Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Baggage reclaim issues at T5 today Feb 29 afternoon

Old Feb 29, 2024, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

Its 2pm now. Been waiting an hour and no sign of bags. My AirTag shows my bag is still at the aircraft at the B gates

Most other carousels have crowds around with no bags.

Someone made an announcement that they were busy and apologised!

Shouldve carried my bag on board
Old Feb 29, 2024, 8:01 am

Programs: BA GGL
BA IT obviously cannot handle a leap year.
mrandery, richeast, wrp96 and 5 others like this.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 8:08 am
Original Poster

And of course theres no one here who can tell you anything about how long one should expect to wait.

3 flights now waiting at my carousel
Old Feb 29, 2024, 8:47 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
Have they had the PAs telling people that they should consider going home and they'll deliver the bags to them?
Old Feb 29, 2024, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I found the PAs totally inaudible when I spent 2:30hrs waiting for bags in December. Never again !!
Old Feb 29, 2024, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Just had a 75 minute wait for my bags from SFO. It was a thoroughly enjoyable flight with good crew and adequate food but the whole experience is ruined by the shambolic app check in experience and the shambolic T5 arrival experience.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bohinjska Bistrica
Have they had the PAs telling people that they should consider going home and they'll deliver the bags to them?
There were a few PAs. One said they were having "logistical issues", whatever that means in a system that is entirely about logistics. Another one a few minutes later apologized and said they were "overloaded".

They said the system was running 45 min late when in fact they were about twice as bad.

Nothing about going home though, as I guess they were delivering the bags about 1.5 hrs late.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 9:45 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by mrandery
Nothing about going home though, as I guess they were delivering the bags about 1.5 hrs late.
That seems to be the cut-off, if they know bags are going to be that late they offer to send them on, there are some self-serve PC points by the desk where you can enter your details. If you have (e.g.) a train reservation to get to then it wouldn't be unusual to give up before that point, particularly if the aircraft was already late, or it is late at night.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 9:46 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
And this is a reminder (if ever there was one needed) why people don't want to check in their bags. It is not, as some say, a case of adding on a few minutes to your journey, it is often a case of adding on a very large number of minutes to your journey and sometimes, as is the case here, several hours.

Most people don't have that time to play with and even if they did I fully undrstand that most (normal) people would prefer not to spend their spare time in a baggae reclaim hall.

BA really need to get a handle on this. It's a poor state of affairs.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
And this is a reminder (if ever there was one needed) why people don't want to check in their bags. It is not, as some say, a case of adding on a few minutes to your journey, it is often a case of adding on a very large number of minutes to your journey and sometimes, as is the case here, several hours.

Most people don't have that time to play with and even if they did I fully undrstand that most (normal) people would prefer not to spend their spare time in a baggae reclaim hall.

Exactly. Consider the flight from Zurich that landed just before mine. The passengers spent more time in the reclaim hall than on the plane.

And in my case, spending 1.5 hrs there after a 10hr flight was not fun.
Lefly likes this.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
To be fair, to add a little balance, my worst recent bag reclaim experience was at JFK in January. Landed, quickly through immigration and the entire plane was through and waiting before the first bag arrived. My 'priority' bags (I was travelling in F) were delivered about half way through and long after many economy bags. Was well over an hour from getting through immigration.

In comparison, when I returned to LHR the bags arrived within about 15 minutes of reaching the carousel.
BA or bust likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.