Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bags must go to final destination 2024 version

Bags must go to final destination 2024 version

Old May 13, 2024, 4:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
​​​​​​In your sleep deprived state you might have packed some essential medication in your checked bag. This will require you to ask for it back at LHR. You'd just need to go the bag services desk in arrivals as you've mentioned.
Just as a data point...I explained what had happened to baggage services and was happily told that it would be intercepted, but would be 30 mins minimum...no worries I thought.

15 whole minutes later it turned up as promised on carousel 11...BEFORE the last bags had even arrived at the designated carousel.

Superb!
Old May 13, 2024, 5:08 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
AA are tough on this to the point of being blind. Week before last I flew SAN-MIA(AA)-LHR(BA)//LGW-SVQ. I checked in bags and when he said Seville, I just responded “bag only to LHR please”. He did not respond but was typing madly for a couple of minutes before I asked him if he was trying to check the bag to Seville. “Yes” he said. Well, I asked him how he would get my bag from Heathrow to Gatwick airports without my intervention, before it dawned on him it wasn’t possible. He was really miffed at having to give me what I asked. Customer service is neither as courteous nor well-trained as it once was.
Old May 13, 2024, 7:56 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
AA are tough on this to the point of being blind.
I find some AAgents actually take pleasure in refusing to short check bags.

Flagship F check in desk staff are usually a lot more amenable to requests like this.
Old May 14, 2024, 1:44 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
AA are tough on this to the point of being blind. Week before last I flew SAN-MIA(AA)-LHR(BA)//LGW-SVQ. I checked in bags and when he said Seville, I just responded “bag only to LHR please”. He did not respond but was typing madly for a couple of minutes before I asked him if he was trying to check the bag to Seville. “Yes” he said. Well, I asked him how he would get my bag from Heathrow to Gatwick airports without my intervention, before it dawned on him it wasn’t possible. He was really miffed at having to give me what I asked. Customer service is neither as courteous nor well-trained as it once was.
HNL LAX LHR BUD

No issue retrieving bags in LAX for a stop of 18 hours but when checking in the next day to LHR I got the full treatment. Bag was going to BUD and nothing was going to change any minds. Even at one point being told I’d have to purchase a new ticket if I wanted the bag to LHR. They might as well employ Chat GPT as it is impossible to have a rationale discussion. They were rude, unpleasant and utterly devoid of common sense.
thankfully the T3 baggage team were outstanding and got my bag back inside of 30 minutes
Old May 14, 2024, 1:52 am

Programs: BA Gold
I posted on this in a separate (old) thread yesterday, but if it helps ease any minds; for context, I had an LAX-JFK-LHR-OSL (with overnight connection in LHR). Got what seems to be the standard AA unhelpful response in LAX when asking if the bags could be short checked to London. Absolutely not, how dare you, etc etc. Then we were (wrongly) told we could pick them up in London anyway. Text from my original post below:

I spoke to the IFM on the JFK-LHR leg and she sent a Teams message to the ground with our baggage receipt numbers and they said they could return the bags if we went to the customer service desk. We went to the T5 desk in baggage claim, the helpful lady there spoke to someone else who said we’d have to go to T3 as our connecting flight the next day goes from there. That actually was ideal as we needed to go to T3 anyway as that’s where our car was parked, and it saved us lugging the bags on the train. At T3 we used the phone by Excess Baggage to speak to BA, and yet another helpful person came to get me and take me back airside through the Secret Heathrow Back Passage. He waited with me by the belt and the bags turned up within about ten minutes.

This may well be an exceptionally good result and more than a little lucky, but we had our bags back in just over an hour from leaving the plane. Excellent work from all concerned and I’ll be putting in some very good feedback on the website!
the-doctor and LCSinTexas like this.

Last edited by golfmad; May 14, 2024 at 3:09 am Reason: Fixed white font on white background for non dark mode users
Old May 14, 2024, 3:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
How delicious though.
strowger, Tafflyer and DelTroon like this.
Old May 14, 2024, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by binman
HNL LAX LHR BUD

No issue retrieving bags in LAX for a stop of 18 hours
To note, because you were checking in with AA, you were bound by their luggage rules. AA won't check through on connections over 16.5 hours (used to only be 12), so even if you had wanted to check your bag through all the way at HNL you would've only been allowed to check it to LAX because of that 18 hour layover.
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2024, 9:20 am

Hi,
i have booked following returnflight back from the US with BA:
LAS-LAX (op. by AS day1) LAX-LHR (op by AA day 1) LHR-STR (BA day 2) LHR-BCN (BA day 3).
STR-LHR is a surface sector
Does my baggage follow me on every flight?
Or will it be stored at LHR at day 2 for the flight to BCN at day 3?

Thank you!
Old Jul 16, 2024, 9:25 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
even if this is one booking, your bag will be checked to STR where you will have to pick it up and then re-check at LHR on day 3
STR-LASflyer and DeathSlam like this.
Old Jul 16, 2024, 12:29 pm

Programs: BAEC GGLfL
I gave up trying to argue with AAgents on short-checking bags prior to the pandemic. Life too short. And yes, many delight in telling you that it is not possible in a tone that is clearly intended to suggest that you are trying to perpetrate some enormous fraud. It is too tiresome. It's the same attitude often demonstrated by the AA staff who delight in denying access to the Chelsea Lounge (frequently wrongly).

If I know that I am planning to retrieve the bags at LHR, I will try to plan accordingly (either by booking an overnight LHR connection or by transferring to LCY/LGW). If my plans change, and if time allows, I just get the bags pulled at LHR. I am not in the habit of dropping the final sectors of bookings, but sometimes I would rather do the last sector sans baggages.

AA's front line customer service too often leaves a lot to be desired.
dougzz and bisonrav like this.
Old Jul 16, 2024, 9:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold / AC 75K / ALL Diamond
Data point - I successfully short-checked today. My itinerary is YVR-LHR-AMS with a ~2 hour connection, but my bags are only going to LHR - I will leave them at left luggage for the night.
Old Jul 17, 2024, 1:27 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by STR-LASflyer
Hi,
i have booked following returnflight back from the US with BA:
LAS-LAX (op. by AS day1) LAX-LHR (op by AA day 1) LHR-STR (BA day 2) LHR-BCN (BA day 3).
STR-LHR is a surface sector
Does my baggage follow me on every flight?
Or will it be stored at LHR at day 2 for the flight to BCN at day 3?

Thank you!
Originally Posted by KARFA
even if this is one booking, your bag will be checked to STR where you will have to pick it up and then re-check at LHR on day 3
Yes, to expand on this - your position is slightly different from others in this thread in that it's logistically impossible to tag a bag through the same airport twice (baggage handling systems would understandably get pretty confused as to what part of your journey you were on). Consequently, you would need a new bag tag which you'd get when re-checking for your LHR-BCN flight on Day 3.
STR-LASflyer, KARFA and DeathSlam like this.
Old Jul 17, 2024, 1:42 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Finland Station
I gave up trying to argue with AAgents on short-checking bags prior to the pandemic. Life too short. And yes, many delight in telling you that it is not possible in a tone that is clearly intended to suggest that you are trying to perpetrate some enormous fraud. It is too tiresome. It's the same attitude often demonstrated by the AA staff who delight in denying access to the Chelsea Lounge (frequently wrongly).

If I know that I am planning to retrieve the bags at LHR, I will try to plan accordingly (either by booking an overnight LHR connection or by transferring to LCY/LGW). If my plans change, and if time allows, I just get the bags pulled at LHR. I am not in the habit of dropping the final sectors of bookings, but sometimes I would rather do the last sector sans baggages.

AA's front line customer service too often leaves a lot to be desired.
On a TPA-MIA-LHR/LCY-DUB a year or so back the AA agent in TPA refused to check my bag to LHR, said it had to go to final destination. I tried to explain but was ignored as he furiously tapped at keyboard. Eventually called over a supervisor who explained to him, he appeared to take it really personally. Seemed very odd when only the initial leg was on AA, but it does sometimes feel that AA agents are more invested in hindering short checking than the airline.

It seems very contrary to the cabin crew who are frequently accused of being deliberately lazy and strongly disliking their employers over on the AA thread. But then I guess if you’re disgruntled with your job you just want everyone to have a bad day too.
Old Jul 17, 2024, 2:03 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by dougzz
It seems very contrary to the cabin crew who are frequently accused of being deliberately lazy and strongly disliking their employers over on the AA thread. But then I guess if you’re disgruntled with your job you just want everyone to have a bad day too.
I doubt it's that, it is just the issue of Hidden City pricing is brought down to the training of agents in the USA quite forcefully and they simply won't have in their mental map that BA has 4 airports in one city. It's not that unusual, so AA does have LGA / EWR / JFK transfers (plus the 3 Bay airports) but the sheer pain of these transfers is much worse than LHR-LCY with a single station change (and we still moan at the lost opportunity on the Elizabeth line there). So it wouldn't surprise me if a TPA based agent sees very few checked bags going via 2 airports in the same city. So I don't think it's personal, it's just they are told "don't short check, some passengers are scamming us".
dougzz and bisonrav like this.
Old Jul 17, 2024, 4:24 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
It’s just so tiresome. Even when the rules state that the passenger should travel as booked, doesn’t mean that said passenger’s baggage must. It’s quite valid for me to connect to LHR-XXX while I collect my baggage at LHR. It also has nothing to do with the check-in agent if I choose to do this.

But then if I have a separate booking LHR-XXX and do want my baggage transferred, the same agent would refuse. Such hypocrisy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.