Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Change [false alarm] to BA lounge access policy for accompanied minors with status

Change [false alarm] to BA lounge access policy for accompanied minors with status

Old Feb 17, 2024, 1:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci

I was told by someone who works for BA that there has been a change to the lounge access policy manual in that BA will no longer allow a child (<18 years old) with status to access a lounge where the accompanying adult would not have lounge access themselves.
(i.e. a child SCH couldn't guest in another passenger on an economy flight.)
I can't confirm this but the person who relayed the information said that when they checked the eManual it seems to have been updated very recently.
It apparently says something like: Under 18s are not permitted into lounges unless accompanied by an adult who also holds their own lounge eligibility. They cannot guest an adult into the lounge with them.

The OW rules are slightly different and more relaxed it seems:
Infants under 2 years will not be counted as a guest when travelling with an eligible adult customer. Children travelling as a unaccompanied minor (aged between 2 and 11 years) who are eligible for lounge access, must be accompanied by an adult who will be counted as their guest. Children travelling as a young passenger (YP aged between 12 and 17 years), who are eligible for lounge access do not require an accompanying adult (Note: Subject to local licensing laws; in Japan the ages are 12-19 years).

I just wondered if anyone had any information on this or any recent experience of children guesting in adults?
Old Feb 17, 2024, 1:35 am

Thatís a pretty large devaluation to BA Executive Club status and the BA First product to restrict guesting rights?

Until BA communicates this it wonít affect existing tickets of course which will be difficult for them to apply effectively.
DocS and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 1:41 am

Doesn't BA have to comply with OW rules?
Old Feb 17, 2024, 1:55 am

Iím sure this would upset a few people if true.

I think itíd be more likely to have an impact on families where one of the adults does have lounge access, but they are relying on the childís guesting rights to get e.g. the fourth family member into the lounge.

Maybe that would still be allowed and itís only if no adult in the group has access that it would be a no?
Old Feb 17, 2024, 2:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by rugby23
Thatís a pretty large devaluation to BA Executive Club status and the BA First product to restrict guesting rights?

Until BA communicates this it wonít affect existing tickets of course which will be difficult for them to apply effectively.
A pretty large devaluation? Is it that common for minors to be travelling with adults who themselves don't have status? I'm questioning out of curiosity.
Dan72, gms, djsflynn and 5 others like this.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 2:39 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by TedToToe
A pretty large devaluation? Is it that common for minors to be travelling with adults who themselves don't have status? I'm questioning out of curiosity.
With BAEC years currently not aligning, it can be that some members of a family have qualified for status at a different time to others.
DocS likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 2:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
This may indeed be a thing that is being introduced. There's a recent post on the BA reddit page showing a picture of a boarding pass of an 14 year old "Emerald" with the words "No Lounge" and "14 years old" handwritten on it.
BearX220, crazy8534 and rugby23 like this.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 2:57 am

Programs: United GS, BAEC GGL, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Could they guest in another child?

Eg wife and 3 kids travelling without me, wife has partner card, son has earned status. Wife guests in daughter #1, can son guest in daughter #2?
Old Feb 17, 2024, 3:01 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by SonicStar817
This may indeed be a thing that is being introduced. There's a recent post on the BA reddit page showing a picture of a boarding pass of an 14 year old "Emerald" with the words "No Lounge" and "14 years old" handwritten on it.
Perhaps he/she was unaccompanied.
BitterLemon likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 3:07 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
This seems very petty indeed. It does affect me,or at least my son, who uses his gold status when we travel together with other families without it.

I'm surprised that this issue is worth the time of anyone in BA unless there is some sort of underlying regulation.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 3:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
It might be intended to prevent the (admittedly edge-case) scenario where a family with status is able to guest in another entire family without. In an age of overcrowded lounges, that would be a good thing.
gw76 likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 3:18 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
Perhaps he/she was unaccompanied.
Apparently they did have an adult with them.
see: https://www.reddit.com/r/BritishAirw...ying_business/

Do they have to be on the same booking?
crazy8534 likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 3:27 am

If the child was on a different booking to the adult then maybe that is why they were not allowed in as a under 18 is not allowed in due to self pour alcohol being available . I also assume BA would have to follow one world rules
Old Feb 17, 2024, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Not supporting the measure but to at least understand the logic, I think the idea is that there is normally no access to lounge for pax under 18 unless accompanied by an adult. In other words, a member under 18 travelling on their own would be allowed in.

of course, if the child is accompanied by adults who have lounge access there is no issue, but there is arguably a paradox in saying that a child doesnít have access in n their own but do if they guest a random stranger, and I can imagine that situation occurring or even some smart ads pointing out to the paradox when denied entry.

again, Iím not saying that to support the potential change but as a guess ventured as to how we may well have gone there in the first place.
gw76, crazy8534 and TedToToe like this.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 3:50 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
I would seem fairer if they extended the 75% child fare to 17, and then have the lounge exclusion rules attached to that fare.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.