CW Drink pet peeve

Old Mar 29, 2024, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
So in summary when I order my next “double” on BA I’ll be getting less than 1 shot right?
You’ve asked the same question 3 times by my reckoning, been provided with the info multiple times upthread and are still asking? 🤷‍♂️
Old Mar 29, 2024, 11:26 pm

Programs: BA Silver / SQ Sol PPS / KE & EK Nobody!
So in summary when I order my next “double” on BA I’ll be getting less than 1 shot right?
Just to be abundantly clear (as appreciate these conversions can get confusing!):

In the UK... You'll be getting 50ml, which is just shy of 1.7 fluid ounces (whatever they are), which Google tells me is just over 1 standard (1.5 fluid ounce/147ml) shot in the US. On BA, this 'double' will be served in a rather small glass. (In my view, too small!)

Therefore...

The actual ratio itself may resemble something closer to what you'd experience when you order an American 'double' on a US carrier. It may not. However, this is particularly likely if you ask for it to be served with what (most of) the crew have been culturally conditioned to view as half a glacier of ice, which, on the contrary, those hailing from the Land of the Free and the Home of the Big Mac know as normal.

YMMV, but to save yourself the hassle - why not just order a double and ask for them to give you a 50:50 ratio of drink to mixer, perhaps? I doubt you'll fit that all into the small glasses anyway, so you'll probably wind up with a relatively alcoholic bias. Which, as an Australian and someone who works in the booze industry, I heartily condone. Unless you're in Row 0 flying the thing.

As many have noted upthread, BA (and the rest of the world for that matter) ain't gonna change (not that I think you're expecting them to!), so perhaps try and find a method of explaining what you want that works? The Crew are there to help, and most with a sense of humour recognise the importance of a good drink!
simonsmith and Misco60 like this.

Last edited by Cathay1101; Mar 30, 2024 at 4:57 am
Old Mar 30, 2024, 6:36 am

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
This may be a case of differing cultural expectations. The UK definition of a "double" varies from that in the U.S. where heavy bar pours are quite common. I recall ordering a double white rum and coke in Florida and what I was presented with was a very light tan colored cocktail that was at least half rum.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I agree drinks in the US have no subtlety they just hit you with too much spirt, I also hate ice in dinks that are served directly from the fridge.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Thanks all. If you ever walk down the aisle and see a frustrated yank in CW with a few Tito's plastic minis and two glasses of full ice you can say hello.

Can I help you and Cathay1101 like this.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Cathay1101
In the UK... You'll be getting 50ml
50 ml which is the size of 1 Tito's mini so in the US this is a single. When I ask for a double on an AA plane I get two Tito's minis.

Pretty lame if you ask me and will look silly if I ask for a quadruple.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 9:33 am

Programs: BA Silver / SQ Sol PPS / KE & EK Nobody!
Thanks all. If you ever walk down the aisle and see a frustrated yank in CW with a few Tito's plastic minis and two glasses of full ice you can say hello.

Better that than a goat shetland pony as an emotional support animal, my friend! No judgement here!

50 ml which is the size of 1 Tito's mini so in the US this is a single. When I ask for a double on an AA plane I get two Tito's minis.

Pretty lame if you ask me and will look silly if I ask for a quadruple.
Probably, but then so too is the excuse for tea that anyone besides BA produces at 30,000ft+. I don't even drink the stuff normally, but as a coffee/caffeine addict this is the only viable alternative whilst airborne beyond an F cabin (and even then it's hit and miss dependent on whether the aircraft galley holds a prized espresso machine, as opposed to the groundwater generators we all typically encounter...)

But I digress.

A 'Murican standard shot pour is 44ml/1.5 fluid ounces. In Utah at least, which Mr. Wikipedia tells me is the only State that actually regulates this.

Everyone's standard minis would appear to be 50ml, which is the eminently convenient measure of 1.6907 fluid ounces in Americanese. On this one you've let us have it and deferred to the same as everyone else's double shot. As someone in the spirits industry who has a remote connection to inventory management, I thank you. But in all fairness this seems straightforward enough as it's relatively close to your 'singles'.

Yet when I go to google what constitutes a 'double shot' in the US to confirm that it is indeed 88ml/3 fluid ounces, I'm greeted with "usually 3 ounces", but then a (rather interesting, I might add) bartenders reddit thread advising that this might be 2 ounces when ordering on the rocks? How does this change things when you add your glacier and a mixer?!

I'm officially lost. Reason #72 I'd be a rubbish BA flight attendant. Equally, I'm counting my lucky stars that my bartending days are over, and that most of the (almost always charming and impeccably polite) Americans who I pulled pints for tended to... 'lose concentration' following three or four proper pints before noticing the Weights and Measures Act plaque behind me. Mercifully I never had the cultural minefield pleasure of desecrating your pouring you a bucketful glass of Tito's!

Safe travels and, do remember, a quadruple in the air is an octuple on the ground - although it would seem to depend where you're flying over!
enviroian likes this.

Last edited by Cathay1101; Mar 30, 2024 at 9:36 am Reason: Google confirming that Goats are no longer permitted as Emotional Support Animals on US Legacy Carriers. Nor Hedgehogs. Hmph.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.