CW Drink pet peeve

Old Mar 25, 2024, 10:08 am

Has Campari made a return to the bars, or is that gone for good?
Old Mar 25, 2024, 10:39 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriot Platinum
Originally Posted by chriswiles
Once I was served a G&T with 50% gin. After two of those I felt quite rough!.
That's my standard home pour for G&T or Vodka soda. As an American expat in London I've learned to just have beer/wine in pubs as I can't stand all the extra mixer. I like a drink where I can actually taste the spirit (as long as it is a good one). And yes, I prefer Tito's as my vodka of choice. Makes much more of a difference when its half your drink. I also like a lot of ice (and am investing in a counter-top ice machine in my flat ). Two cubes in the warm cabins just don't keep the drink cold for long enough to sip on it.

It's pretty usual to get a US double on american domestic flights. I flew AS a lot and sometimes with all of the ice I only got a splash of tonic or club soda in my glass with 2 american shots.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Bellerina
That's my standard home pour for G&T or Vodka soda. As an American expat in London I've learned to just have beer/wine in pubs as I can't stand all the extra mixer. I like a drink where I can actually taste the spirit (as long as it is a good one). And yes, I prefer Tito's as my vodka of choice. Makes much more of a difference when its half your drink. I also like a lot of ice (and am investing in a counter-top ice machine in my flat ). Two cubes in the warm cabins just don't keep the drink cold for long enough to sip on it.

It's pretty usual to get a US double on american domestic flights. I flew AS a lot and sometimes with all of the ice I only got a splash of tonic or club soda in my glass with 2 american shots.
you and I are alone on this British island my friend.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 11:30 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by kdhurst380
We use the metric system for weights and measures, much like continental Europe and most of the world.
That would be news to a lot of people in Britain.
​​​​​
chrisny2 and Cathay1101 like this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 11:49 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Darlings - a lot of this is cultural. When I was young (quite recently I had very little ice. I became Cabin Crew at BCAL and went to the USA and was drawn to the Dark Side of the Force. I have worked my spell on my husband, In the UK people put in a couple of cubes which have melted before I have half finished. I ask for a spare glass of ice. Trust me in France it is far worse. There is one place where I can buy bags of ice and that is the frozen food emporium Picard.Supermarkets do get it in for summer and I pack the freezer with it. It's sheer laziness and I love the convenience. BA will give you all the ice that you want.

That all said you make me think of those AA flights which start with the rhythmic banging of ice bags as one the problem with the d^mn ice is that it thaws a little and then freezes into solid blocks.

This comes from a woman who when confronted with such a bag actually picked the bag to try and reduce the wretched stuff to cubes that would go in anything smaller than a medium size bucket. I banged the bag and it burst scattering ice all over the galley. Someone of considerable Seniority came into this flood and without missing a beat said "Darling - have your waters broken?". I corpsed and was convulsed with laughter.

This has nothing to do with enviroian 's pet peeves but I had very wet shoes and tights!
Old Mar 25, 2024, 11:52 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by enviroian
the plastic mini bottles can be easily recycled. Its all about cost not the environment.
I'm sorry but this thought is very naive and quite old school. Several studies have shown that recycling has been mostly "wishful" and that only a very small percentage of items tossed in recycling bins actually get recycled.
While obviously a good practice, the focus has shifted from recycling efforts to reducing, which is key to lower environmental footprint.
I would anecdotally assume that big bottles are more efficient and with a smaller footprint overall (less packages, bigger items easier to recycle, less chances small items fall off bins/transports, etc).
Sure BA might have made the switch only when it made financial sense and then dress it up a bit overplaying the environmental effort behind it? I'm honestly all good with that, it's win-win.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 12:24 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club, Flying Blue
Originally Posted by Dave_C
Has Campari made a return to the bars, or is that gone for good?
I wish it would come back !!
Old Mar 25, 2024, 12:37 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club, Flying Blue
Originally Posted by Bellerina

I've experienced that! Just a bit less ice would allow more mixer to match the size of the shots!
Bellerina likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 12:54 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
Isn't Smirnoff Red still stocked down the back?
Yes, although sometimes substituted with Eristoff.
1Aturnleft likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 12:56 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
Originally Posted by seanp7
My rule on BA and in the UK (as an Aussie who has adjusted to living in the US): Double the liquor, double the ice. (Maybe even triple the ice). That said, BA cabin crew are pretty good at giving doubles and multiple drink runs (in CE at least).

And I love those giant Spanish ice cubes!
If you end up taking one of the summer Cityflyer flights that gets catered in PMI you'll find those giant ice cubes on board. They are just narrow enough to fit in a Club Europe tumbler!
Old Mar 25, 2024, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by camdentown
I wish it would come back !!
As an Anglo-Italian household it is always available at ours (along with homemade "atomic" limoncello from my uncle and several amari etc). Not that convenient for LHR, but I can see the planes out the window heading for 27L if that is any consolation.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 1:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE

This comes from a woman who when confronted with such a bag actually picked the bag to try and reduce the wretched stuff to cubes that would go in anything smaller than a medium size bucket. I banged the bag and it burst scattering ice all over the galley. Someone of considerable Seniority came into this flood and without missing a beat said "Darling - have your waters broken?". I corpsed and was convulsed with laughter.

This has nothing to do with enviroian 's pet peeves but I had very wet shoes and tights!
CIHY should not talk like that.....
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I have to say that if BA started serving Tito, I might become the actor of some future FT thread on a not-so-pleasant air rage incident! Perfectly ghastly stuff if you ask me. For what it's worth, I also don't think decent vodka should really be mixed with anything (though I will make an exception for a Bloody Mary because I love those anyway...), let alone be served with any ice. It should be kept in the freezer and served straight without any watery stuff to pollute it...

As for US levels of ice, I guess that many of us in Europe just see it as a shameless way for the US F&B industry to save money by making glasses with very little expensive liquid inside to look enormous, thereby justifying pretty outrageous prices for the actual drink quantity... Love asking for "no ice" in my US drinks as staff invariably start panicking as to whether they should make their bar or restaurant lose money on me, or expose how little drink is in fact poured in their regular drinks...
dodgeflyer, strowger and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 1:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by labdoctor
That would be news to a lot of people in Britain.
​​​​​
Anyone who went to secondary school from the 80s onwards has been schooled in metric. I'm 53 and I think in grams and cms, not ounces and inches.
orbitmic, Misco60 and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 1:54 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
We should have a thread My British AIrways Dream Bar CE and CW and send it to them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.