reply.
You are correct, GCH when booked, now Silver, will return to GCH after this trip.
No big problem with Row 1, but would have taken it if possible.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 4:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by orbitmic
I believe the standard distance is 300 miles, not 350. Annoyingly it only applies to the affected flight not return etc. With the booking being flight+car id expect them to take care of whatever additional costs have been incurred as a result of the cancellation including fee for different drop off but you need to call them and ask anyway.
I'll call and see what I can "negotiate".
Thanks for the advice.
Old May 26, 2024, 2:45 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
We have something similar and I want to see what might be possible, i.e. what latitude the agents have.

Background: Booked BAH (flight + hotel) SFO-LHR-STR (actually staying in Strassbourg, Fr for most of the trip so only using the included Stuttgart hotel first and last night). Then called about possible upgrade back to SFO. There was nothing, but they did have LAX the following day. The flights were actually less, and the hotel added a bit, so cost was minimal. All good.

Just got notice that STR-LHR was cancelled for our return. Later flight gets us to LHR too late for LHR-LAX.

Options: 1. Take suggested flight, overnight near LHR (at BA expense) and LHR-LAX next day, with preserved upgrade
2. (Preferred). Simply move the return to the following day (appropriate STR-LHR exists) and have them extend the STR hotel one night, at their expense.

When I look at MMB and rebook options, I see several Option 2 choices, and this has preserved the upgrade on the longhaul. Not mentioned, but I'm sure that they will handle this. So that would work.

What I'd really like: Still move to the next day due to the STR-LHR cancellation, but change to LHR-SFO, with upgrade. There are none showing available, and I don't know what flexibility they have in opening this up due to their cancellation. I know that AA have done this for us in similar situations, but not sure if BA can do this.

BAH are closed for the day, so wanted to get a sense of whether this is possible, so I know what negotiating room I have.

Also, I presume that this is eligible, after completion, for EC261 due to the delay.

Cheers.
Old May 26, 2024, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by brp
We have something similar and I want to see what might be possible, i.e. what latitude the agents have.

Background: Booked BAH (flight + hotel) SFO-LHR-STR (actually staying in Strassbourg, Fr for most of the trip so only using the included Stuttgart hotel first and last night). Then called about possible upgrade back to SFO. There was nothing, but they did have LAX the following day. The flights were actually less, and the hotel added a bit, so cost was minimal. All good.

Just got notice that STR-LHR was cancelled for our return. Later flight gets us to LHR too late for LHR-LAX.

Options: 1. Take suggested flight, overnight near LHR (at BA expense) and LHR-LAX next day, with preserved upgrade
2. (Preferred). Simply move the return to the following day (appropriate STR-LHR exists) and have them extend the STR hotel one night, at their expense.

When I look at MMB and rebook options, I see several Option 2 choices, and this has preserved the upgrade on the longhaul. Not mentioned, but I'm sure that they will handle this. So that would work.

What I'd really like: Still move to the next day due to the STR-LHR cancellation, but change to LHR-SFO, with upgrade. There are none showing available, and I don't know what flexibility they have in opening this up due to their cancellation. I know that AA have done this for us in similar situations, but not sure if BA can do this.

BAH are closed for the day, so wanted to get a sense of whether this is possible, so I know what negotiating room I have.

Also, I presume that this is eligible, after completion, for EC261 due to the delay.

Cheers.
I think both your scenarios are manageable.
But you will need to call.
If you agree to the changes on a call I don't think you have EC261 any more, if you take what they give you on an involuntary basis that is different.
Greater minds may have more accurate information.
Old May 26, 2024, 3:04 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DeathSlam
I think both your scenarios are manageable.
But you will need to call.
If you agree to the changes on a call I don't think you have EC261 any more, if you take what they give you on an involuntary basis that is different.
Greater minds may have more accurate information.
Thanks. Yes, if they are willing to move us to the LHR-SFO and provide an upgrade on that, I would not even pursue EC261 in December when this is completed. However, the offered options are simply to move to the next day, still into LAX with the upgrade. While I would be agreeing to one of these (there are several choices), I would consider this the "involuntary basis" case since we are moved by a day.

Cheers.
Old May 26, 2024, 3:08 pm

Programs: IB+ Oro (OWS) / FB / SQ
Wouldn't a cancellation this far out be likely to be operational and with no compo anyway?
brp likes this.
Old May 26, 2024, 3:12 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not Applicable

Last edited by brp; May 26, 2024 at 3:36 pm
Old May 27, 2024, 11:14 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

First, sorry for the sidetrack on the compensation portion. Purely my misunderstanding.

Some results:

Apparently, if there is a schedule change, they have wide latitude in making changes. While LHR-SFO is a very hard upgrade to get, they can use commercial space and just pop us in. And she has.

The hotel, however, has complicated things. Seems that they would prefer to nip off a day at the beginning to keep the duration the same (which I don't prefer). However, the hotel is non-changeable, so they would incur a cost. She spoke with the back office and they even suggested shifting our whole itinerary a day earlier as the offending return flight exists on that day. I said no. Even she thought that that was an unreasonable ask.

Finally, she has to write it up and send it to the back office to have them contact the supplier to simply add the day. She said it used to be easier.

She did hold the new flights so we wouldn't lose them.

I had thought that the hotel addition would be the easy part. Seems not, and this might likely impact car hire as well.

The agent was quite excellent and I rated as such in the follow-up survey I received,

Cheers.
Old May 27, 2024, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by brp
I had thought that the hotel addition would be the easy part. Seems not, and this might likely impact car hire as well.
The agent was quite excellent and I rated as such in the follow-up survey I received,
Yes, I got great service on the re-org to one of my BAHs. I turned up at the hotel and not only did I have the new 3 day stay, They also had the original 2 day stay as well. This took the reception staff a while to figure out, but it was all good in the end.
On another one it was a complete mystery to the hotel when I arrived, also sorted with a printed copy of my booking.
I am happier when everyone is really nice, but issues may arise and they get sorted out, than dealing with super efficient but rude people.
So BAHs are working for me.
Old May 27, 2024, 1:24 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DeathSlam
Yes, I got great service on the re-org to one of my BAHs. I turned up at the hotel and not only did I have the new 3 day stay, They also had the original 2 day stay as well. This took the reception staff a while to figure out, but it was all good in the end.
On another one it was a complete mystery to the hotel when I arrived, also sorted with a printed copy of my booking.
I am happier when everyone is really nice, but issues may arise and they get sorted out, than dealing with super efficient but rude people.
So BAHs are working for me.
I already had a 5 night non-refundable stay, then tagged on an additional night that I paid for to get the initial upgrade. Now, the expectation is that they will grow this 1-night add-on to 2. if it really ends up being 3 reservations, even in the same room type, it could be difficult. With that said, we're only planning to use the first and last night so, as long as they have a room for us, it really doesn't matter as much.

Edit: It finally got sorted by the same excellent agent. She just extended the added night to 2, so we just have one more day on the trip and the upgrade into SFO. Nicely handled!

Cheers.

Last edited by brp; May 30, 2024 at 12:19 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.