CW Drink pet peeve

Old Mar 25, 2024, 7:27 am

Programs: BAEC
Not having flown long haul since 2020, and even then not ordering spirits, I had no idea BA is serving measures from full size bottles now. My mind is blown.

And, if they are doing it on long haul for ‘environmental reasons’ then why not also on short haul in CE ?
Old Mar 25, 2024, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
So even on a Long Haul flight the service is Do It Yourself from miniatures? Classy. That just sets the tone for AA service.
Au contraire! It allows the passenger to make the drink to their liking rather than someone in the galley with a big bottle and some silly regulator nozzle on it measuring the .8 ounce "double" one gets.

I've been to the UK 100+ times. It still amazes me ice is such a precious commodity.
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 7:37 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
it's also classier to serve from full-size bottles. I've never been to a Michelin-starred restaurant --- or actually any bar or restaurant that serves from minis. (The state of South Carolina in the U.S. used to serve from minis in bars by law, but that was before my time.) I think minis are for convenience in bar carts.
revorgap likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 7:44 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by enviroian
Ciroc is bottom shelf.
I suspect that, from a non-US perspective, the same might be said of a vodka whose predominant flavour is "swetcorn" and retails at an eye-popping premium-brand price of $2.08 for a 5cl miniature ...
Titos Vodka 50ml - 12pk – Internet Wines.com

Old Mar 25, 2024, 7:47 am

Programs: BAEC
It still amazes me ice is such a precious commodity.
its not, we just dont like to drown our drinks with melting ice. One or two cubes in a drink is sufficient.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 7:48 am

I've been to the UK 100+ times. It still amazes me ice is such a precious commodity.
I have lived in the USA for 35 years and whenever I go back to Europe, the minimal serve of ice amazes me!
LCSinTexas and Bellerina like this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 8:37 am

Programs: BA Silver / SQ Sol PPS / KE & EK Nobody!
Au contraire! It allows the passenger to make the drink to their liking rather than someone in the galley with a big bottle and some silly regulator nozzle on it measuring the .8 ounce "double" one gets.

Wait until you start hunting for free refills beyond the confines of the BA plane which delivers you to LHR! They're practically gold dust beyond the US - although my Aussie compatriots seem to be embracing the trend in their ruthless endeavour to become the 51st State...

But in all seriousness, and as has been stated upthread, it's all cultural swings and roundabouts. Of the nine countries I've called home, the US remains the only one where I've been served iced water without exception. Perhaps on a 43C+ summer's day in Dubai ice may accompany a long drink without request, but even back in Oz we tend to turn our nose at the stuff when you could fry an egg on the car bonnet (trunk).

Whatever you do - avoid Hong Kong! I've lost count of the number of debates I've had with older Cantonese restaurateurs in Wan Chai boltholes - all adamant that iced water was bad for you, and insisted the tepid temperature would ease the pain of the 15 Tsingtaos I'd imbibed prior to arrival (or at least that's what I tell myself I remember...!)
SK, EuropeanPete, wrp96 and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 8:44 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Au contraire! It allows the passenger to make the drink to their liking rather

Come now. Ice is available in every supermarket in Britain. People are using a lot more. I know that to my Mother's generation and until comparatively recently people were worried about the quality of the water used in shop bought ice. Me? I used enough to sink the Titanic
someone in the galley with a big bottle and some silly regulator nozzle on it measuring the .8 ounce "double" one gets
Then do as I suggest - BA staff will be happy to let you. Either way - they will be able to gauge how much of it you have drink. I never handed people two minatures. One I would pour in the glass, and the other I would serve on the side. The size of can is much the same all over Europe and I refer it to those big cans but then I prefer quality to quantity.
camdentown likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Come now. Ice is available in every supermarket in Britain. People are using a lot more. I know that to my Mother's generation and until comparatively recently people were worried about the quality of the water used in shop bought ice. Me? I used enough to sink the Titanic

Then do as I suggest - BA staff will be happy to let you. Either way - they will be able to gauge how much of it you have drink. I never handed people two minatures. One I would pour in the glass, and the other I would serve on the side. The size of can is much the same all over Europe and I refer it to those big cans but then I prefer quality to quantity.
I will take your advice on my next flight
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 9:03 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
Putting aside the 100ml of vodka, ice rations and Tito/Ciroc debate. I think the biggest issue youre going to have is the size of the Club World glass. Its not particularly large and by the time you get your 4-6 ice cubs and 100ml of self poured Titos in there, I doubt youll have any space for soda or lemon.

I have to say that this thread has fairly brightened up my day. Chin chin
Old Mar 25, 2024, 9:03 am

Programs: BA Gold
Not a precious commodity. Just one of our many cultural differences. Many, many years ago now, as a student (like so many others), I got a job in a pub. The manager was showing me the ropes - how to pull a pint, mix a cocktail, etc. When it came to long drinks, he told me "2-3 cubes of ice, don't drown the drink." If I tried to give a punter an "American" serving of ice, they would send it back and ask for it to be remade. Americans like a glass crammed full of ice (often small chipped ice) with the drink poured on top; Europeans prefer a few large cubes floating at the top of their drink.
enviroian, orbitmic, bafan and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 9:04 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Avis Preferred
titos is great. but like don julio 1942 in F, it isnt a known brand in the UK.

the only time ive ever said NO MAS to ice is in spain where the cubes are so big you can only manage 1 or 2 in a glass! but at least on BA by this point i ask for more ice if i feel like it but more often than not i think ive accepted stockholm syndrome.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 9:06 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
My rule on BA and in the UK (as an Aussie who has adjusted to living in the US): Double the liquor, double the ice. (Maybe even triple the ice). That said, BA cabin crew are pretty good at giving doubles and multiple drink runs (in CE at least).

And I love those giant Spanish ice cubes!
Cathay1101 and LCSinTexas like this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 9:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum
Arrow

Originally Posted by godfreyb
I have lived in the USA for 35 years and whenever I go back to Europe, the minimal serve of ice amazes me!
Whenever I go to the USA, the excess serve of ice amazes me. You get bewildered reactions if you ask for one or two ice cubes. I want to taste the drink not to have it overwhelmed by ice.

In terms of onboard service, I like the use of miniatures as it allows you to mix a drink to the strength you like. My experience of BA is that they are almost always happy to serve two 50cl bottles if only to save them the trouble of coming back to you.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Ciroc is an expensive, top-ish shelf vodka, but because its made from grapes it does taste really quite different from something like Titos which nowadays is so dominant in the U.S. market (especially if you live on AA and in Admirals lounges).

Personally I literally cant drink Ciroc and really think its well past time for BA to switch it up for something more conventional. I havent disliked a vodka on a plane so much since Ryanair used to sell Bulldog vodka in little plastic bags, and Im still not sure that stuff could legally be sold as being suitable for human consumption.
Id never heard of Titos until I found this thread earlier. I asked around if anyone else knew of Titos and a lawyer friend pointed me to this https://www.thespiritsbusiness.com/2...dmade-settled/
Dont really drink Vodka so cant comment on Titos or Ciroc but I have tried Triple 8 Blueberry vodka (produced on ACK) once which was very nice.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.