CW Drink pet peeve

Old Mar 25, 2024, 12:56 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Interesting thread, since I am not a vodka drinker… I had never heard of Titos. Must have lead a sheltered life!

But I can assist by spelling out the different measures, which I hope readers will find useful. I think much of the issue raised is that we are divided by a common language!

USA measures
  • 1 short shot (also known as a jigger) = 45 millilitres = close to double the size of a UK short
UK measures
  • 1 shot = 25 millilitres (Legal serving of spirits in the UK since 1985).
I think this explains why some people will feel short changed… and others a bit woozy after having the ‘same’ amount of shots!
jamiel, SK, HIDDY and 5 others like this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 12:59 am

Programs: BA; IHG; LHW; Hilton
Originally Posted by chrisny2
waste from international inbound aircraft is often incinerated for agricultural protection reasons.
That makes sense
Old Mar 25, 2024, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chrisny2
For what it's worth, plastic mini bottles aren't easily recycled from aircraft: they are small enough that single-stream recycling plants can't easily sort them, so they often end up landfilled, and more relevant, waste from international inbound aircraft is often incinerated for agricultural protection reasons.
and also even if they can be recycled there is a limit to what the plastic can be used for, for a raft of reasons from technical performance to product safety. The key to reducing plastic usage is changing consumer behaviour not leaning on recycling as a silver bullet.

Last edited by Swanhunter; Mar 25, 2024 at 2:46 am
Old Mar 25, 2024, 1:49 am

Programs: BA Silver, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Do they have spirit measures in the Club galley or are crew free pouring and just guessing how much to serve.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
The bottles have nozzles that pour out a double measure.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 2:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by BA or bust
Interesting thread, since I am not a vodka drinker I had never heard of Titos. Must have lead a sheltered life!

But I can assist by spelling out the different measures, which I hope readers will find useful. I think much of the issue raised is that we are divided by a common language!

USA measures
  • 1 short shot (also known as a jigger) = 45 millilitres = close to double the size of a UK short
UK measures
  • 1 shot = 25 millilitres (Legal serving of spirits in the UK since 1985).
I think this explains why some people will feel short changed and others a bit woozy after having the same amount of shots!
They do of course get their own back with their 16oz pints (UK pints are 20oz, for those who don't know).
BA or bust and chrismk like this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 2:40 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by kdhurst380

UK measures are 25ml single, 50ml double.
That's a very Anglo-centric view of what constitutes the U.K.!

In the civilised parts, a standard measure is 35ml, double 70ml.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 2:50 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Can I help you
The bottles have nozzles that pour out a double measure.
I was pleased to see that the bottles in the lounge now have a measure. I like to know what I'm imbibing and can be a bit heavy handed otherwise.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 3:08 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
Okay here it is. When I fly AA over the pond (usual choice -- Y ticket upgraded with system wide cert) I enjoy when I order my go-to drink. I ask for a double Tito's and club soda with lemon. The flight attendant brings me two little Tito bottles, a 12 ounce can of Schweppes club soda, and a glass 3/4 filled with nice big ice cubes.

Last week when I flew CW I asked for the same and the flight attendant appeared bewildered that anyone would ask for a double. Anyway, what I got was a very weak (maybe less than 1 shot) in a glass with 2 ice cubes and room temp soda water. Do BA flight attendants not have the little bottles and what I get is up to the flight attendant to pour? The drink was awful. I don't recall what brand of vodka it was but based on the taste it didn't seem very high standard.
If you fly ‘over the pond’ how have you managed when you arrive. It can’t have escaped your attention that the USA uses ice in quantities that much of Western Europe, and certainly not the UK doesn’t. You must have noticed the metric system surely? 2 ounces 😏

To be clear, I’m not saying this side is better, I’m just saying it’s different. As a complete aside every time I read one of those studies analysing the impurities in commercial ice, and the word faecal appears, I'm glad there’s less.
flygirl68 and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 3:34 am

Programs: QF Gold
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
​​​
Virgin did a case study a few years ago whereby they calculated a significant fuel (cash) saving by just offloading the empty pre departure champagne bottles before they close the doors. Sure, for one flight it's an insignificant saving but over the course of every departure in a calendar year, I can see why they choose to do that.

​​​​
Should invest in some Environmental Impact posters at the gate urging customers to go piss in the terminal as it will save 10 trees if the whole plane does it before the flight.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by davem4
Should invest in some Environmental Impact posters at the gate urging customers to go piss in the terminal as it will save 10 trees if the whole plane does it before the flight.
Yes, latrines at the boarding gate should be compulsory
catmndu and Cathay1101 like this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 4:00 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by Scots_Al

Ha! Good point.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 4:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Scots_Al

Both 25 & 50ml, and 35ml and 70ml measures are legal in the UK as a whole. A measure used to be 1/6 gill in England and 1/5 gill in most of the rest of the UK, and England got stiffed as most places went to 25ml, which is less than the 28.7ml in 1/6 gill.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 4:36 am

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
Originally Posted by Horatio
They do of course get their own back with their 16oz pints (UK pints are 20oz, for those who don't know).
What not a lot of people know is that US fluid ounces are different from Imperial fluid ounces.... 1 US fl.oz. is about 4% bigger than the Imperial fl.oz. This stems from the US gallon being 0.833 Imp gallon, and keeping to the useful convention that there are 8 pints in a gallon then a US pint would be 16.66 Imp fl.oz

Still a very short measure.
EuropeanPete and Horatio like this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 4:36 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by SpurMan
Both 25 & 50ml, and 35ml and 70ml measures are legal in the UK as a whole. A measure used to be 1/6 gill in England and 1/5 gill in most of the rest of the UK, and England got stiffed as most places went to 25ml, which is less than the 28.7ml in 1/6 gill.
While accepting we're wildly off topic here, given a UK Imperial pint is 568ml, and a gill is a quarter pint, and therefore 568 / 4 = 142ml, then 1/6 gill is surely 142/6 = ~ 23.7ml, i.e. the English sizes went up surely?

It was the Scots, who traditionally served in either 1/5 gill ( ~28.4ml became 25ml) or 1/4 gill (35.5ml became 35ml) who got the smaller measures.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.