Boarding time of a delayed flight

Old Feb 16, 2024, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Boarding time of a delayed flight

Hi All,

My flight JFK-LHR was delayed by 30min. I had assumed that boarding would also be delayed by 30min as a result. However, I was called by name over the tannoy system and requested to board. I was the very last to board, but 30min before the new departure time.

I feel that I should not have assumed that the boarding time would have changed. I know this was a relatively small delay. I want to better understand what to do next time; how can I find out what the new boarding time is of a delayed flight? Should it be in the app? Should I ask a gate agent / someone? Should I assume the boarding time remains the same?
becks1 likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 3:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Unless you’ve been informed differently assume you check in and board at the normal time. You can check departure screens in the terminal or ask an agent,
becks1, Markie, MaxFlyer and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 3:46 pm

Programs: BAEC
Unfortunately for BA, their app is the last place you should check.

I really wish BA could get a great feature for accurate display of the timings for flights from gate open, gate number, last call, flight closed, take off, landing, gate arrival and delays/cancellations with everything in between that Ive missed. The data and info is there, if this was a widget it would prove incredibly popular and certainly improve their NPS at least.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 4:02 pm

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk

I really wish BA could get a great feature for accurate display of the timings for flights from gate open, gate number, last call, flight closed, take off, landing, gate arrival and delays/cancellations with everything in between that Ive missed. The data and info is there, if this was a widget it would prove incredibly popular and certainly improve their NPS at least.
Uncertainty anxiety is part of the baked in passenger experience, and BA are not alone. LHR T3 IME is particularly prone to announcing "Boarding", only to find yourself hanging around in a holding pen for another half an hour when you get to the gate.
becks1 likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 4:41 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I think I have seen this at JFK, some intimation of a delay on the FIDS, yet we boarded on time and left on time. It's different to the LHR issues in this space, I think there is some projection of NYC ATC or similar delays, which in the end is sorted out. But I guess it's the same in one respect, namely you can't change your gate arrival time unless there is a very clear message that boarding (not departure) will start at a specific new time.
becks1 likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 9:28 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
The app will pull the standard minimum ground time for the aircraft based upon its arrival time, unless there has been a manual update by Ops Control in London.
What can happen, like in this JFK scenario is that the aircraft is turned around quicker than the minimum ground time for the aircraft - lets say for arguments sake, its 100 mins. Things like a low load inbound, outbound or both, helps obviously. This is what can lead to issue you faced. I obviously agree that it could be much better. Again though, similar to the A380 post I made on APUs, QR at an outstation are no better and have the same issue.
the reality is that the only people who truly know what the accurate ETD should be, are the local station staff (or ground handler, if its an outsourced station). Unless there is a conversation back to HQ to agree upon a change to ETD, it wont be updated.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 10:59 pm

There was a post that we shouldn't believe the lounge monitors last week. Now we can't believe the app? What do we do now?
MrTravel and becks1 like this.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 11:51 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by pampa
There was a post that we shouldn't believe the lounge monitors last week. Now we can't believe the app? What do we do now?
Turn up to the gate at least 1 minute before the "gate closing" time (or realistically, 5 minutes to allow a bit of extra leeway) unless you've been specifically told that the flight will be boarding late. If unsure, the best course of action is to head to the gate, as frustrating as it is to sit/stand around there.
becks1 likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 1:21 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott GFL
What about the LHR app and notification? Isnt that a bit more reliable?

LcS
Old Feb 17, 2024, 1:31 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
The LHR app is better.

The issue is more that a gate agent can board the whole flight without having to advance the status from the initial Gate open. It is only when they want to close the gate that they have to advice through Boarding and Gate closing. This is why sometimes you see the status change very quickly at the end through to gate closed. Now I would say this appears to be happening less often than it was 12 years ago, but this is why you are advised to be at the gate no later than a few minutes before the nominal gate close time, assuming it shows as on time, and even if it still shows as only gate open.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 1:38 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by LCSinTexas
What about the LHR app and notification? Isnt that a bit more reliable?
My oft repeated advice is to always be at the LHR T5 gate at least 21 minutes before the scheduled departure, unless given a very specific alternative time for boarding. So typically an SMS / email from BA. Incidentally other airlines work on a similar basis - if you are not at the gate by time X they can offload you, it's just that X varies somewhat between airlines. In the case of BA at LHR it's 20 minutes.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Feb 17, 2024 at 2:16 am
Old Feb 17, 2024, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
My oft repeated advice is to always be at the LHR T5 gate at least 21 minutes before the scheduled departure, unless given a very specific alternative time for boarding. So typically an SMS / email from BA. Incidentally other airlines work on a similar basis - of you are not at the gate by time X they can offload you, it's just that X varies somewhat between airlines. In the case of BA at LHR it's 20 minutes.
Is it 20 minutes at all other BA locations in the UK? And is 20 minutes the norm in most BA locations globally?
Old Feb 17, 2024, 2:15 am

Originally Posted by CatchThePigeon
Is it 20 minutes at all other BA locations in the UK? And is 20 minutes the norm in most BA locations globally?
Yes it is, but a number of locations, notably LIS, the ground staff, who are not BA, come up with their own versions. But formally it is 20 minutes.
LCSinTexas and surryson like this.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk

this information is on the app already in the case of gate numbers and take off and landing is shown after landing and you have to keep a eye on the screens no airline is going to keep calling you to come to the gate you should not rely solely on a app. You are always told to arrive for the original scheduled time as delays can always come forward any delay I have ever had with a airline that has been the advice if you ignore that you run the risk of not making it
Old Feb 17, 2024, 3:37 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
It would seem simpler to me, if you are still required to board at the original time, that the delayed departure time was not communicated prior to boarding
ttama likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.