CW Drink pet peeve

Old Mar 25, 2024, 4:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by BertieBadger
While accepting we're wildly off topic here, given a UK Imperial pint is 568ml, and a gill is a quarter pint, and therefore 568 / 4 = 142ml, then 1/6 gill is surely 142/6 = ~ 23.7ml, i.e. the English sizes went up surely?

It was the Scots, who traditionally served in either 1/5 gill ( ~28.4ml became 25ml) or 1/4 gill (35.5ml became 35ml) who got the smaller measures.
Indeed, getting my 1/6s and 1/5ths mixed up. Might as well just have a pint and be done with it. (Though a UK pint, not the shortchanged US pint).
Old Mar 25, 2024, 5:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BA or bust

USA measures
  • 1 short shot (also known as a jigger) = 45 millilitres = close to double the size of a UK short
UK measures
  • 1 shot = 25 millilitres (Legal serving of spirits in the UK since 1985).
I think this explains why some people will feel short changed and others a bit woozy after having the same amount of shots!
A proper TIL moment, thanks for sharing that! This will also explain why I used to get so spangled after just four martinis in the US.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 5:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
Okay here it is. When I fly AA over the pond (usual choice -- Y ticket upgraded with system wide cert) I enjoy when I order my go-to drink. I ask for a double Tito's and club soda with lemon. The flight attendant brings me two little Tito bottles, a 12 ounce can of Schweppes club soda, and a glass 3/4 filled with nice big ice cubes.

Last week when I flew CW I asked for the same and the flight attendant appeared bewildered that anyone would ask for a double. Anyway, what I got was a very weak (maybe less than 1 shot) in a glass with 2 ice cubes and room temp soda water. Do BA flight attendants not have the little bottles and what I get is up to the flight attendant to pour? The drink was awful. I don't recall what brand of vodka it was but based on the taste it didn't seem very high standard.
Putting this back OT, Most of this is down to the different approaches on the two sides of the pond, and the cultural ways that have diverged since 1776.

Travelling on AA, the cans of fizzy drinks are always full size. This is I think a good thing for most of the drinks, since having to have two cans for a normal soft drink seems a bit silly if they are the 150ml (and probably incurs more weight on board?). They are however perfect for mixers, since most of Europe don't want the mixer to drown the spirit.

As the standard measure on a European carrier is 50ml, I can see why asking for a double would raise eyebrows, since with the small mixer can that would be a very strong drink!!.
The ice that's always added to US carriers drinks also waters down the drink, so in the end, one AA drink makes about 3 BA drinks, but the BA ones would be slightly stronger.

I tend to look at the different approaches along the lines of how much do I want to drink. Do I want effectively 6 times what I'd get in a pub, or just the two?. I ask for a small drink on AA if I don't want the big gulp drink.

I'm not a vodka drinker, but like rum. The way the spirit is made and its ingredients makes a huge difference to the taste. Titos and Ciroc would I expect be very different, like the difference between a Woods Navy Rum and Bacardi Carta Blanca. One I like, and one I don't. YMMV
Old Mar 25, 2024, 5:15 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Avis Preferred
while this seems odd given the OP travels a bit between the two countries...but while i can always ask for more booze or ice, i cannot get proper club soda on BA and sometimes get an odd look when asking for sparkling water--a poor under-bubbled substitute but one i have managed, SOMEHOW, to live with.

and yes, dont go down the rabbit hole of weights and measures, i was already admonished on a different thread when posting about differences of air pressure at altitude on a pack of crisps 😂😂😂
Old Mar 25, 2024, 5:33 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Ciroc is an expensive, top-ish shelf vodka, but because its made from grapes it does taste really quite different from something like Titos which nowadays is so dominant in the U.S. market (especially if you live on AA and in Admirals lounges).

Personally I literally cant drink Ciroc and really think its well past time for BA to switch it up for something more conventional. I havent disliked a vodka on a plane so much since Ryanair used to sell Bulldog vodka in little plastic bags, and Im still not sure that stuff could legally be sold as being suitable for human consumption.
RockyRobin likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 5:40 am

Programs: QF, TK, VA, SQ
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Ryanair used to sell Bulldog vodka in little plastic bags, and Im still not sure that stuff could legally be sold as being suitable for human consumption.
That sounds awful!

Personally I'm quite a fan of Ciroc (would be my preference over Titos for sure); but we're well into personal taste/preference territory here. Will be flying AA international for the first time at the weekend so will be interested to see how it compares to the BA experience.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 5:45 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Okay here it is. When I fly AA over the pond (usual choice -- Y ticket upgraded with system wide cert) I enjoy when I order my go-to drink. I ask for a double Tito's and club soda with lemon.
I had no idea what Toto's was - I do not drink Vodka. Indeed, I rarely drink spirits in flight as I find that it goes to my head.

The flight attendant brings me two little Tito bottles, a 12 ounce can of Schweppes club soda, and a glass 3/4 filled with nice big ice cubes.
So even on a Long Haul flight the service is Do It Yourself from miniatures? Classy. That just sets the tone for AA service. They serve wines and apparently were not giving lists of line and then said "We have red and white" Didn't have a clue. This is fine for Domestic or any Short Haul flights as BA fly. However, they are trying to raise the standards and so each drink is poured individually, Personally I like the service but you cannot please everyone. When I do drink spirits I find that the double shot with a 150cl makes the perfect G&T. BA also do Slimline - I do not thing that AA or many other carriers do.

My Pet Peeve on AA is serving Champagne in tumblers or should I say "Bubbles" as it could be anything from what I see.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by VSLover
while this seems odd given the OP travels a bit between the two countries...but while i can always ask for more booze or ice, i cannot get proper club soda on BA and sometimes get an odd look when asking for sparkling water--a poor under-bubbled substitute but one i have managed, SOMEHOW, to live with.
BA bars typically include both sparkling water and cans of soda water. The latter aren’t popular so you may need to specify if that’s what you want.
camdentown likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 5:54 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Confus
BA bars typically include both sparkling water and cans of soda water. The latter arent popular so you may need to specify if thats what you want.
great to know! it was years ago when i would request and was told they did not carry so never bothered asking again since! will definitely try on thursday thanks
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Soda water often gets missed in the bar as the can isn’t easily distinguishable from above in the bar draws.
BA or bust, VSLover and camdentown like this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 6:13 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by VSLover
great to know! it was years ago when i would request and was told they did not carry so never bothered asking again since! will definitely try on thursday thanks
I was in the same situation until someone on here told me a couple of weeks ago. I'll be on the hunt when I'm flying later this week.
VSLover likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
I’ll just bring the Tito’s minis with me next time. Will the fight attendant have an issue? Hopefully I can get a proper can of club soda and more than 2 cubes of ice.
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 6:59 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I’ll just bring the Tito’s minis with me next time. Will the fight attendant have an issue? Hopefully I can get a proper can of club soda and more than 2 cubes of ice.
Why do you not ask them for two glasses of vodka and two cans of soda and to fill the glass up to the brim with ice - or bring you a separate glass of ice? I am sure that if you ask nicely they will be more than happy to do so.

You should not bring and pour your own.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 7:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

First I've ever heard of Tito. I had assumed it was tequila the OP was on about rather than vodka.
As for ice.....one lump or two does me.
bafan and RockyRobin like this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 7:22 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Ill just bring the Titos minis with me next time. Will the fight attendant have an issue?
BA Crew should be fine with this, as long as you're not drunk or anything.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.