CW Drink pet peeve

Old Mar 25, 2024, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
We should have a thread My British AIrways Dream Bar CE and CW and send it to them.
I suspect we might as well call it "let's bankrupt BA!"
HIDDY and Cathay1101 like this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 2:23 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Lucanesque
Anyone who went to secondary school from the 80s onwards has been schooled in metric. I'm 53 and I think in grams and cms, not ounces and inches.
Depends what is being measured. I'm a few years younger than you, but while I naturally think in metric for many things, it's not universal.

For example, I am very comfortable with kgs for luggage - but know my own weight only in stones and lbs. I know what a 500g pack of mince looks like, but a steak (and a steak only) is something measured in ozs. I obviously know what a metre looks like, but know my own height only in ft and inches.

I think most of us this age are in that sort of inbetween generation which knows neither system properly!
Old Mar 25, 2024, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
To go further down the rabbit hole, Ciroc is a 40% abv spirit, so a 50ml shot is 20ml of alcohol...whereas 10ml is considered 1 unit. If someone is expecting two US minis / 100ml they're getting 40ml of alcohol or 4 units in one drink

(note that in the US 17ml is considered "one drink" which is why a 355ml can/bottle of 5% avb beer is "1 drink")
Old Mar 25, 2024, 3:29 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, AmEx Membership Rewards
Originally Posted by chriswiles
I have the opposite (but similar) issue. When I ask for a G&T in J, I find 50% of the time the crew don't know how to make it, so use a very heavy shot of gin. Once I was served a G&T with 50% gin. After two of those I felt quite rough!

On the A350, when the WTP trolley goes through the J cabin, I often stop it and pull off the Tanqueray & tonics and simply use the small bottles and mix my own! So far, the person pushing the trolley has never complained I'm doing this.
If anyone did this on an American Airlines flight (or any US airline for that matter), I guarantee the airplane would be making an unplanned stop in Tulsa.
LCSinTexas and oceanscape like this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 4:44 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Lucanesque
Anyone who went to secondary school from the 80s onwards has been schooled in metric. I'm 53 and I think in grams and cms, not ounces and inches.
You seriously don't measure height in feet and inches and your weight in stone? I'm in my 30s and have no idea about my height in cm or my weight in kg ...School kids these days still use feet, inches, and stone..at least in the North. Maybe down South things are a bit more Continental?

It was the same in another thread where it was stated normal vision is indicated as 6:6 in UK, rather than 20:20....If you asked anyone on the street if they have 6:6 vision they'd look at you like you have two heads...
MaxFlyer, bafan, Yetak and 1 others like this.

Last edited by labdoctor; Mar 25, 2024 at 4:53 pm
Old Mar 25, 2024, 4:56 pm

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
Virgin did a case study a few years ago whereby they calculated a significant fuel (cash) saving by just offloading the empty pre departure champagne bottles before they close the doors. Sure, for one flight it's an insignificant saving but over the course of every departure in a calendar year, I can see why they choose to do that.
​​​​
This is brilliant and I would love to see it extended (never going to happen). If there was as announcement just before doors closing asking people to dispose of any rubbish before departure, with the crew doing a quick rubbish collection with bin bags.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Love asking for "no ice" in my US drinks as staff invariably start panicking as to whether they should make their bar or restaurant lose money on me, or expose how little drink is in fact poured in their regular drinks...
Really? I have a "no ice" friend who asks all the time, and US staff never have an issue with this - whilst you're probably right about the original reason for lots of ice, the server doesn't care. They just want your tip
Old Mar 25, 2024, 11:34 pm

Programs: BA Silver / SQ Sol PPS / KE & EK Nobody!
Originally Posted by Scots_Al
Depends what is being measured. I'm a few years younger than you, but while I naturally think in metric for many things, it's not universal.

For example, I am very comfortable with kgs for luggage - but know my own weight only in stones and lbs. I know what a 500g pack of mince looks like, but a steak (and a steak only) is something measured in ozs. I obviously know what a metre looks like, but know my own height only in ft and inches.

I think most of us this age are in that sort of inbetween generation which knows neither system properly!
I'm always baffled by the UK's hotch-potch approach to imperial and metric. At least the Yanks go all-out with their endeavour to be fully different - can't just stick your toe in I've always been curious as to how they decided what constituted a 'stone' to start with...

That being said, us Aussies can't talk! At least you measure a cricket game properly and account for the sportsmanship of the game's participants... These days we prefer to determine victory through wickets taken with the assistance of sandpaper!
seanp7 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 9:21 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Cathay1101
I've always been curious as to how they decided what constituted a 'stone' to start with...
Then I highly recommend this book that explains seriously and makes fun of all the world's odd measurements at the same time: https://a.co/d/1UkHCWI

In the meantime, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_(unit) will do - the stone measurement initially came from items being measured against the weight of a local significant rock no, there was no standardisation until much later...
Cathay1101 and LCSinTexas like this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 9:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I suspect we might as well call it "let's bankrupt BA!"
We did!

My British Airways Dream Bar CE and CW (& F) aka Let's bankrupt BA
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Cathay1101
I'm always baffled by the UK's hotch-potch approach to imperial and metric. At least the Yanks go all-out with their endeavour to be fully different - can't just stick your toe in I've always been curious as to how they decided what constituted a 'stone' to start with...

That being said, us Aussies can't talk! At least you measure a cricket game properly and account for the sportsmanship of the game's participants... These days we prefer to determine victory through wickets taken with the assistance of sandpaper!
No I like the fact that were inconsistent especially about the lovely weather. So when its cold we use Celsius - its minus four out there today, but when its hot we revert to Farenheit and say its nearly ninety degrees in the shade.
bafan and Cathay1101 like this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 7:45 pm

Programs: BA Silver / SQ Sol PPS / KE & EK Nobody!
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
No I like the fact that we’re inconsistent especially about the lovely weather. So when it’s cold we use Celsius - it’s minus four out there today, but when it’s hot we revert to Farenheit and say it’s nearly ninety degrees in the shade.
Ah yes - classic - personally I think there should be some yardstick to compare a poor summer to the biblical Great Flood - I'm sure the Daily Mail have already beaten me to this idea

Originally Posted by JAXBA
Then I highly recommend this book that explains seriously and makes fun of all the world's odd measurements at the same time: https://a.co/d/1UkHCWI

In the meantime, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_(unit) will do - the stone measurement initially came from items being measured against the weight of a local significant rock… no, there was no standardisation until much later...
Why did I know someone on here would come with a lovely recommendation - thank you! I'd love to find out about the (presumably) bloke who decided "nope, this is the stone we shall compare to hereon". Presumably BA crews have a similar metric they're trained on for allocating ice in drinks!
Jimmie76 and JAXBA like this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 3:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by labdoctor
You seriously don't measure height in feet and inches and your weight in stone? I'm in my 30s and have no idea about my height in cm or my weight in kg ...School kids these days still use feet, inches, and stone..at least in the North. Maybe down South things are a bit more Continental?

It was the same in another thread where it was stated normal vision is indicated as 6:6 in UK, rather than 20:20....If you asked anyone on the street if they have 6:6 vision they'd look at you like you have two heads...
I seriously do - 188cm and 93kg, but I also know I'm 6'2" as I am from that crossover era, I'd have to google how to translate KG to stone and pounds. For all measurements in maths, science, geography etc we were only taught metric, yet weirdly until I was probably in my 20s personal height and weight was asked for in imperial measurement. But for at least the last 20+ years my doctor and hospital visits have all been metric measurements. Maybe it is a north / south thing?

I'll be honest though, I've never heard of 6:6 vision, I didn't realise there were metric and imperial measurements for vision.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 2:59 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott GFL
As a former(?) resident of the Great State of Texas, I usually encounter the sad situation on my transatlantic flights that the ice has converted to water before the end of the flight (and the end of my drinking) so I try to "make do" with 3-4 cubes per drink out of respect for others on the plane

Ice is truly an addictive habit, but got used to it as it keeps the drink cold long enough to finish the drink before it becomes warm in the Texas heat. Now having lived outside the US (and Texas) almost 10 years, have gotten away from the habit... For the most part.

LcS
(Yes, I love Titos)
Old Mar 29, 2024, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
So in summary when I order my next “double” on BA I’ll be getting less than 1 shot right?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.