Back to back at MAN?

Old Feb 15, 2024, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Back to back at MAN?

I know this has been covered somewhere on forum, apologies, but wondering if anyone has good advice on a back to back LHR-MAN-LHR positioning flight I am doing tomorrow.

Specifically, I recall that there is potentially an option to stay airside but only at certain gates. Are these gates known to the forum and is the routing obvious?

If we do have to go airside, are there any tips to minimise the time/stress?

To be clear, we will be HBO and not technically back to back as we are on the return flight after our inbound, not the turnaround flight, so we will have plenty of time.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 10:35 am

Programs: BA GGL
At the terminal end of the jetbridge, you'll head down a set of steps to ground level. From that corridor there's a sign for "UK flight connections" with a set of steps back up to the departures area. If you get to the baggage carousels you've gone too far - there's a sign before the doors at the end of the corridor which clearly states "UK Arrivals only". Don't go through there!

It's normally much safer being on the return flight operated by the same aircraft (even though that means a shorter turnround). During disruption, flights can end up departing out of sequence - whereas it's very rare (almost unheard of) for aircraft to be swapped around at outstations.

Last edited by flarmip; Feb 15, 2024 at 10:59 am
Old Feb 15, 2024, 10:48 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
If you can see baggage carousels you have definitely gone too far. There are a set of one way automatic doors just before the carousels and you can’t get back through them.

whilst a b2b is fine with the route to the right and up the stairs as described. I don’t know the protocol if you want to leave that corridor and go to the lounge. There is a manned desk at the start of that pier and you would have to ask since you can’t return to the gates that way without biometrics. Of course on a b2b there is no need for any of this and you can merely loiter at the gate.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Ah, we deliberately didn't book a true B2B as I remember reading somewhere in here that there are certain gates at MAN where what you describe just isn't possible - you are funneled through to arrivals and have to re-clear.

Given that - if everythiing goes to schedule - we have a 3 hr layover at MAN we will want to access the lounge so will probably clear and re-enter. Any tips on that? I keep seeing comments on here that MAN is a nightmare for security etc!
Old Feb 15, 2024, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH GLD, IHG PLT
People like to complain about Manchester, and it can be busy, but in the grand scheme of things, 15 mins in a line isn't the end of the world. It is mildly unpleasant, and there are places where the airport experience is much better, but either go in the lounge or get a pint from the small bar next to KFC and just be glad you're going on holiday and not to work. I have had far worse days in my life than spending a few hours at Manchester Airport drinking beer.
Tobias-UK, BA or bust and MaxFlyer like this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lynyrd
People like to complain about Manchester, and it can be busy, but in the grand scheme of things, 15 mins in a line isn't the end of the world. It is mildly unpleasant, and there are places where the airport experience is much better, but either go in the lounge or get a pint from the small bar next to KFC and just be glad you're going on holiday and not to work. I have had far worse days in my life than spending a few hours at Manchester Airport drinking beer.
True! Lazy question, sorry, but is there a priority security line...
Old Feb 15, 2024, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by aristoph
Yes, it is hit and miss though whether it is quicker than the standard line, particularly as they regularly push others into it. I'd still go for it. You walk down a ramp from checkin to security and keep to your left for priority security which basically puts you on the first belt on your left as your enter.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 2:29 pm

There is. But whilst it saves you most of the queue, in typical MAN fashion the fast track lane merges with the general queue at the scanners. There are tray loading positions that are marked "Fast Track" but the staff direct everyone towards them, so you can often be held waiting for one to become available.

And woe betide you if your tray get rejected - often over stuff that no other airport would challenge, such as charging cables or nail scissors - you can be held waiting for quite a while waiting for your tray to be seen to. Sometimes the backlog gets so bag that nothing moves, with everything stuck behind a queue of rejected trays.

It's just a right nuisance for those of us who have to use it regularly. It might only take an extra 10 or 15 minutes but when you arrive at the airport an hour before departure (as I often do) that can mean the difference between having time to grab a bite to eat in the lounge or not - assuming you want to board in "Parking group 1", to ensure your bags make it to an overhead locker in the same county as your seat!
JapesUK, Crampedin13A and watson10 like this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 2:34 pm

Not much to add because everything in this thread is correct but, to answer this:

Originally Posted by KARFA
whilst a b2b is fine with the route to the right and up the stairs as described. I dont know the protocol if you want to leave that corridor and go to the lounge. There is a manned desk at the start of that pier and you would have to ask since you cant return to the gates that way without biometrics
It used to be possible to leave the corridor and enter the main terminal via the manned desk, but no more.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by SleepySynapse
It used to be possible to leave the corridor and enter the main terminal via the manned desk, but no more.
As I understand it, technically speaking it’s still possible for the staff at this desk to add your biometrics and thus allow entry into the main terminal, however they have been told not to do it any more and to send people through arrivals instead. It’s a subtle difference I admit, but theoretically if you’re nice and they’re not busy it may still be possible as it’s not a DfT requirement. Basically the same discretion as they used to have when this route was closed, i.e. ask the right person nicely enough and they’d open the door to let you do a B2B.
SleepySynapse and KARFA like this.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 10:48 am
Original Poster

So we made it to MAN and wish we had done a true B2B - it looks so easy! I was put off by reading deep in some thread here that there is a risk of going to a gate where it was not possible to follow domestic transfers but I dont know if that is a real risk or not?

I havent t been though MAN airport in over 10 years and nothing seems to have changed, at least in T3, apart from what I remember as quite a nice BA lounge has now been replaced by a tatty Escape lounge blaring pop music everywhere. If Id risked B2B we could have been back drinking champagne in GF Lounge by now! Oh well
DeathSlam likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 11:54 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC electrum
So we made it to MAN and wish we had done a true B2B - it looks so easy
We are all caught up in the maelstrom. You seem to have done better than most so I would pat yourself on the back.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DeathSlam
We are all caught up in the maelstrom. You seem to have done better than most so I would pat yourself on the back.
what maelstrom?!?
Old Feb 17, 2024, 8:12 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Confus
As I understand it, technically speaking it’s still possible for the staff at this desk to add your biometrics and thus allow entry into the main terminal, however they have been told not to do it any more and to send people through arrivals instead. It’s a subtle difference I admit, but theoretically if you’re nice and they’re not busy it may still be possible as it’s not a DfT requirement. Basically the same discretion as they used to have when this route was closed, i.e. ask the right person nicely enough and they’d open the door to let you do a B2B.
thanks for this. when MAN stopped using biometrics from 2020-2023 you could simply walk back in to the general terminal area and to the lounge. it doesn't surprise me that MAN are just making up rules - i can't imagine this is a DfT rule as such, and i think pre covid they simply took your biometrics so you could go in to the general terminal area, and then when you come back to go to the gate you just do biometrics check as normal.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.