My journey to Gold

Old Mar 21, 2024, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold; ITA Platinum; HH Gold
My journey to Gold

Yesterday, I became BA Gold (from Bronze) for the first time in about 7 years. Here's how I did it (From November 2023 to March 2024)

The Basics
My tier point year starts in November. I have family in Ireland and used BAH for a quite a few flight and car hire 5 day trips to coincide with family events. I had some spare time to some weekend trips as well over the last few months.

The trips - mainly CE trips.
  1. 5 x 5 day BAH flight and car hire LHR/LCY to DUB - generating a total of 800 tier points. Each trip cost between 200 to 240 and usually used 3,000 avios to reduce further by 30. For each trip, I generated approx 1,500 avios (1k flight, 250 BAH bonus, 250 from avis). All the double tier points credited around 2 weeks after the trip.
  2. 3 return trips from LHR to SOF. 2 paid returns, 1 single and 1 avios flight. Generating a total of 400 tier points - all paid flights were between 211 and 245 on a return basis. 2 B2B and 1 weekend stay in Sofia - I stayed at the Intercontinental and with my amex platinum benefitted from the 4pm checkout and $100 spend in the restaurant - excellent beef!
  3. 1 weekend trip to Tirana. 160 tier points. 270. BA flight operated by excellent Finnair crew. 2 days in Tirana was plenty of time and stayed at the reasonably priced Hotel Opera (opposite the under-construction Intercontinental) - approx €60 a night for a junior suite. Great Greek and Italian food in Tirana.
  4. Overnight in Aberdeen. 120 tier points; 220. I positioned to JER (5 tier points). I flew JER-ABZ (overnight) - LHR. I stayed at the Moxy hotel at the airport for 45 on a very cold February Saturday.
  5. A few work euro traveller trips which earned 5-10 tier points each
What's next
Under the new regime, if I do nothing, I have Gold until the end of next year, which will be useful as I travel 1/2 a month for work. I am flying this weekend from T5 and looking forward to re-using the FW. I have a few city trips planned from T3 destinations (looking forward to Cathay's First lounge) and have been able to use the extra availability today for Gold members to get some avios availability with decent times. In addition, I have a few work trips planned to Asia and Middle East in the coming months, hoping to try out the HK and Doha lounges!

Thanks for reading and maybe or not, I will get a GCH welcome on my next flight!

EDIT - I forgot to mention. The service on the flights was generally pretty good. Very good food on the SOF flights; The CE "snack" on LHR-DUB flights (mini salmon bagel anyone!) is typically forgettable but top marks for the dessert. I usually boarded last and was typically sat in 3A! I have a particular fondess for the T3 lounges - Cathay and Qantas in particular and decent cocktails in the Amex lounge.
crazy8534, CoweyB, Jpm81 and 15 others like this.

Last edited by walmon1977; Mar 21, 2024 at 11:54 am Reason: adding additional information
Old Mar 21, 2024, 9:37 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Welcome to the addiction!
Old Mar 21, 2024, 9:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
That's a pretty neat way to get there.

The BAH double TP offer and the Amex TPs make it remarkably easy....I renewed Gold just today (with more than half my year left to run) - I couldn't work out how I had got there so quickly, but 200 TPs from the Amex deal, one BAH to Eastern Med (320 TPs) and two US trips in Club World (with one of them being a BAH for double TPs) and that was basically me done (plus a few short-haul trips).

Getting to Gold not even half way through the year and with basically one "Club Europe" family holiday and 2 work trips to the US seems a bit too easy...
walmon1977 and BA or bust like this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 11:08 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by BAGoldGermany
Yeah, you British Folks have it very easy.

But never mind.
You do have the invaluable benefit of still being EU citizens!

Id happily give up BA Gold to get my EU passport back!
Old Mar 21, 2024, 11:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by walmon1977
In addition, I have a few work trips planned to Asia and Middle East in the coming months, hoping to try out the HK and Doha lounges!
I had the pleasure of 10 hours in Hong Kong, and I made excellent use of my time there!

I started at the CX F Wing. This lounge is right behind Check in Zone A past security. The food was lovely, and my glass never went below half empty. A very calm and quiet lounge to get warmed up!

Next up, we strolled over to the Qantas lounge on the same level which was much more lively.

We then headed over to the Cathay F Pier - which is down by Gate 63. This lounge was empty, but my god it was amazing! We had a day room to lie down after a lot of champagne. The dining options were far superior here.

After 3 hours here, and countless Espresso martinis, we headed back to the F Wing Lounge as our flight was departing from a nearby gate.

Overall a very successful lounge crawl in Hong Kong. This was finished off by an operation upgrade as the cabins were all oversold. That was a welcome surprise and perk of being OWE Emerald.

*We didn't make it to the the CX Deck lounge, but hopefully didn't miss out on too much.

Enjoy your time in the Far East, and safe flying!
Old Mar 21, 2024, 11:54 am

Thanks to some careful car hiring I am sitting at 1420 points (was Blue this time last year).
Going to run a half marathon in Ibiza at the end of April which will grab me the other 80 points and push me to Gold. Plus I get to fly out of LCY which is just so pleasant.
Spent a few years sitting as CX Gold (oneworld saph) so getting to Oneworld emerald will be a new milestone.

Won't really be chasing gold renewal unless my travel plans for work are seriously upgraded.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 12:14 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Well, what should I say? I always hoped back those Days, that the UK remains "with us", but unfortunately, most of your Country's Citizens didn't want that.... I wish it wasn't like that, as I do really love the UK and it's People very much.
You can still come here. Our e-gates are open, and hopefully yours will be soon.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 12:44 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Haha, I usem them quiet often! Thank you.
Why shouldn't "ours" be open as well?
Well indeed.
Horatio likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 12:59 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Well, what should I say? I always hoped back those Days, that the UK remains "with us", but unfortunately, most of your Country's Citizens didn't want that.... I wish it wasn't like that, as I do really love the UK and it's People very much.
Ah Bless! For a while my husband was en secondment and we were based in Berlin. It was the year when Pietro Lombardi won DSDS. I was actually able to become a Eurocheat with our German address and got my Gold for loads less Tier Points back then. They were two of the happiest years of my life and I could happily live in Berlin.

My Gold is far more prosaicaly gained these days with that anomoly wiped. We travelled twice to the USA and flew internally with American (not anything like as good as it used to be) and thankfully Alaska is onboard and they are cheaper and so friendly in the main. Iberia were my big top up as we went to Cairo with them and got 140 points each way as it was over 2,000. I checked that with the Boffins here. I have to say that I have been extremely impressed with them on board . We pass the Spring and the Autumn in Alicante and so we can fly from Nantes to Madrid and onwards to Alicante - complete with our dog in the cabin with us, When we are there it is so easy to come to the UK to see dentists and other Big Girl stuff. On top of that we flew LIS to see friends in Cascais, BLQ to see a very old friend in Padova, and a few CDGs, and ARN to see the Vasa and the ABBA museum,

Soon they will be no more but there are over 1500 so I remain Flouging for another year.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 2:31 pm

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by SaltyPaprika
I had the pleasure of 10 hours in Hong Kong, and I made excellent use of my time there!

I started at the CX F Wing… and my glass never went below half empty.

We had a day room to lie down after a lot of champagne.

After 3 hours here, and countless Espresso martinis,
Well done SaltyPaprika! After all those drinkies I am amazed you actually made it onto you flight!
DeathSlam likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 4:43 pm

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Yesterday, I became BA Gold (from Bronze) for the first time in about 7 years. Here's how I did it (From November 2023 to March 2024)

The Basics
My tier point year starts in November. I have family in Ireland and used BAH for a quite a few flight and car hire 5 day trips to coincide with family events. I had some spare time to some weekend trips as well over the last few months.

The trips - mainly CE trips.
  1. 5 x 5 day BAH flight and car hire LHR/LCY to DUB - generating a total of 800 tier points. Each trip cost between 200 to 240 and usually used 3,000 avios to reduce further by 30. For each trip, I generated approx 1,500 avios (1k flight, 250 BAH bonus, 250 from avis). All the double tier points credited around 2 weeks after the trip.
  2. 3 return trips from LHR to SOF. 2 paid returns, 1 single and 1 avios flight. Generating a total of 400 tier points - all paid flights were between 211 and 245 on a return basis. 2 B2B and 1 weekend stay in Sofia - I stayed at the Intercontinental and with my amex platinum benefitted from the 4pm checkout and $100 spend in the restaurant - excellent beef!
  3. 1 weekend trip to Tirana. 160 tier points. 270. BA flight operated by excellent Finnair crew. 2 days in Tirana was plenty of time and stayed at the reasonably priced Hotel Opera (opposite the under-construction Intercontinental) - approx 60 a night for a junior suite. Great Greek and Italian food in Tirana.
  4. Overnight in Aberdeen. 120 tier points; 220. I positioned to JER (5 tier points). I flew JER-ABZ (overnight) - LHR. I stayed at the Moxy hotel at the airport for 45 on a very cold February Saturday.
  5. A few work euro traveller trips which earned 5-10 tier points each
What's next
Under the new regime, if I do nothing, I have Gold until the end of next year, which will be useful as I travel 1/2 a month for work. I am flying this weekend from T5 and looking forward to re-using the FW. I have a few city trips planned from T3 destinations (looking forward to Cathay's First lounge) and have been able to use the extra availability today for Gold members to get some avios availability with decent times. In addition, I have a few work trips planned to Asia and Middle East in the coming months, hoping to try out the HK and Doha lounges!

Thanks for reading and maybe or not, I will get a GCH welcome on my next flight!

EDIT - I forgot to mention. The service on the flights was generally pretty good. Very good food on the SOF flights; The CE "snack" on LHR-DUB flights (mini salmon bagel anyone!) is typically forgettable but top marks for the dessert. I usually boarded last and was typically sat in 3A! I have a particular fondess for the T3 lounges - Cathay and Qantas in particular and decent cocktails in the Amex lounge.
Easy to do this for less

Gold "welcome" are pointless now they can't give you drinks

T3 lounges are dull
Old Mar 21, 2024, 5:33 pm

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Congratulations. 3 BAHs (not exactly engineered, more 'augmented') will do it for me, but everyone has their own story.

Some nutter apparently wants to do 9 b2bs to Sofia. Another has proposed a single GGL routing (well ok, renewal, and even then not quite...)

Luckily enough, there are still a few sane people on this forum.

Wibble.

ETA, blimey, I just saw the "1900 points in 5 days" thread. What is this, crazy week?
Old Mar 21, 2024, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PGberkshire
Easy to do this for less

Gold "welcome" are pointless now they can't give you drinks

T3 lounges are dull
Certainly, I could have done it cheaper. There are so many choices. However, aside from the 2 B2B in Sofia and the trip to Aberdeen, all the other trips were personal trips I was going to take or places I wanted to visit.
I have seen most of the US and done DUB to HNL runs in the past. Like everything on this site YMMV.

I think we'll agree to disagree on the T3 lounges. I find the variety far more interesting in T3 compared to T5.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 3:34 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald), TK Elite (*A Gold)
Certainly, I could have done it cheaper. There are so many choices.
I make that no more than 2,500, which I don't think is too bad, given you're being 'purposeful' along the way - I'm intrigued how it could be done for significantly less. I'm planning my main renewal flight next year and looking at 1,280 TPs for 2,900.
walmon1977 likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 9:07 am
Original Poster

I have just taken my first flight since becoming Gold.
I got my GCH welcome but ended up being the last passenger to be served a drink even though I was seated in 3A :-) (7/8 rows of CE) I have a double barreled surname, which most people usually say wrong, but she got it spot on, so I guess that's something.
First Wing security was a breeze. Nice quiet First Class Lounge and good food and drinks options. Interesting clientele - feet on tables and one passenger leisurely clipping his fingernails!.
DeathSlam likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.